Official College Basketball Thread

Ok, Florida won the National Championship last year and has their whole team back.

Ohio State has the best recruiting class in the past decade added to one of the best backcourts in the nation. In that class is the best big man to come along out of high school in probably 30 years.

Edited by He_Gawn

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
Ok, Florida won the National Championship last year and has their whole team back.

Very true, but they were also maybe the least deserving NT winner ever. Not to mention they have been a huge disapointment so far this season. Like Denny Green, I'm not ready to crown them.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
Ohio State has the best recruiting class in the past decade added to one of the best backcourts in the nation. In that class is the best big man to come along out of high school in probably 30 years.

That's great, but can they play defense? As for Oden, he's a freshmen, great. However, there are still better players out there then him, even atleast one freshman. Unfortunatly 'being a freshman' doesn't win you extra ball games. In fact it gives you nothing when he's only going to stay one year anyway.

These two teams are good, no doubt. I just don't see either as the number one or two this year. And so far, neither has shown why they should be.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
That's great, but can they play defense? As for Oden, he's a freshmen, great. However, there are still better players out there then him, even atleast one freshman. Unfortunatly 'being a freshman' doesn't win you extra ball games. In fact it gives you nothing when he's only going to stay one year anyway.

These two teams are good, no doubt. I just don't see either as the number one or two this year. And so far, neither has shown why they should be.

Who gives a damn if he's a freshman? He's dominating with one wrist right now. That's the most ass-backwards logic I've seen in a long time...

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
That was exactly my point, actually.

Hah, he's playing with one hand and hes dominating. Hes also stated numerous times that he's staying for 4 years.

Oh and about the defense thing? Hes getting 4 blocks a game right now!

Oden is getting tired. He's sucking wind up and down the court right now. He'll need a rest soon. I'll be curious how much he has left in the tank toward the end of the game. If I were a Big Ten team, I'd be taking notes and see if you can push the ball up and down the court against OSU.

And yes, the Florida pom-poms (or shakers as they call them down here) are incredibly gay. It's a dumb southern thing.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
Hah, he's playing with one hand and hes dominating. Hes also stated numerous times that he's staying for 4 years.

He is dominating, nowhere have I ever said anything different. But as of right now, he is not the best player in the country nor freshman.

As for him staying, wow. I've heard, but you honestly believe that? Heck, I could be wrong and hem ight even stay, but at this point in time there is no reason to believe he will, not even his own word.

DePaul blows out the cal golden bears 90 - 62.

Fourth straight win along with wins over wake, at rhode island, and uc irvine to bring them to 8-5 after their horrid start.

Minor gripe: Had to listen to this one on radio, again, since it'll be broadcast on TV on tape delay later on today. Yes, I'm well aware that the demand for DePaul is low, but it still would be nice to get better coverage here in Chicago.

OSU has a ton of talent, but obviously they still need some time to gel. Their offensive flow hasn't been good since Oden came back, and their defense left something to be desired too. They overplayed a lot on the perimeter which lead to some easy baskets, and they didn't close well on shooters in the second half.

That said, if they work that out they're as good or better than anyone. They have all the pieces that you need for an elite team. They ran into a talented team with more experience on the road today. I'd still say they're one of the 5 best teams out there, along with UCLA, UNC, Florida, and Wisconsin (at least as of right now, subject to change). Kansas seems to be the only other team that can reach that level so far, and they've struggled a bit. No one else has really impressed me that much yet, though obviously it's who's playing well in March that matters...

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
OSU never got the ball inside enough.

To Oden? Oden is pretty mediocre offensively. He reminds of one of those akward kids who has yet to grow into his body(judging by his terrible conditioning, he is just that). He controls his own fate down low but that wdoes not help in his case. Florida did not even have to double him up. Right now he is a burden offensively speaking for OSU, but he's by far their best defensive player so what can you do?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
To Oden? Oden is pretty mediocre offensively. He reminds of one of those akward kids who has yet to grow into his body(judging by his terrible conditioning, he is just that). He controls his own fate down low but that wdoes not help in his case. Florida did not even have to double him up. Right now he is a burden offensively speaking for OSU, but he's by far their best defensive player so what can you do?

Well he's obviously going to be sluggish on offense because he cant even bend his shooting wrist and his conditioning is not quite up to par yet with what it was last year. To call his offense mediocre though is a little far I think.

The Ohio State backcourt, as I've seen in the half a dozen or so tOSU games I've seen, plays NO defense. Even in the weak Big 10, that will lose them some games. They are nasty inside though, they hung right with the Florida beasts for the most part, but the backcourt play was a clubbing.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
So in their two meaningful games, OSU has allowed 180+ points. Ouch.

two meaningful games? Or two tough games on the road?

They are a young team, obviously they need time to gel, especially with Oden coming back with one hand.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Very true, but they were also maybe the least deserving NT winner ever. Not to mention they have been a huge disapointment so far this season. Like Denny Green, I'm not ready to crown them.

Dumbest comment I've ever heard.

Least deserving ever? They won 6 games in a row and won the championship. How were they not deserving? They looked pretty damn dominant to me whenever I watched them and I'd say they have a pretty legit shot to win it all again this year.

ohio state looked bad yesterday, but give them some time. the problem right now is that without oden they were an entirely perimeter-oriented team, and now with oden they're trying to be more post-oriented. that's a tough transition to make, but matta's pretty astute and i'm sure he'll figure it out.

what would worry me is that i think butler and lewis are in danger of just being totally lost this year. butler is really, really good, but he's just disappeared over the past few weeks. lewis is getting in the bad habit of chucking bad shot after bad shot when he's not getting regular looks. yesterday was another example of that.

i will say one thing positive for them was the play of mike conley. that kid is good as hell. when he improves his three-point shooting he'll be really nasty.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Dumbest comment I've ever heard.

Least deserving ever? They won 6 games in a row and won the championship. How were they not deserving? They looked pretty damn dominant to me whenever I watched them and I'd say they have a pretty legit shot to win it all again this year.

They were one of the least deserving comparatively speaking. All teams have to win 6 games in order to win, but they were one of the worst to ever do it(Since '86 atleast). It's not hard to understand and there is no denying this. You act like I'm the first to come up with such a comment.

And everytime you watched them they were dominant last season? You must not have watched many regular season games then. They were far from terrific. That said, they do have a shot again at the NT this year. I would just be very surprised if they do it. There are better teams out there.