Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
Where's jimbos drinker?

I'll fill in for him in the meantime...

"Weber can't recruit"

"I love bill self"

"I love russ rob and ju ju"

"Julian Wright is the best post passer in the history of the sport"

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
I'll fill in for him in the meantime...

"Weber can't recruit"

"I love bill self"

"I love russ rob and ju ju"

"Julian Wright is the best post passer in the history of the sport"

im here, just in no need to defend my up and down rollercoaster ride.

New rankings out: UCLA number 1 in both polls. WSU up to 10th in the ap, still only 16th in the coaches poll. Butler 14 in ap, 15 in coaches. SIU gets 30 votes in the ap and 22 in the coaches.

EDIT: And looking at the polls more closely, how the crunk did Depaul get votes?

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
New rankings out: UCLA number 1 in both polls. WSU up to 10th in the ap, still only 16th in the coaches poll. Butler 14 in ap, 15 in coaches. SIU gets 30 votes in the ap and 22 in the coaches.

How is WSU still behind LSU in both polls? Even worse, they are one spot behind them in the AP. They won at LSU and haven't lost to anyone, how is LSU the better team?

the polls are such a crapshoot at this point of the season because you have people trying to balance what they've seen against what they thought they'd see. once there's more weight to the "what they've seen" the polls will get more accurate.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
the polls are such a crapshoot at this point of the season because you have people trying to balance what they've seen against what they thought they'd see. once there's more weight to the "what they've seen" the polls will get more accurate.

Yeah...i'd argue that losing to Oral Roberts and Depaul and beating one good team, albeit very good, isn't grounds for putting you at #12. I don't mean to purposely pick on Kansas, but that's just another example.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Yeah...i'd argue that losing to Oral Roberts and Depaul and beating one good team, albeit very good, isn't grounds for putting you at #12. I don't mean to purposely pick on Kansas, but that's just another example.

My guess is they keep the more premiere teams near the top to make their ratings more sexy...KU should be in the low teens, early 20's

at this point, too, i think the rankings are more a way to promote certain match-ups than anything else. for example, i don't think it was much of a coincidence that osu found itself at number one a few days before their nationally televised espn game against north carolina.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
at this point, too, i think the rankings are more a way to promote certain match-ups than anything else. for example, i don't think it was much of a coincidence that osu found itself at number one a few days before their nationally televised espn game against north carolina.

Exactly, which is why there is no reason to start polls late in basketball. People would have to be more avid fans to know they are watching a top ten team early on. Also, polls don't get used at the end anyway.

Winthrop shot 60% from 3.

They were down as many as 13 in the 2nd half, but just kept hitting 3s.

And it didnt help Wisconsin insisted on shooting 3s eventhough they were terrible from behind the line and shooting 2's well.

I didnt get to see the game, although this time it didnt even matter that Im Chicago market because its not even on in Wisconsin.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)
So no one probably cares about Mizzou basketball and rightfully so, but they beat Evansville 73-54 today. That in itself isn't post worthy, but Evansville shot 28.1% as a team. Two starters went ofer the field (0-11 and 0-9 respectively) and another fouled out in ten minutes of action. That's impressive sucking. Basically Evansville's highlight was one of the players' girlfriends.

Thanks for rubbing it in!

Well, after watching Marquette lethargically take down Delaware State tonight, I'm not too confident going into the Wiscy game on Saturday. The energy that was there during the Duke and Texas Tech games just hasn't been there the past two games.

Maybe I'm being too hard on them... after all, this is my first season actually following a college basketball team from start all the way through. This might sound silly, but is it 'normal' for higher ranked teams to sleepwalk through their non-conference schedule (sans, of course, the big games like Duke, Wiscy, T-Tech). Maybe they're just playing down to their competition.

All I know is that the BC is going to be rockin' on Saturday, and I'll be quite dissappointed if MU isn't amped. A victory is possible, but they're going to have to play damn well defensively, which hasn't necessarily been the case the past couple games.