Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
But he was tall and showed off those red and white striped warm ups like no other.

Now AJ Moye on the otherhand has to be the most exciting player the BigTens ever seen! :headbang

Edited by He_Gawn

Man, if you would have told me that OSU would have 10 made 3's and still be down 10 I'd say you were nuts.

Oden hasn't been that big a factor, I'd say it's a combination of good defense, the guards not getting him the ball very often when he's in good spots, and Greg not taking it up strong. Lewis and Cook have been bad as well, the former hasn't been that good of late and the latter is very streaky. Harris and Butler have kept it close.

Great D for Wisconsin, they're really swarming and have enough size to bother Oden. Tucker, Taylor, and Flowers have been great.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
High Definition broadcasts have nothing to do with a particular stadium. TV cameras aren't installed in a stadium or arena. A production company brings everything in and most of the time that is subcontracted out. Most of the employees working a TV broadcast are not employed by the network airing them, but subbed out. I have never worked an HD broadcast, but I have worked broadcasts for both Fox Sports Net and ESPN. In both instances, my check came from a production company, not the network.

There are a limited number of HD TV trucks. ESPN cut back on HD basketball programming during bowl season, I assume due to the lack of HD trucks. Many times, whether a game on ESPN is in HD or not depends on other games that day and trucks available.

You are aware we were joking about that right? Good info though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
OSU is just a dumb team at the moment. They're going to have to mature a lot come March.

As of right now, they kind of remind me of last year's UConn team. They've got all the pieces but aren't sharp enough yet. Lewis and Cook need to get their s*** together and become more consistent if they want to make serious noise.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
OSU is just a dumb team at the moment. They're going to have to mature a lot come March.

A ton, they havent yet learned how to play together especially with a potentially dominant big man. They are a team that should improve throughout the year.

I get the feeling that Wisco and OSU may split the series this year, both winning at home. That should make for some interesting games later on.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
A ton, they havent yet learned how to play together especially with a potentially dominant big man. They are a team that should improve throughout the year.

I get the feeling that Wisco and OSU may split the series this year, both winning at home. That should make for some interesting games later on.

They definitely need to work on getting the ball to Oden in good spots. They need to lob it over the top so he can get more dunks instead of throwing it into him in the post. He's just not good enough offensively at this point to consistently score that way, especially with the wrist issue. They need to find him in transition too, he runs the floor well and that's easy points.

As I type OSU is trying to make it interesting again, only down 3.

OSU Missed a 3 at the buzzer that would have tied the game. They finally got the ball to Oden in space with Wisconsin concentrating on the perimeter.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Hey Rex, don't look at the Evansville score tonight. :ph34r:

Actually, I was just about to post about that game. I have no clue what the f**k happend there. I mean, I know they are not in the top tier of the Valley, but how in the hell do you lose by 52 freakin points with three seniors??? Not that it hasn't already been time, but it is definitely time to get rid of Coach Merfield. He's just not getting it done at all.

Anyone got any ideas on who could be a good replacement? It would have to be someone that can recruit to a university with higher academic standards than state schools. The university is very small (2,800 students?) and predominately white in a german catholic city. Not that a lot of Valley schools are in real exciting cities, Evansville is pretty conservative without much nightlife. Combine that with a super small student body and it does not make for a real enticing situation for a lot of kids these days.

The positives... A strong tradition and a fan base that will supoort it like few others when the product is competitive. When I was in school and for a few years after in the early 90's, they averaged around 10,000 per game which is not bad for a school with less than 3,000 students. Academics are strong and the program is the focus of the community when going strong, both in-season and out of season.

With IU being so dominant in the state, someone with ties to IU with some name recognition could provide an instant spark (see Jim Crews in the mid 80's) to the program.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of some of you guys. There are some pretty good basketball minds in this thread.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
ODEN WAS OPEN :P

What a finish, I thought for sure Taylor would knock down both. Great win for Wiscy even though they almost let it slip away.

Im excited for the next battle at OSU. Ya gotta love conference play, gives you a little taste of tourney atmosphere.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
Im excited for the next battle at OSU. Ya gotta love conference play, gives you a little taste of tourney atmosphere.

No doubt that will be an awesome game, Wisconsin is just tough as all hell at home. OSU just got too out of control for a stretch of the game and dug themselves too big of a hole.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
No doubt that will be an awesome game, Wisconsin is just tough as all hell at home. OSU just got too out of control for a stretch of the game and dug themselves too big of a hole.

Agreed, Wisco is also too experience at this point compared to OSU, they still dont know how to play together. Im sure they will figure it out soon enough, but at this point, its somewhat ugly at times.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
Agreed, Wisco is also too experience at this point compared to OSU, they still dont know how to play together. Im sure they will figure it out soon enough, but at this point, its somewhat ugly at times.

Yup and fortunately for OSU they are talented enough to get by most teams even without playing great ball together, and there is still plenty of time for them to gel before March.

Was a good game, Wisconsin needs to hit more ft's at the end of the game but outside of that they played really well.

It seemed that Oden still is not 100% in shape, at times he seemed tired and Wisconsin was effective running and penatrating before Oden could get back. With 2 more potential match ups it will be interesting to see what changes. I really like OSU as a team and think that they are capable of beating anyone. Today they just played against a more experienced team on the road. Great effort.

Landry was outstanding, Bo got a little carried away matching him on Oden. Badgers mainly stayed with their normal offense, Taylor was hot so it made the game much easier otherwise Wisconsin could have really struggled and had to get more creative.

Should be a good season for both teams.

great game tonight. taylor and tucker played really well. as much as i'm not a huge wisconsin basketball fan i have to say that after a few years tucker has grown into one of my favorite all-time hoops players. he just gets it done. i'm not sure how his game translates to the pro's, but time and time again he gets it done.

i'm also becoming more and more convinced that ohio state has a final four team on its hands. i'm not sure they're going to win it all, but i truly believe they'll be right there when it's all said and done.