Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Iowa isn't going to be as bad as people think this year, but they won't be anything special.

If all goes right they slide into the tourney. If it doesn't we go NIT. I can't see anything worse. They have some talent and have some really good recruiting classes on the way (or at least what look to be real good recruiting classes).

Yeah, Greasy explained it to me. We hang one for every NCAA tourney appearance too. Probably why it never stood out to me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
If all goes right they slide into the tourney. If it doesn't we go NIT. I can't see anything worse. They have some talent and have some really good recruiting classes on the way (or at least what look to be real good recruiting classes).

Think they'll finish any better than third in the state this year? :D

Which brings up a different point.....I absolutely love all 4 state schools playing each other every year.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Yeah, Greasy explained it to me. We hang one for every NCAA tourney appearance too. Probably why it never stood out to me.

Think they'll finish any better than third in the state this year? :D

Which brings up a different point.....I absolutely love all 4 state schools playing each other every year.

Yes, I think we battle ISU for best in the state. And umm....we were best in the state last year (one of the best teams in the country....aside from not playing our best against Northwestern St which put them in position to lose on a ridiculously fluke 3 pointer).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
God I want to see Iowa State play Illinois or Indiana in basketball soon. The game would easily sell out in Ames, as it would on the road, I would assume. Good out of conference for both teams, and a nice home and home at tough road venues.

I think this would be cool...but only with a somewhat full squad :(

And yes, it'd sell out at both IU or UI. You could sell out almost anything at those 2 places, let alone a Big 12 team.

We had 13000+ paid attendance for Wayne State....so I think we could for you guys too. :D

You know, our student section, Cyclone Alley, was advertised to us as a blatant ripoff of the Krush. Students wanting to start it here went over and talked to Krush reps. So, we're copycats.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
We had 13000+ paid attendance for Wayne State....so I think we could for you guys too. :D

You know, our student section, Cyclone Alley, was advertised to us as a blatant ripoff of the Krush. Students wanting to start it here went over and talked to Krush reps. So, we're copycats.

Well it's a smart way to start if you are trying to start up a sweet student section from scratch. I doubt, however, you have the charity part of Krush going?

I was part of Krush for 3 years. Krush does a lot of cool stuff, but with each year it grew more into the 'thing to do' and a 'i want to be on tv' thing, and i couldn't stand it. Plus i didn't like some of the organizational changes they made. The goal is to make it hell for the other team, not dress like a whore and get on tv. I was perfectly fine in my orange shirt, illinois hat, and blue jeans, being loud and creative (knowing s*** about players on the other team is priceless, especially when you can get them to look at you). A face paint and a boa doesn't make any B10 opponent 'scared', for lack of a better word. Hate the tv whores, who aren't loud, aren't creative, aren't knowledgeable about the game.

However, there are plenty of worthless fans like this at every school (please no one try to argue this), so yeah.

Sounds like you guys have a nice student section going now, that's cool.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Yes, I think we battle ISU for best in the state. And umm....we were best in the state last year (one of the best teams in the country....aside from not playing our best against Northwestern St which put them in position to lose on a ridiculously fluke 3 pointer).

I meant as far as the in-state games. Last year it went ISU, UNI, Iowa, Drake.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
Well it's a smart way to start if you are trying to start up a sweet student section from scratch. I doubt, however, you have the charity part of Krush going?

I was part of Krush for 3 years. Krush does a lot of cool stuff, but with each year it grew more into the 'thing to do' and a 'i want to be on tv' thing, and i couldn't stand it. Plus i didn't like some of the organizational changes they made. The goal is to make it hell for the other team, not dress like a whore and get on tv. I was perfectly fine in my orange shirt, illinois hat, and blue jeans, being loud and creative (knowing s*** about players on the other team is priceless, especially when you can get them to look at you). A face paint and a boa doesn't make any B10 opponent 'scared', for lack of a better word. Hate the tv whores, who aren't loud, aren't creative, aren't knowledgeable about the game.

However, there are plenty of worthless fans like this at every school (please no one try to argue this), so yeah.

Sounds like you guys have a nice student section going now, that's cool.

No charity stuff yet. It's not trying to be the "cool" thing right now, but it's got about 2800 members. The student section is at least responsible for the win over Texas in 03.

It's the Mediacom Connections channel, which shows Big East football, usually South Florida, on Saturdays. This game is even more random....

I can see Greasy....if he's some 20-ish guy wearing red.

This game is some s***ty, s***ty basketball so far.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
WTF is SnB doing in here?

alcohol kicked my ass last night, as in, pretty close to being taken to the hospital, :lol:

Anyways, this has been a great team effort.

Solid performance across the entire board.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
alcohol kicked my ass last night, as in, pretty close to being taken to the hospital, :lol:

Anyways, this has been a great team effort.

Solid performance across the entire board.

Soxfest style...nice.

I like Meachem's ball movement thus far, and Brock has been pretty solid in spurts. Shooting real, real well for the guys we have available right now.

That was some ugly basketball. We're playing 20-30 minutes of decent ball a game so far, with 10 disgusting minutes which makes the games way too interesting.

Two positives tonight are Shaw and Stemler though. I can't wait to see those two develop throughout the season.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
I can see Greasy....if he's some 20-ish guy wearing red.

Stalker. :unsure:

The Illini are going to be better than I thought whenever Jamar and Randle get healthy. The only guy surprising me right now in this makeshift group to be honest is Brock, but then again I guess he was POY in Chicago for a reason. His mid range jumper is solid, he's played spectacular defense, and if he can hit some 3's like he did in this game, he could be a real contributor. He's been in the program so long that you forget he's only a sophomore, hopefully the light clicked on for him.

Warren Carter looks really good, this was the first game I got to watch... he started off fast but got some ticky tack fouls especially the 3rd one. When we get everyone healthy we might actually be pretty good. We just dominated a team, down 3 starters, that gave Duke fits.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 01:59 AM)
Warren Carter looks really good, this was the first game I got to watch... he started off fast but got some ticky tack fouls especially the 3rd one. When we get everyone healthy we might actually be pretty good. We just dominated a team, down 3 starters, that gave Duke fits.

This team is better off without Dee and Augie. There, I said it, because it's true. Without having those 2 to stand around and watch, they actually have to play as a team and show what they as players can do, and some interesting things are showing up. Once everybody is healthy (hopefully by Big 10 time), they could surprise a lot of people. The talent is obviously there once they are healthy.