Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marquette lost to 'Cuse, and we're now 0-2 in the BE with a loss looming Wednesday at UConn. We suck at playing basketball.

-I'm not at all impressed by Tom Crean's in-game coaching abilities. I'm not even sure what the gameplan was tonight against the Orange's 2-3 zone. For the first five minutes, we tried pushing the ball up the floor as well as passing the ball into the middle and short-corner. And by golly, it worked! But for the next, oh say, 35 minutes of basketball. it was awful. They'd dribble the ball at half-court till about 10-15 seconds left on the shotclock, and then they'd pass the ball around the perimiter slowly. No set offensive attack, no gameplan.

-Dominic James would not be drafted if the NBA held its lottery today. He can't shoot. I think he made about one three tonight (if that -- he continues to shoot STUPID threes despite the fact that he's awful from the line). Oh, and he's a PG who can't shoot free throws. He went to the line after getting fouled while taking a three, and guess how many he made? ZERO. And he didn't even come close on one of them.

At this point, I almost want our backup, David Cubillan, playing as the starter. He hits open threes, is always intense on the floor, and doesn't make as many stupid decisions as James.

-Oh, and we can't rebound for s***, either.

This is going to be one looooooooong year...

My thoughts summed up perfectly by one of the writers at Cracked Sidewalks:

http://marquettebasketball.blogspot.com/

Every loose ball, and I mean EVERY loose ball went to Syracuse. The hustle was terrible. The o'le defense to give up layups and offensive rebounds to the Orange time and time again.

The shooting...there is nothing nice to say about it. Awful. The free throw shooting...dismal. Case in point...at one point in the second half MU was up two and Dominic James was fouled taking a three pointer. A chance for MU to go up 5 and the crowd behind you. James not only missed all three foul shots, he wasn't close. In fact the only two shots James made all night were layups. Everything else was brick city.

Even when Marquette did something good they followed it up with something horrific. Case in point...Barro at the free throw line makes his first (and the team's FIRST in the second half) and before he can take the second one we have a lane violation. Now mind you, this wasn't just your garden variety lane violation. We committed it AS THE BALL WAS HANDED TO OOZE. He hadn't even taken a practice dribble or done anything close to attempt a shot.

Oh, and coming up next....at UCONN followed by home against West Virginia and then at Pitt. I figured we would be 2-4 to start the season, but 0-5 is looking extremely likely right now as this team cannot shoot, turns the ball over at the most critical times, does not rebound well and in general does not play smart.

Thank God it's only the second game of the conference season. Then again, if they don't get it together quickly they will be buried for the season.

No way to sugarcoat it. This team is awful right now. Hopefully they turn it around but it may take divine intervention at this point.

Edited by CWSGuy406

I hate Duke and Coach K more and more

Dowdell, who was first tackled in the lane by a mob of teammates then bounced up and extended the “Virginia Tech” on his jersey toward the Crazies, was stopped by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski during the commotion.

“He told me I was too good of a player to be celebrating like that,” Dowdell said. “But the way they beat us last year, they certainly celebrated. It’s hard to control your emotion at that point and it was impossible for me to hold my feelings inside

UNC #1 in the coaches poll now. I wouldn't have been upset at all had UCLA stayed at top. I would have at least kept UCLA above Florida though with only one loss.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/men...ll/usatpoll.htm

Also sucks that Texas Tech didn't get any votes at 12-4 with wins over Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, TCU, UTEP, and North Dakota State. :violin

AP poll.

1. North Carolina (64) 14-1 1,788 2

2. Florida (3) 14-2 1,682 3

3. Wisconsin (1) 15-1 1,635 4

4. UCLA (4) 14-1 1,621 1

5. Ohio St. 13-2 1,508 6

6. Kansas 13-2 1,410 9

7. Pittsburgh 14-2 1,265 10

8. Texas A&M 13-2 1,194 11

9. Oklahoma St. 15-1 1,151 12

10. Arizona 12-2 1,141 7

11. Duke 13-2 1,090 5

12. Butler 14-1 916 13

13. LSU 11-3 898 14

14. Alabama 13-2 863 8

15. Oregon 14-1 830 16

16. Tennessee 13-2 697 19

17. Clemson 16-0 632 23

18. Air Force 15-1 567 20

19. Nevada 13-1 486 21

20. Memphis 11-3 428 22

21. West Virginia 13-1 342 25

22. Notre Dame 13-2 214 17

22. Washington St. 14-2 214 -

24. Connecticut 12-2 188 18

25. Texas 11-3 99 -

Others receiving votes: Georgetown 90, Maryland 74, Marquette

69, N. Iowa 69, Washington 61, Arkansas 57, Kentucky 36, Missouri

St. 24, Southern Cal 13, Drexel 11, S. Illinois 10, Virginia Tech

10, Wichita St. 10, Syracuse 4, Providence 2, Indiana 1.

