Official College Basketball Thread

Other than Smith and Haluska, Iowa is amazingly awful. Oh, and nice wins for each inner city Horizon team as UIC defeats MAC favorites and 6-1 Akron, and Loyola defeats Northern Iowa. DePaul also won at Rhode Island.

Oh, and how bout them Zags?? They played Gonzaga style defense today, I will give them that.....

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
McDermott should have never left the Valley.

Based on how it's gone the last few years, the Valley is a better hoops league than the Big 12.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
If we could hit a god damn free throw, this game would be a blowout.

It pretty much is a blow out. I hate when the slow, boring, conservative, SIU Offense shows up. Horrible.

I blame Justin!!

That game was frustrating to watch at times tonight, but the best team finally broke through and won. The game would not have been as close as it was for as long as it was if IU had hit their FT's.

SIU is a good team and is very good defensively. I think tonight, we saw that IU is just as good on that end of the court. If IU can figure out how to score consistently (you can sub SIU in here too), they could be dangerous down the road.

IU needs another scoring option but their defense has been nothing short of impressive thus far. They've got three losses (at Duke, at UK and neutral court to Butler), but they've only been by a combined 13 points which is not too bad. I'd like to see them to continue to win at home and then steal a few on the road if possible in conference play.

Tonight Keeling (out of nowhere) and Bassett really stepped up and AJ had a nice game as well.

I think if they can get either Ratliff or Wilmont to become a reliable second option (which both are capable but haven't been consistent at all), DJ continues to get comfortable and they continue to play good defense, they could be in a dogfight with ILL, MSU and Purdue for 3rd in the Big 10.

Big win tonight though, that's the best they've looked collectively all season IMO and hopefully under KS's tutilage they continue to improve and learn the new system.

Was a long ass day for me yesterday and it ended up being a s***ty one. Everything this team did to progress on offense the last few weeks just went out the window last night, it was brutal. Not sure what the hell happened to Shaw last night but he was absolutely horrific after being pretty damn awesome since the Arkansas game. Tony Young continues to be bad this season offensively and I was positive he was going to break out of it but I'm starting to have my doubts. As far as Tatum, he was great in the first half and he was absolutely terrible in the 2nd half. I like how Lowery pulled him in the last few minutes of the game to make a point, god he was horrible. As far as Lowery, I don't ever want to see Falker, Shaw, Tatum and Young on the bench at the same time ever again, who the hell pulls your 4 top scorers out of the game at the same time when you have trouble scoring as is? And last and most important for this team, we got to stop turning the damn ball over. Nobody wants the ball at the top of the key for this team, everyone calls for Tatum to get the ball from them, something needs to be done about this.

Also, we've had these refs a few times now and god they're brutal. Both SIU and IU are physical teams, let them play god damn it. You don't need to call touch fouls at the top of the damn key every time it happens. It ruins the freaking flow of the game. Becomes a whole new game when both teams are in the damn bonus half way through the 2nd half.

Anyways, IU definitely deserved to win this game, they were the better team last night. We got some work to do obviously but we'll be ok, hopefully Josh Bone doesn't redshirt, it'd be great to have a legit sharpshooter out there, every now and then.

Greasy, you can change my sig whenever you want with whatever you want to put up there.

For Justin, from Jay Bilas.

PS, You can stop posting valley scores now.

The Missouri Valley Conference does not have a single quality win this season. Let me say that again: The Missouri Valley Conference does not have a single quality win this season. That is because conferences do not -- and should not -- get credit for wins; the individual teams should.

Wichita State, Southern Illinois and Missouri State all have quality wins, but those wins should not be attributed to the conference to bolster all teams. Each team should be evaluated individually on its own merit, factoring in that team's play and that team's play only. The same goes for any and all conferences (I just used the MVC to get your attention). The ACC hasn't won a single big game, either. Neither has the Big East or the SEC. Teams in those leagues have had big wins individually, but those wins say absolutely nothing about the rest of the teams in those leagues.

If Wichita State beats LSU and Syracuse, it doesn't make Bradley a better team. By the same token, if Bradley gets drilled at Michigan State, it does not make Missouri State any less of a good team. When Florida State beat Florida, Maryland got no better or worse as a team. It just doesn't work that way, and it never has.

We need to get away from all of the conference talk and conference bragging, and just talk about individual teams. At the end of the year, that is what it is all about -- individual teams -- so we might as well talk about it that way now.

The problem with that argument is it means more for a team like SIU to beat Missouri State or Wichita State when those teams have quality wins, better resumes, and more respect. At the end of the year when everyone is looking at tournament resumes, Valley teams will have better SOSs because several of the individual teams have quality wins.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
The problem with that argument is it means more for a team like SIU to beat Missouri State or Wichita State when those teams have quality wins, better resumes, and more respect. At the end of the year when everyone is looking at tournament resumes, Valley teams will have better SOSs because several of the individual teams have quality wins.

Bingo. Bilas is just wrong here, every big ooc win the Valley has, has an effect on the rest of the Valley. Thing is, as far as the Valley goes it's more important than other conferences cause the conference as a whole is trying to prove that it can play with the big boys. All of these big ooc wins by any member of the Valley are huge for the whole conference come selection sunday. The Valley is trying to prove that it's a 4-5 bid league and if Missouri State was in one of the big 6 conferences last year, they make the tournament and probably with out a problem. They had a rpi of 21 and 4 wins against the top 50, that was by far the highest rpi to ever be left out of the tournament. But because the committee was well confused on how good the Valley was they got left out.

Now, I couldn't care less about the rest of the teams in the Valley to be honest, I would not care if Northern Iowa or Creighton get left out this year. But if Wichita State didn't beat 'Cuse and LSU, and if Mo State didn't beat Wisconsin, then when we beat those teams it wont be as big of a deal.

Basically to sum all that up, the more big ooc wins the Valley get, are big for SIU as well cause when we beat those teams it'll help our computer numbers, top 50 wins, etc. If those teams didn't get those huge wins then a conference like the Valley wont have the same respect as it's gained and all the sudden SIU'S tournament chances/seeding would be a whole lot worse.

Edited by Rowand44

During interviews today, freshman center Greg Oden was asked about how long he intended to stay at Ohio State. Oden answered "There's a very big chance I will be here four years." When asked if he really intended to be here four years he replied "Of course. I've got to finish college. That's what my Mom told me."

Big game tonight vs Mizzou, let's keep the braggin rights going.

Chester, you need to have a great game handling the ball. Gotta keep up with Mizzou's 40 minutes of hell approach and not turn it over.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
During interviews today, freshman center Greg Oden was asked about how long he intended to stay at Ohio State. Oden answered "There's a very big chance I will be here four years." When asked if he really intended to be here four years he replied "Of course. I've got to finish college. That's what my Mom told me."

I have said I thought that he would stay 2 years, just to improve his game etc, but i still think he will leave. The guy is flat out on a different level than anyone else on the court.