Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
Is it really a huge surprise that the Illini arent very good?

they showed signs of having a very solid team early this year. Getting through the injuries and showing alot of depth.

Then they lost all of that.

Randle refuses to step up, mcbride is useless, jamar is his usual hot/cold self.

Pruitt and Carter have been the only consistent ones this year and that just ain't gonna cut it.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
they showed signs of having a very solid team early this year. Getting through the injuries and showing alot of depth.

Then they lost all of that.

Randle refuses to step up, mcbride is useless, jamar is his usual hot/cold self.

Pruitt and Carter have been the only consistent ones this year and that just ain't gonna cut it.

I just figured it was well known that there has to be a rebuilding period, where he starts to coach his own guys.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
Amaker has gone to a young line up. Abrams is the only senior he has been starting. Michigan can not beat a half way decent team.

Illinois will run away with it. I can't believe how down I have gotten on Michigan basketball, thank God for SIU!!

Illinois must not be a half way decent team then.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 04:21 AM)
I just figured it was well known that there has to be a rebuilding period, where he starts to coach his own guys.

i think most illinois fans realized this year was going to be a rebuilding year and that there were going to be difficult times. what consistently successful program hasn't had a "down" year after coming off a string of success? it happens and it isn't a call to sound the alarm and forecast the program's demise.

illinois will lose one good player this year in carter, and i'd expect them to be a bit more cohesive and better next year. i'd also expect improved guard depth with mccamey coming in, although i do not expect him to start. going forward after that, weber is clearly going to have to step up the level of talent he's bringing in to the program. although i like the quality of bigs he's recruited, his guard recruiting is lacking and that's apparent now.

also, i guess i'm a little perplexed at the reaction from some illinois fans (not talking about people here) about the loss last night. maybe it's just a culmination of bad vibes or something, but when i looked at the schedule at the beginning of the season i chalked this up as a loss. we lost there last year and they returned more significant contributors than we did. frankly, i was more confident in a win saturday than i was in this one.

lastly, i agree with rowand that illinois will make the tournament. illinois has 12 wins now, and in a down big ten i look at their schedule and see the potential to another 8-10 wins. certainly in a year when many of the so-called mid-majors are strong a 20-win big ten team might not get in, but i think illinois will. they won't be there long though. probably about as long as kansas usually is. :P

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
what killer talent is going to save this falling illini ship???

You don't always need killer talent to get yourself out of a slump. This Illinois team has had to deal with a lot to key players already this season. The McBride dui, and the Randle/Jamar injuries. I'd bet in another week or two Illinois will look much, much better.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)
also, i guess i'm a little perplexed at the reaction from some illinois fans (not talking about people here) about the loss last night. maybe it's just a culmination of bad vibes or something, but when i looked at the schedule at the beginning of the season i chalked this up as a loss. we lost there last year and they returned more significant contributors than we did. frankly, i was more confident in a win saturday than i was in this one.

Really? I'm not so confident in Saturday's game, and that was before last night's letdown. We were favored last night by like 3, and it was a half-empty arena. I don't think we'll be favorites on saturday.

Last night's game was just really frustrating because it was very winnable. The guys constantly let up on defense, and when they had opportunities, they forced shots and made some dumb decisions.

Saturday will be interesting, Row and I will be there to witness it.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
I said a few weeks ago that Illinois would not make the tourney. The piss poor recruiting is catching up. Self's boys are gone.

Weber is a terrible recruiter. A guy I work with graduated from UofI, he said they should let Zook do all the recruiting and Weber all of the coaching. Obviously he was just kidding, but it shows that many Illini fans are not happy with Webers recruiting capabilities.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
You don't always need killer talent to get yourself out of a slump. This Illinois team has had to deal with a lot to key players already this season. The McBride dui, and the Randle/Jamar injuries. I'd bet in another week or two Illinois will look much, much better.

If they lose to Iowa, consider this season ovaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

From PhogBlog.com, which I love......

BACKGROUND

As a refresher, the REAL Big 12 standings is a method of assessing where teams stand in relation to each other, taking into account who and where they have played and who and where they have yet to play.

It is based on the premise that championships are won by:

1. Taking care of business (i.e., winning those games a champion should win–all home games and all road games against the league’s have-nots); and

2. Winning games on the road that the other contenders do not.

Prior to the first game of the conference season, each Contender is assigned a W for all home games on its schedule and all games against the league’s Have-Nots; to lose all of its road games against other Contenders, and to split its road games against the league’s Middle of the Road teams, who will be referred to as the “Pretenders.”

Adjustments are made to the standings when the actual result of a game differs from the projected result.

