Official College Basketball Thread

Ugh... The dream is over.

Marquette played without a whole lot of energy tonight. I would characterize just one player on MU having a good game, and that was the backup PG, so that's obviously not a great sign. Shooting was horrendous. 36% from the field, 20% from beyond the ark (4-of-20, :puke), and they only got to the line 14 times (made eight -- under 60%).

James only played 27 minutes and wasn't in foul trouble. It was wierd; during the second half, Crean, for whatever reason, played him sparingly (or so it seemed).

There's no way in hell this team should've kept up with Marquette. MU was clearly more athletic, yet decided it was okay to settle for contested threes and 15 footers, rather than taking it all the way to the hoop.

Crean said it perfectly -- we've dodged some bullets this year, against Idaho State and at Valpo. We didn't dodge that bullet tonight.

Maybe this is a good wake-up call. This team is good. But talent alone isn't going to get them anywhere. They can survive nights when they shoot 30% from the field, but when they bring that to the defensive end, they're in BIG trouble. It's funny... box score says NDState turned the ball over 25 times. That's the 'quietest' 25 turnover night I've ever seen.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 2, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
Ugh... The dream is over.

Marquette played without a whole lot of energy tonight. I would characterize just one player on MU having a good game, and that was the backup PG, so that's obviously not a great sign. Shooting was horrendous. 36% from the field, 20% from beyond the ark (4-of-20, :puke), and they only got to the line 14 times (made eight -- under 60%).

James only played 27 minutes and wasn't in foul trouble. It was wierd; during the second half, Crean, for whatever reason, played him sparingly (or so it seemed).

There's no way in hell this team should've kept up with Marquette. MU was clearly more athletic, yet decided it was okay to settle for contested threes and 15 footers, rather than taking it all the way to the hoop.

Crean said it perfectly -- we've dodged some bullets this year, against Idaho State and at Valpo. We didn't dodge that bullet tonight.

Maybe this is a good wake-up call. This team is good. But talent alone isn't going to get them anywhere. They can survive nights when they shoot 30% from the field, but when they bring that to the defensive end, they're in BIG trouble. It's funny... box score says NDState turned the ball over 25 times. That's the 'quietest' 25 turnover night I've ever seen.

Didn't ND State Beat Wisconsin last year?

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
Didn't ND State Beat Wisconsin last year?

I'd also like to point out Minnesota beat ND State this year. Clearly, Minnesota is better than Marquette and last years Wisconsin.

Edited by Felix

Lost in the shuffle due to college football news today...

Drake won at Iowa State 80-78 (just for Heads lol)

Miami beat #24 Georgia Tech 90-82

Notre Dame won at #19 Maryland 81-74 (first loss of the year for the Terps)

Florida State is beating Florida by 13 mid 2nd half

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lost in the shuffle due to college football news today...

Drake won at Iowa State 80-78 (just for Heads lol)

Miami beat #24 Georgia Tech 90-82

Notre Dame won at #19 Maryland 81-74 (first loss of the year for the Terps)

Florida State is beating Florida by 13 mid 2nd half

Good thing I bet the over in each game. :o

FSU wins, and in what certainly isn't breaking news, Al Thornton of FSU is a beast. Something about FSU and these Sunday Night FSN games at home...they've beaten Duke twice with Duke in the top 5 in these games, tonight Florida in the top 5 goes down, there was another team they beat in this situation recently i'm forgetting (UNC maybe?)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
And here comes the overrated chant. :chair

As a wise man once said....."gleefully chanting 'overrated' after defeating an opponent is like bragging after banging the ugliest girl at the party".

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
Gators look like they're going down. Down 2, FSU to the line with 4 seconds left.

Thorton makes both and FSU is going to win.

And here comes the overrated chant. :chair

Apparently Florida's team has been riddled with the flu pretty bad.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
Apparently Florida's team has been riddled with the flu pretty bad.

Well Brewer does have Mono. And Noah got sick as well. So ya, they're definitely not 100 percent at the moment. Still a nice win for FSU as they've been getting rocked through this rough stretch of their's.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
Good thing I bet the over in each game. :o

Everyone was posting in the football thread while some very notable stuff in college basketball happened today. I was just saying that college football stole the spotlight. I said what I meant.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
As a wise man once said....."gleefully chanting 'overrated' after defeating an opponent is like bragging after banging the ugliest girl at the party".

I despise the overrated chant. Takes away from what your own team did. Not to mention Florida isn't overrated, but whatever.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
That, and the "_____ sucks"

No, actually, he's good.

LOL, we do have good times when people do that. Random fan: "ORTIZ SUCKS" Me and You: "No, he's actually pretty good."

Edited by Rowand44

So just a random question but for you students: any home games over break that piss you off that they're over break? We play Wichita State and Missouri State over break at home and I'm really ticked about that. And I also know that Illinois has OSU over break. So anyone else with big home games over break?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 07:07 AM)
So just a random question but for you students: any home games over break that piss you off that they're over break? We play Wichita State and Missouri State over break at home and I'm really ticked about that. And I also know that Illinois has OSU over break. So anyone else with big home games over break?

We play 'Cuse and West Virginia early in the New Year, and to my knowledge, we're off at least until January 15th, if not the week after that. Other than that, it's a buch of mid majors (UMBC, Oakland, Morgan State, and Savannah State) and some away BE games (@ Providence and UConn). I'll willingly make the drive up for the 'Cuse and WV games, though -- and maybe I'll try and make it up for one of the mid-major games, although that's doubtful.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:12 AM)
We play 'Cuse and West Virginia early in the New Year, and to my knowledge, we're off at least until January 15th, if not the week after that. Other than that, it's a buch of mid majors (UMBC, Oakland, Morgan State, and Savannah State) and some away BE games (@ Providence and UConn). I'll willingly make the drive up for the 'Cuse and WV games, though -- and maybe I'll try and make it up for one of the mid-major games, although that's doubtful.

Wanna come with me to Carbondale on the first? :lol:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)

Clemson, the only undefeated team in the ACC.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:12 AM)

...I definitely drove through a snow storm (that i didn't know was going to be that bad) thanksgiving break 2004 to watch us play OAKLAND. It took me 6 hours to get down there (usually 2.5). It was snowing so bad i had to get off I-57 as i was going 20mph.

I'm an idiot.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:13 AM)
Wanna come with me to Carbondale on the first? :lol:

The first of january? You're going to miss one of the best days of the sports year for that?

So no one probably cares about Mizzou basketball and rightfully so, but they beat Evansville 73-54 today. That in itself isn't post worthy, but Evansville shot 28.1% as a team. Two starters went ofer the field (0-11 and 0-9 respectively) and another fouled out in ten minutes of action. That's impressive sucking. Basically Evansville's highlight was one of the players' girlfriends.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)

We play SE Louisiana and Purdue over break. Nothing I'd drive 21 hours back to Minnesota to see, but I would have at least liked to see the Purdue (Big 10 home opener) game.