Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
From the challenge so far, none of Illinois, Duke, or Indiana impressed. I don't think any are top 25 teams.

Duke is a young team that relies too much on the inconsistent play of Paulus and McRoberts. The sooner Duke realizes Paulus is garbage, the better off they are. He seemed to be getting phased out tonight as well, not starting. That said, they are absolutely a top 25 team. They have too much talent. The team will gain experience and gel as the year goes on and expect Coach K to get them better.

Northwestern beat Miami to make it 4-2 ACC. I know it's a longshot but I could see the Big Ten taking the first four games tomorrow (all but Clemson-Minny). I'm not going to say that will happen, but individually each game is very winnable IMO.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
The Al dunk was #1 on SC's top 10. If I can figure it out , I'll put it up on youtube tomorrow sometime.

That was fancy.

We got La Tech tonight. La Tech is not very good at all but this could be a bit of a trap game as we just got done playing 3 bcs schools and then we play a pretty good SLU team on Saturday. Hopefully we're ready to go and if we are we should win this one easily, but I certainly wont be shocked if it's a close game.

Also, Heads' Clones get to lose to UNI tonight. :)

Iowa State @ Northern Iowa tonight. UNI is favored by 7. Ben Jacobson texted McDermott, saying he wouldn't throw the ball to Crawford down low if we don't set ball screens for Mike Taylor, who, by the way, dropped a combined 47 in the second halff of the Minnesota game and the first half of the last game before being rested.

Row, I'm going to be disappointed if we don't get a win, just as I would if SIll was our rival. If the Salukis came into Hilton, I expect to win. :)

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 04:48 AM)
Northwestern beat Miami to make it 4-2 ACC. I know it's a longshot but I could see the Big Ten taking the first four games tomorrow (all but Clemson-Minny). I'm not going to say that will happen, but individually each game is very winnable IMO.

It was nice to see Craig Moore actually hitting a few 3's. He can shoot, but he generally seems to force them too much and go well beyond his range, resulting in a lot of misses. If he can do that a little more consistently (not necessarily go 7-10 from out there, but at least a consistent 3-7 or so) maybe they won't be quite as terrible as initially though...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
You, my young friend, are not familiar with Hilton Magic. Ask Jimbo. Even during down seasons, it's still one of the tougher places to win in America.

Oh, I know all about Hilton magic. Too bad our defense would suck all the magic out of that place. :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Oh, I know all about Hilton magic. Too bad our defense would suck all the magic out of that place. :P

All-time records for Big 12 teams at Hilton:

Big 12:

Kansas: 16-18

Texas: 2-5

Baylor: 0-6

Kansas State: 14-21

Colorado: 5-32

Missouri: 15-21

Nebraska: 15-20

Oklahoma: 15-15

Oklahoma State: 10-19

Texas A&M: 2-3

Texas Tech: 1-4

I'm not trying to prove anything other than I was curious. There's been some pretty s***ty/medicore ISU teams in there. Probably explains why it feels like we never beat Oklahoma...but I'm surprised that OU and Nebraska play as well as they do here. Colorado gets dominated. But, we've made good teams like Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma State, and the more recent Tech team look not so hot.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
All-time records for Big 12 teams at Hilton:

Big 12:

Kansas: 16-18

Texas: 2-5

Baylor: 0-6

Kansas State: 14-21

Colorado: 5-32

Missouri: 15-21

Nebraska: 15-20

Oklahoma: 15-15

Oklahoma State: 10-19

Texas A&M: 2-3

Texas Tech: 1-4

I'm not trying to prove anything other than I was curious. There's been some pretty s***ty/medicore ISU teams in there. Probably explains why it feels like we never beat Oklahoma...but I'm surprised that OU and Nebraska play as well as they do here. Colorado gets dominated. But, we've made good teams like Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma State, and the more recent Tech team look not so hot.

So that's why you hate Sampson. :D

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
There is hilton magic.....much much better teams run into an unknown bermuda triangle effect.

Salukis would lose there.

