Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 02:41 PM)
Jimbo...I got 12th row for ISU-Kansas this year....not as good as 4th row last year....but a group of 7 of us wanted to sit together.

We'll still be close enough to harass Bill Self verbally.

harass away, dont forget the stutter and hair plugs.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
harass away, dont forget the stutter and hair plugs.

It's been far too long since we've last beat Kansas in Hilton. Should be a sellout, but the student turnout has been poor.

I imagine if we can get a couple wins before that game, it'll be loud. Games @ Missouri and home against Nebraska are certainly winnable, but ISU could win or lose either game fairly easily.

Iowa State has to deal with Mizzou's "40 minutes of something or other" first, though. Should be a good game on Saturday. If they can play liike they did at Ohio State, they'll win.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
A guy I work with graduated from UofI, he said they should let Zook do all the recruiting and Weber all of the coaching. Obviously he was just kidding, but it shows that many Illini fans are not happy with Webers recruiting capabilities.

HOLY s*** THAT'S BRILLIANT!

Do you think that could work? I've never heard that suggestion before!

Except for the other 900 times someone has made that same joke.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
You don't always need killer talent to get yourself out of a slump. This Illinois team has had to deal with a lot to key players already this season. The McBride dui, and the Randle/Jamar injuries. I'd bet in another week or two Illinois will look much, much better.

I bet this will be the first time Krush agrees with one of your ludicrious predictions :lol: :chair

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
Everything's a trap game ;)

And we're down 6 at half. We look like complete s***. Lazy on both ends of the floor, just awful. We better wake the f*** up or UNI is going to be the only remaining unbeaten in the Valley.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 07:40 PM)
Really? I'm not so confident in Saturday's game, and that was before last night's letdown. We were favored last night by like 3, and it was a half-empty arena. I don't think we'll be favorites on saturday.

Last night's game was just really frustrating because it was very winnable. The guys constantly let up on defense, and when they had opportunities, they forced shots and made some dumb decisions.

Saturday will be interesting, Row and I will be there to witness it.

well, i didn't say i was hugely confident in the win, i just said i was more confident in a win at home than on the road. that will be the way i look at most games, and percentages would support that.

i didn't see the game last night, but from what i've read it was more examples of the same problems that have dogged us early on. in that respect, i didn't need to see it.

frankly, people will rag on the talent thing because it's vogue and you don't have to look very closely to form that kind of opinion. spouting "weber can't recruit" is not news, nor is it showing any insight. yet people keep posting it as if it's some revelation.

personally, i don't think talent is the biggest problem with this team. a lack of execution, poor position on defense, crappy ball movement, and injuries are problems that i'd put ahead of "talent" right now. that's on bruce as well, but it would be a lot easier to take people seriously in their criticism of him if the criticism was accurate and not just rehash of stuff that's been posted for months.

Heart attack city here. We were tied with 21 seconds left and ended up winning by 5. Didn't play very well but a road win no matter what is huge. Now we're at UNI on Saturday, we're the only two undefeateds left in the valley, should be fun.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
Heh, Steve Alford. Giving your superiors just enough to justify keeping you.

Yes...he's gonna get his 300th win and we are 1-0 to open big ten season.

I should add, if Cyrus Tate plays like that, Iowa is a borderline top 25 team. We basically need an inside presence to be a legit tourney contender (otherwise I see us being a bubble team at the very best).

However, I think Tate has all the ability and if he plays like that both Smith and Haluska should get more open looks (and good god is Smith going to be an absolute superstar if he stays for 4 years).

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
Top 25 teams don't lose to both UNI and Drake. I was just gonna say Drake, but the last time before this year State lost to Drake, they only lost 5 games that year. :D

Guess the Valley is going to have to beat up on Iowa State even more for Heads to respect 'em. :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
Guess the Valley is going to have to beat up on Iowa State even more for Heads to respect 'em. :P

I hate the Valley, but I don't mind the George Mason's of the world. :P

I view ISU as a high-major basketball program that is not to lose to mid-majors.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
0-3 will do that to you. :P

LOL

We have a goal to win Big 12 championships and make in to the Final Four....a goal that is attainable at Iowa State. We want to be a high major.....and in doing so we can't lose to mid-majors. I hate to be "that guy", but all three ISU losses to Valley teams this year are unacceptable. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 12:44 AM)
LOL

We have a goal to win Big 12 championships and make in to the Final Four....a goal that is attainable at Iowa State. We want to be a high major.....and in doing so we can't lose to mid-majors. I hate to be "that guy", but all three ISU losses to Valley teams this year are unacceptable. :ph34r:

Well sir, that so called mid major had the exact same record as the big 12 in last years ncaa tournament. This season the Valley so far is 2nd in the Conference rpi where the Big 12 is 6th. The Valley is over .500 against the bcs conferences, the big 12 is not. And the Valley is 3-3 against your big 12 this year.

You can call the Valley whatever you please but it certainly isn't acting like a mid major on the basketball court.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Well sir, that so called mid major had the exact same record as the big 12 in last years ncaa tournament. This season the Valley so far is 2nd in the Conference rpi where the Big 12 is 6th. The Valley is over .500 against the bcs conferences, the big 12 is not. And the Valley is 3-3 against your big 12 this year.

You can call the Valley whatever you please but it certainly isn't acting like a mid major on the basketball court.

Sorry Alex, but I think its hillarious you slam the Valley. They are a strong conference with some quality teams. Sure the top teams in the bigger conferences should beat these guys mosts nights, but thats not to say there aren't good teams in the Valley (of course there are and they are darn good and can beat a lot of the good schools in the power conferences, maybe not the great one's but the good and mediocre ones).

First Iowa and ISU need to get past those guys before you even yap about being a final 4 team (at least this year). You are gonna lose and I don't consider a loss to Northern Iowa bad. We shouldn't have lost either game, but thats life and the Hawkeyes lost, oh well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
I should add, if Cyrus Tate plays like that, Iowa is a borderline top 25 team.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funniest thing in this thread. Also, as I said the day he lost Gordon, Bruce has 2 years to prove something in recruiting or show results similar to what he did with Self's guys, or he should be fired. Period.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)

The Big 12 has been bad lately. To be fair, all 3 of those wins have been over a crappy ISU team. :P

Iowa State is probably the 11th best team in the Big 12. Ask Jay Bilas, those wins aren't monumental. Big 12 teams aren't to lose to Valley teams. That's what I believe.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
Sorry Alex, but I think its hillarious you slam the Valley. They are a strong conference with some quality teams. Sure the top teams in the bigger conferences should beat these guys mosts nights, but thats not to say there aren't good teams in the Valley (of course there are and they are darn good and can beat a lot of the good schools in the power conferences, maybe not the great one's but the good and mediocre ones).

First Iowa and ISU need to get past those guys before you even yap about being a final 4 team (at least this year). You are gonna lose and I don't consider a loss to Northern Iowa bad. We shouldn't have lost either game, but thats life and the Hawkeyes lost, oh well.

You'd be lying though if you said the Final Four wasn't the ultimate goal of both teams. It can be done at both schools.

I'm just saying at a school like Iowa State, it shouldn't be acceptable to lose to a Valley team. None of those three losses, especually in the state of Iowa, should happen again. They likely will, but iit's not acceptable to me.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
The Big 12 has been bad lately. To be fair, all 3 of those wins have been over a crappy ISU team. :P

Iowa State is probably the 11th best team in the Big 12. Ask Jay Bilas, those wins aren't monumental. Big 12 teams aren't to lose to Valley teams. That's what I believe.

Never said it was monumental but still, the Valley has an over .500 record against the so called power conferences, what does that say?