Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
This team is better off without Dee and Augie. There, I said it, because it's true. Without having those 2 to stand around and watch, they actually have to play as a team and show what they as players can do, and some interesting things are showing up. Once everybody is healthy (hopefully by Big 10 time), they could surprise a lot of people. The talent is obviously there once they are healthy.

wow, that's a ridiculous comment.

While i do understand what you're trying to say. This team has alot of raw talent and all season to figure out how to play as a team. This team is without a real leader at the moment, someone needs to emerge as the go to guy when the shots aren't falling. If that can happen, this team will have success this season.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
wow, that's a ridiculous comment.

While i do understand what you're trying to say. This team has alot of raw talent and all season to figure out how to play as a team. This team is without a real leader at the moment, someone needs to emerge as the go to guy when the shots aren't falling. If that can happen, this team will have success this season.

How is it ridiculous? Last years team just stood around and hoped Dee and Augie would do everything, and as a fan who watches the games, I know you realize that (especially with Dee). This team isn't as good and isn't a better team without those 2, but I think in the long run they are better off because guys are actually getting their chance and you are seeing better team defense and a much better version of the motion offense being run right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
How is it ridiculous? Last years team just stood around and hoped Dee and Augie would do everything, and as a fan who watches the games, I know you realize that (especially with Dee). This team isn't as good and isn't a better team without those 2, but I think in the long run they are better off because guys are actually getting their chance and you are seeing better team defense and a much better version of the motion offense being run right now.

this team is too young to be better off. THere are going to be games where the shots aren't falling and there is going to be no one to pick up the slack.

Last year dee won a few games by himself, remember the MSU game?

They are no where near a better team without some sort of senior leadership.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
this team is too young to be better off. THere are going to be games where the shots aren't falling and there is going to be no one to pick up the slack.

Last year dee won a few games by himself, remember the MSU game?

They are no where near a better team without some sort of senior leadership.

Right now, your right. But when healthy, you have a couple seniors and you have 3 guys who are money from the perimeter, as well as a lot of big bodies. Until they are healthy, it's still a problem, but this team when healthy has too many scoring options to have an off night. And even if they do, this defense is very good.

Well I think they play better as a team with Dee and Augistine.... but at the same time when we face the elite competition its going to be hard without those 2 always making plays. Also he only played 1 game but Jamar Smith looked like he tried to stepup and since the injuries id say Carter has been the go to guy. The Illini will surprise a lot of people this season.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
But are ya ready for State? :P

I really wish I could go to that game, but I have to go volunteer, and its something that I can't just skip. Oh well, one game where my season tickets will go to waste :(

We'll see if the devil on my shoulder wins the moral battle.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
Dee Brown wasn't very good last year, a step back from his first three years.. He cost them a lot, IMO.

i'd agree, but i wouldn't put it all on dee. it's not a good situation to be asked to be your team's point guard and primary scoring option. dee worked his ass off last year, so i'll skip criticizing him.

in terms of this team being better without dee and augie, i see what 101 is getting at. last year's offense was stagnant, and we didn't have near the motion and ball movement we had two years ago. although i haven't seen any of the early games, what i've read suggest that the ball movement is better and guy's cuts are crisper. if that's the case, that's really encouraging.

i am very happy to see that some guys seem to be stepping up now. it sounds like brock, meacham, and carter are really doing a nice job, and those guys were all huge questions marks. but i think we also need to step back, take a deep breath, and recognize that we beat austin peay, jackson state, and georgia southern. hardly a murderer's row. i'll withhold making any broad declarations until these guys play like this against some major conference teams.

but i am cautiously optimistic. it's nice to be playing pretty well with our three best players out. at the very least we are building some depth that will be valuable as the season progresses.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
Dee Brown wasn't very good last year, a step back from his first three years.. He cost them a lot, IMO.

Don't tell anybody in Champaign that (even though it's, you know, true). Was it his fault that he wasn't very good outside of the memorable game against MSU? No, but it is what happened.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
Don't tell anybody in Champaign that (even though it's, you know, true). Was it his fault that he wasn't very good outside of the memorable game against MSU? No, but it is what happened.

You think everything you say is fact, i love it.

You said they are better off without dee and augie. If you want to make a certain point (and i see what it is), fine, but that's not simply what you were trying to do. You make a much bolder statement on top of it.

Missouri beat Davidson today to move to 5-0. Davidson is the best team they've faced yet and it was a close game, but it's still improvement for the Tigers. Braggin' Rights might look like a real game for more than 2 minutes this time around.

With a new starting lineup of Bassett, Ratliff, Shaw, Stemler, White--IU finally had a comfortable win, with a 90-69 win over Chicago State.

Positives: DJ White had a scare early on in the first half, where he landed on his right foot funny (not the one that was injured last year), and he went to the locker room for a few minutes. However, he came back and had his best game of the season with 18 points and 12 boards.

Stemler, Shaw, Bassett, and Keeling were all great contributors today as well.

Negatives: Calloway had an off-night, and Ben Allen is still having trouble adjusting to playing in the post.

Trent Meacham and Calvin Brock:

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

We were trailing by a little for basically the entire game (4 at half), then tied it at 53 with 11:49 left.

Final was 84-63

Meacham tied the illinois 3 record with 8 :cheers

Great effort by the guys, facing a deficit and the 4th game in 7 days.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
SIU up 17 over Murray State with about 5 mins left. Looking good heading to Orlando to face Arkansas on Thursday.

Here's my mini review of the game that I posted on Salukitalk:

Right now it seems like we have two offenses: With Tony Young and without Tony Young. He's really the only one that isn't afraid of a zone defense it seems. We NEED to find a way to get the ball to Randal when our opponents are using a zone, we just can't do that at the moment. Oh and Mullins needs to stop be being so darn unselfish when he gets into the lane. There were 3 or 4 times today when he got right into the lane, had a path to the hoop where he could have at least drew a foul and he just kicked it out to someone on the perimeter. That all being said there was a decent amount a time in the first half where Falker, Young, Tatum and Shaw were all out of the game at the same time and in the 2nd half there was a time when Falker, Young and JT were all out of the game at the same time. This game was never really in doubt and was never close so we had some interesting lineups out there and because of that we had some droughts, especially when our top 3/4 scorers were all sitting out of the game at the same time. Also, once again Mr. Boyle and even Foster were able to play some quality minutes, Boyle really is a whole new player and that is going to be huge for us this season. As for the defense, this team is going to be better defensively than last season(hard to believe but it's true). The added depth is going to make these guys even more aggressive on D and allow for some fresh bodies down the stretch. The Racers literally had about 10 decent looks all game, the D was just unbelievable. We still have a lot to work out offensively but I'm actually pretty confident going into Thursday.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
Trent Meacham and Calvin Brock:

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

We were trailing by a little for basically the entire game (4 at half), then tied it at 53 with 11:49 left.

Final was 84-63

Meacham tied the illinois 3 record with 8 :cheers

Great effort by the guys, facing a deficit and the 4th game in 7 days.

both of those guys have had major success so far, leading the team in tough situations.

Evansville blasted Buffalo today to move to 2-2. They bounced back after losing a heartbreaker to Miami to beat Cleveland State yesterday and Buffalo today. They still have a long way to go, but they do have a nice group of seniors who hopefully will give them a season to build on.