The key factor in the REAL standings is identifying the Contenders from the Pretenders and the Have-Nots. This is the only subjective aspect of the REAL Standings and is subject to change as the season progresses if actual results demonstrate that one of the Contenders REALly isn’t or that one of the other teams should be taken more seriously.

Keep in mind that the REAL standings do not pretend to be predictions. They only reflect the team’s likely record if it performs as projected.

THE TEAMS

The Contenders

The three obvious Contenders, based on the way they finished last year, their returning players, and their performance thus far this season are KU, A&M and Okie St. UT makes it a power foursome with four freshmen starters who are talented enough to win any game on the schedule if they mature as quickly as KU’s frosh did last season.

The Pretenders

k-state and Mizzou look improved enough to be dangerous at home. Tech has Bobby Knight. And Baylor has some legitimate talent. The question is whether Nebraska and Oklahoma belong in this category. I have seen nothing from either team to justify such a lofty status, but Pomeroy and Sagarin have OU ranked as No. 9 and 60 respectively, and NU as 64 and 54. I will take their word for it and at least begin the conference schedule with these two as second tier teams.

The Have Nots

Colorado and Iowa St have, to this point in the season, shown nothing to encourage their fans or concern their opponents.

THE FORMULA:

The Contenders (KU, A&M, Okie St and UT) will be:

a. projected to win all of their home games and their road games at CU and ISU;

b. projected to lose their road game against each other; and

c. assigned ½ W and ½ L for each road game against Baylor, k-state, Mizozu, NU, OU, and Tech.

The Pretenders (Baylor, k-state, Mizzou, NU, OU, and Texas Tech) will be:

a. projected to win all their home games against Tier 2 and 3 teams;

b. projected to lose their road games vs. Tier 1 and 2 teams; and

c. assigned ½ W and ½ L for home games vs. Tier 1 teams and road games vs. Tier 3 teams.

The Have-Nots (Colorado and Iowa St) will be:

a. projected to win all home games against each other;

b. projected to lose all road games;

c. projected to lose all games against Tier 1 teams; and

d. assigned ½ W and ½ L for home games vs. Tier 2 teams.

PRE-SEASON REAL STANDINGS

Here, then, are the preseason REAL standings for 2007. KU is a solid favorite to win the conference because of its talent, experience–and playing the other three contenders only in Allen Fieldhouse.

1. 13-3

Kansas

(No projected L’s; at risk games at Tech, at Baylor, at NU, at Mizzou, at k-state, at OU)

2. 11-5

Oklahoma St

(projected L’s at KU, at A&M, at UT at risk games: at NU, vs. OU, at Tech, at Baylor)

Texas

(projected L’s at Okie St, at A&M, at KU; at risk games at NU, at Tech, at Baylor, at OU)

Texas A&M

(projected L’s at KU, at Okie St, at UT; at risk games at Baylor, at Tech, at NU, at OU)

5. 8.5-7.5

k-state

(projected L’s at A&M, at Mizzou, at UT, at KU, at NU, at Okie St; at risk games at ISU, vs. KU, at CU)

Mizzou

(projected L’s at UT, at KU, at k-state, at Okie St, at NU, at A&M; at risk games at CU, at ISU, vs. KU)

7. 7-9

Nebraska

(projected L’s at OU, at k-state, at Mizzou, at Tech, at KU, at Baylor; at risk games at ISU, vs. Okie St, vs. UT, vs. KU, vs. A&M, at CU)

8. 6.5-9.5

Baylor

(projected L’s at Okie St, at k-state, at OU, at UT, at Mizzou, at A&M, at Tech; at risk games vs. A&M, vs. KU, at ISU, vs. UT, vs. Okie St)

Oklahoma

(projected L’s at Tech, at UT, at Okie St, at A&M, at Baylor, at Mizzou, at k-state; at risk games vs. Okie St, at Iowa St, vs. A&M, vs. UT, vs. KU)

Texas Tech

(projected L’s at k-state, at Baylor, at Mizzou, at OU, at Okie St, at A&M, at UT; at risk games vs. KU, vs. A&M, vs. UT, vs. Okie St, at ISU)

11. 4-12

Iowa St

(projected L’s at Mizzou, vs. KU, at CU, at Okie St, at A&M, at UT, at k-state, at KU, at NU; at risk games vs. NU, vs. k-state, vs. Baylor, vs. Mizzou, vs. OU, vs. Tech)

12. 2.5-13.5

Colorado

(projected L’s vs. UT, at OU, vs. A&M, at NU, at KU, at Baylor, vs. Okie St, at k-state, vs. KU, at Tech, at ISU, at Mizzou; at risk games vs. Mizzou, vs. k-state, vs. NU)