Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
And they used to have a great college football crew but at a lot of points this year we had this guy on there (whose name escapes me) who is singlehandedly has the worse voice and the lease amount of knowledge of any broadcaster I've ever heard of. And the women in the booth with him is terrible as well (Heads would know the crew as they did the ISU-Iowa game and eventually I had to mute it). The guy sounds like Lou Holtz, but not near as funny (since Holtz can crack me up on senility alone).

I think Lavin is a lot like DJ....its an acquired taste and obviously we got taste (especially you since you can apparently stand our podcasts, lol).

Heh, I know the lady you're talking about too. She's manly sounding; it's scary.

But yeah, Lavin and DJ are definitely the best in the biz. :drink

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
Yeah ESPN has never brought the HD cameras to the Kohl Center this season, not even for the Pitt game.

Figured, it seems like alot of the Big Ten games are on the HD channels but they never bring the gear. Im sure its permanently stationed at Duke. I see you edging us out tonight, but im sure we may bring payback in Columbus.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
Pam Ward is the woman in the booth in that awful duo but she isnt nearly as bad as the other guy is

from wikipedia:

5. Pam Ward, Mike Gottfried, & Jimmy Dykes

Yep thats the crew. Ward is made a lot worse because of who she sits with. She'd at least be bearable on her own, but when combined with Gottfried & Dykes...WOW.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
Yep thats the crew. Ward is made a lot worse because of who she sits with. She'd at least be bearable on her own, but when combined with Gottfried & Dykes...WOW.

I can't stand that group, and they always seem to end up doing the Northwestern games. It was about 10 times better when we got Wayne Laravee for the NU-Iowa game...

Well Rock the only way you can appreciate those pretty boys at Duke is with HD.

Scheyer, McRoberts, and Paulus, looks dont get the justice they deserve on the regular tv format.

And how would I know if all of Coach K's hair is in perfect condition unless I have the high quality 1080p tv?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
Well Rock the only way you can appreciate those pretty boys at Duke is with HD.

Scheyer, McRoberts, and Paulus, looks dont get the justice they deserve on the regular tv format.

And how would I know if all of Coach K's hair is in perfect condition unless I have the high quality 1080p tv?

Ahhh dont get anyone started on that. I guess when you play every game at home its easy to set up the 1080p equipment, since they can just leave it there for months. Im sure ESPN installed a permanent set up there.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Figured, it seems like alot of the Big Ten games are on the HD channels but they never bring the gear. Im sure its permanently stationed at Duke. I see you edging us out tonight, but im sure we may bring payback in Columbus.

Not to combat the Duke bashing, but I haven't noticed a HD game for them yet. The Va Tech game might have been, but that was ABC and I missed it. CBS is the first to do HD games this year that I've seen. I believe the LSU UConn game was the first HD game this year for the ESPNs.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
Not to combat the Duke bashing, but I haven't noticed a HD game for them yet. The Va Tech game might have been, but that was ABC and I missed it. CBS is the first to do HD games this year that I've seen. I believe the LSU UConn game was the first HD game this year for the ESPNs.

I have seen 2. It really was just another way to hate Duke.

BTW, I thought Dicky V didnt do Big Ten games.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
We (well, DePaul) get Dave O'Brien and Rick Majerus tomorrow at 6 on espn2 HD with #7 pitt visiting. Fairly positive it's HD. Sorry indiana and purdue fans, you're on espnu.

Here's hoping for a win...

No biggy for me. I'll be there.

And Dicky V mentions IU as I post this; I'm surprised he didn't mention Robert Montgomery Knight Hall.

High Definition broadcasts have nothing to do with a particular stadium. TV cameras aren't installed in a stadium or arena. A production company brings everything in and most of the time that is subcontracted out. Most of the employees working a TV broadcast are not employed by the network airing them, but subbed out. I have never worked an HD broadcast, but I have worked broadcasts for both Fox Sports Net and ESPN. In both instances, my check came from a production company, not the network.

There are a limited number of HD TV trucks. ESPN cut back on HD basketball programming during bowl season, I assume due to the lack of HD trucks. Many times, whether a game on ESPN is in HD or not depends on other games that day and trucks available.