Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
well, i didn't say i was hugely confident in the win, i just said i was more confident in a win at home than on the road. that will be the way i look at most games, and percentages would support that.

i didn't see the game last night, but from what i've read it was more examples of the same problems that have dogged us early on. in that respect, i didn't need to see it.

frankly, people will rag on the talent thing because it's vogue and you don't have to look very closely to form that kind of opinion. spouting "weber can't recruit" is not news, nor is it showing any insight. yet people keep posting it as if it's some revelation.

personally, i don't think talent is the biggest problem with this team. a lack of execution, poor position on defense, crappy ball movement, and injuries are problems that i'd put ahead of "talent" right now. that's on bruce as well, but it would be a lot easier to take people seriously in their criticism of him if the criticism was accurate and not just rehash of stuff that's been posted for months.

We'll have to see what happens Saturday. Word has it the locker room was closed for 40 minutes after the game, the longest ever since Bruce has been around. The players were also instructed not to talk to the media. I bet the managers had to order a few new basketball clipboards for Bruce today, among other things.

I think they'll either make a pretty good game of it Saturday or they'll come out and get rolled. Hopefully they respond to the 2 game losing streak and the closed door meeting, and even if they lose, look a lot better doing so. Home losses suck, but losing to OSU is far from a bad home loss. I just want to see something better than the s***ty effort at Michigan, because that was pretty ugly. Someone other than Jamar needs to be able to hit an open shot. And Randle better do something at either end of the floor. Too many bad fouls and too many long shots. The guy needs to get to the basket, one way or another.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
Well sir, that so called mid major had the exact same record as the big 12 in last years ncaa tournament. This season the Valley so far is 2nd in the Conference rpi where the Big 12 is 6th. The Valley is over .500 against the bcs conferences, the big 12 is not. And the Valley is 3-3 against your big 12 this year.

You can call the Valley whatever you please but it certainly isn't acting like a mid major on the basketball court.

For all the mocking of the Valley i do around here, which is just a joke, they are not a mid major conference on the court anymore, period. Bilas talks about it all the time, but a loss to a valley team shouldn't be considered a bad loss...but to most, it is. And like Row knows, until that changes, and you actually get credit for beating one of em, who the hell wants to play em? There's no point.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
From PhogBlog.com, which I love......

That was basically a strength of schedule within conference page. Putting Texas in the same tier as A&M, Kansas, and Ok. State? Absurd. However, they don't belong in the same tier as the next 6 teams either.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
We are! the-suck-at-shooting!

4-of-21 tonight from beyond the ark, and "lottery pick" Dominic James 1-of-8. Keep shooting, boys... maybe they'll fall in the NIT.

I feel like I'm watching a Chicago Public League team when I see Marquette. I don't mean the talent is at the same level of a high school team, but the style of play. Without getting too much into a high school discussion, let's just say it's rare for a CPL school to win state. Marquette has the talent, but they either aren't organized or aren't coachable. James seemed to be the problem and source of success of that team at the same time. Make him take smart shots and the supporting cast will step up.

I feel like I'm watching a Chicago Public League team when I see Marquette.

while that may be accurate across the board i think it's worth noting that most illinois basketball observers see simeon as the most fundamentally sound and disciplined team in the state.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 02:11 AM)
We'll have to see what happens Saturday. Word has it the locker room was closed for 40 minutes after the game, the longest ever since Bruce has been around. The players were also instructed not to talk to the media. I bet the managers had to order a few new basketball clipboards for Bruce today, among other things.

I think they'll either make a pretty good game of it Saturday or they'll come out and get rolled. Hopefully they respond to the 2 game losing streak and the closed door meeting, and even if they lose, look a lot better doing so. Home losses suck, but losing to OSU is far from a bad home loss. I just want to see something better than the s***ty effort at Michigan, because that was pretty ugly. Someone other than Jamar needs to be able to hit an open shot. And Randle better do something at either end of the floor. Too many bad fouls and too many long shots. The guy needs to get to the basket, one way or another.

For all the mocking of the Valley i do around here, which is just a joke, they are not a mid major conference on the court anymore, period. Bilas talks about it all the time, but a loss to a valley team shouldn't be considered a bad loss...but to most, it is. And like Row knows, until that changes, and you actually get credit for beating one of em, who the hell wants to play em? There's no point.

or the players had to order extra earplugs from that horrid high voice of Weber screeching.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 05:41 AM)
while that may be accurate across the board i think it's worth noting that most illinois basketball observers see simeon as the most fundamentally sound and disciplined team in the state.

I can't say I've seen them much, but that would explain why they won state as opposed to the several years without a city champ.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
Never said it was monumental but still, the Valley has an over .500 record against the so called power conferences, what does that say?

Iowa State is really bad?

What are the best wins outside of LSU and Wisconsin?

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 05:07 AM)
Minnesota > Wisconsin tomorrow. Book it.

Hah.

Who's going to guard Tucker? No offense, but I'd say there's very few players in the country who can guard that guy. And if you don't find someone who can D him up, you're hoping on him having an off-day.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
I feel like I'm watching a Chicago Public League team when I see Marquette.

I'm still making a decision on whether or not I'm a fan of Crean's in-game coaching abilities, but so far, the offense he's running doesn't seem to fit the team he has. This is a team that should be trying to 'out-athletic' just about every team it goes against; high tempo offense, push the ball down the floor, pressure defense. They should be allowing the 'Big 3' of James, McNeal, and Matthews to create their own shots, ie spread the floor and look to isolate the one who has the best matchup. Instead they're shooting threes and dribbling around the perimeter.

I'm disgusted right now, and you could see this coming from a ways back. Ever since the Duke game, things haven't been the same. We finished out the OOC schedule beating teams by 15-20 despite the fact that those teams, for the most part, suck, and shouldn't have been within sniffings distance of MU.

Things need to change, ASAP, or we'll be a bubble team come March.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
Hah.

Who's going to guard Tucker? No offense, but I'd say there's very few players in the country who can guard that guy. And if you don't find someone who can D him up, you're hoping on him having an off-day.

Just wait and see. And if I'm wrong, ignore both of my posts :P

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
the buckeye's perimeter game absolutely killing the illini in the first half.

They seem to be content to pack everyone in to stop Oden from scoring.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
Gotta love Mike Patrick's solemness after the loss. I can't remember the last Duke game that didn't have either Vitale or Patrick announcing it.

I cant remember the last time they played a game on the road.

It's no secret this Duke team isn't all that great. They have a young team that lacks an impact player. McRoberts is inconsistent and Paulus is simply garbage. They are rated based on the fact that their coach is one of the best out there. The team doesn't know their defensive assignments yet, which is a problem.