Still no votes for Texas Tech. :fight

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
Nice to see Texas crack the Top 25.

Drexel must really be playing well?

Drexel is a pretty solid team. Already have road wins against Cuse and Nova. They have a tough game coming up against Hofstra on Thursday, should be a fun one there.

Edited by Rowand44

OSU v Wisconsin tonight.

The first match up between the 2 favorites for the Big 10 title (and perhaps a 1 seed).

Tonights game is almost a must win for Wisconsin as you have to keep home court and they are not going to want to go to Columbus already having lost at the Kohl Center.

I expect that the Badgers will try and drive and post getting Oden in foul trouble early. It should be interesting because Wisconsin's offense is dependent on the post game, but unlike many teams Wisconsin posts guards too. So I would expect that whoever is being guarded by Oden, my guess is Butch, will play out around the arc and then the Badgers will post Tucker and other guys. If Oden goes to the paint it Butch will shoot the 3 if hes open, so if he has a great game like against Pitt he could be really successful.

It should be a close match but I will say that Wisconsin will win by 5.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
Wow should be a good matchup, if you can stop the 40 year old Oden, you will win.

Thats what Illinois thought. You have to stop Oden, Conley, Cook, Lewis, and so on. Both teams are fairly deep, this should be a good tourney-type game. I actually think Wisco will edge them out as the Bucks look somewhat lost in their offense at this point in the season.

The game should be in HD. Than again the MSU-Iowa game was dissapointingly not in HD.

On a sidenote, why does ESPN2 even bother with HD since they don't appear to televise much anything in HD. And to think I was really excited when I got the channel. Please, broadcast all major sporting events (college bball, fball, NBA, NFL, MLB) in high def.

For cripes sakes I've noticed that ocassionally some NFL games aren't broadcasted in high def (ridiculous).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
Can't wait for that game tonight, and the glorious trio of Steve Lavin, Brent Musberger, and Erin Andrews. :wub:

The best bball crew in the land. The next best is the one that features Majerus (if its still there). I love Musberger and well I really love Andrews plus you get really good analysis from two of the better no longer coaching coaches (Lavin and Majerus, although Rick was obviously a superior x's and o's guy).

And Lavin always says some dandy things that are so odd that you just are left laughing. Yes I am one of Lavin's biggest fans and if we ever lose Alford, I want to hire Lavin. The guy is like Zook but a wee bit better coach (guy made it to like 5 sweet 16's in 6 years).

So far this season Wisconsin has not been in HD on ESPN.

I have to believe this game will be in HD.

I know that beating OSU is not all about Oden, but at the same time he is the player who presents the biggest miss match for Wisconsin. Butch is a nice big man, but he is not Oden. Wisconsin is used to having a big edge with their size and Oden might be able to negate it.

Cook, Conely, Lewis are all good players, but none of them are as dynamic or as rare as Oden. Wisconsin has played good forwards and guards before, but this will be their first test against a team with big time Center.

It should be interesting to see what rotation Ryan uses and how guys like Landry, Krabbehnhoft, and Hughes are going to fit into the over all scheme. Also if OSU plays zone you may see Bohannon as the Badgers do not have any other real pure shooters. (although Taylor is shooting pretty high from beyond the arc, he is pretty streaky.)

Should be a good game as both teams are very deep.

I hope Lavin never coaches again, just so we can hear his greatness on TV. :D

Lavin spits these crazy lines out like nothing all the time, and they work and make so much sense after the fact. That group is awesome. I love how they're the premiere Big Ten trio on ESPN, and Vitale never does Big Ten games outside of the Challenge.

And Majerus is great too on the West Coast games with his discussions about OHHffense down in the POHHst.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
I hope Lavin never coaches again, just so we can hear his greatness on TV. :D

Lavin spits these crazy lines out like nothing all the time, and they work and make so much sense after the fact. That group is awesome. I love how they're the premiere Big Ten trio on ESPN, and Vitale never does Big Ten games outside of the Challenge.

And Majerus is great too on the West Coast games with his discussions about OHHffense down in the POHHst.

And they used to have a great college football crew but at a lot of points this year we had this guy on there (whose name escapes me) who is singlehandedly has the worse voice and the lease amount of knowledge of any broadcaster I've ever heard of. And the women in the booth with him is terrible as well (Heads would know the crew as they did the ISU-Iowa game and eventually I had to mute it). The guy sounds like Lou Holtz, but not near as funny (since Holtz can crack me up on senility alone).

I think Lavin is a lot like DJ....its an acquired taste and obviously we got taste (especially you since you can apparently stand our podcasts, lol).