It's more of a play up to better teams effect, for some reason, than dominating s***ty ones.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
So that's why you hate Sampson. :D

That might be part of it. That and the fact he was about the only guy to beat us when we were nearly unbeatble.

Yeah Hilton Magic exists, Jimbo's descrption is perfect, it is the "Bermuda Triangle" of college athletics. I've never seen anything like the stuff that happens in that place, and I don't know of a venue in sports that compares.

In other news, I want to see a Frazier/Jamar/Carter/Pruitt/Carlwell lineup while Randle is gone more than once. I think Illinois would be surprised at the results. The fact that Carlwell had 8 points, 4 rebounds, a very nice assist, and only played ELEVEN MINUTES against a team that only played one man taller than 6'8 last night is inexcuseable. Plus, I think Carter can play the 3 in the motion since, when run properly, it has minimal dribbling. Although if Randle had played, he'd have stopped that nonsense with Vasquez in the 2nd half and Illinois wins anyways IMO, but that excuse doesn't hold water since Ibekwe was out too, which leveled the field.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
It was nice to see Craig Moore actually hitting a few 3's. He can shoot, but he generally seems to force them too much and go well beyond his range, resulting in a lot of misses. If he can do that a little more consistently (not necessarily go 7-10 from out there, but at least a consistent 3-7 or so) maybe they won't be quite as terrible as initially though...

Carmody is an amazing coach. That team has nothing, and yet they are 4-2 with 2 decent wins so far. I like Kevin Coble though, he could be something IMO, and you have a nice class coming in next year recruitingwise.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Carmody is an amazing coach. That team has nothing, and yet they are 4-2 with 2 decent wins so far. I like Kevin Coble though, he could be something IMO, and you have a nice class coming in next year recruitingwise.

Yeah, Carmody has been good at finding diamonds in the rough so to speak. Jeff Ryan impressed the hell out of me yesterday. He went to my rival high school and I was embarrassed for NU that he was going to play there on a scholarship. In high school he was just a tall, decent athlete. That's enough to make you a star in high school, but he isn't tall enough or athletic enough for both to help him in college. That said he played some good d and good rebounding last night from what I saw. I was expecting Jeremy Nash to get more playing time than he has, I'm wondering what's the deal there. That said, Carmody has his teams play to the level of the competition. They lost to Cornell and beat North Florida by 1 but beat DePaul and Miami, go figure.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Yeah Hilton Magic exists, Jimbo's descrption is perfect, it is the "Bermuda Triangle" of college athletics. I've never seen anything like the stuff that happens in that place, and I don't know of a venue in sports that compares.

This isn't a bad idea if Bruce feels Carlwell can handle the big minutes on both ends of the floor. The only problem with this idea right now is that Jamar isn't healthy. Once he is, i wouldn't mind that lineup. But it's clear now he should have sat saturday (even if we lost) because he was worthless last night and you need that injury to heal all the way before he's totally effective. Whether that's by saturday i don't know, but don't play em just to play em.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
This isn't a bad idea if Bruce feels Carlwell can handle the big minutes on both ends of the floor. The only problem with this idea right now is that Jamar isn't healthy. Once he is, i wouldn't mind that lineup. But it's clear now he should have sat saturday (even if we lost) because he was worthless last night and you need that injury to heal all the way before he's totally effective. Whether that's by saturday i don't know, but don't play em just to play em.

Problem with that lineup is that both Carlwell and Pruitt are not a threat offensively from at most 10 feet from the basket. As such, the other team can always have 2 big defenders in the post. Add to that the fact that Bruce's motion offense is predicated on three players with the ball away from the basket requiring Carter to play the same role of a guard (I think he can shoot well enough for that role, but he is neither the passer nor the ball handler for it). Chet still doesn't shoot it well enough for this lineup to work either. The rebounding would be nice, and this lineup may work for short stretches, but I just don't see it fitting the system entirely well.

Well that was the worst half of basketball we played this year. Get ready for this score: 50 to 36. Yup that's right.

Ugly it was but we improve to 5 and 1. We got a pretty good SLU team on Saturday.

Edited by Rowand44