Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
Oden reminds me of Ewing when he was his age.

Take that thought and imagine Oden if he stayed in college four years. Damn that would be fun to see.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
yep. and anyone with any appreciation for basketball history knows that indiana and illinois have had a good rivalry for a long time. he makes it sounds like it just started when sampson showed up. that just shows no appreciation for the history of the big ten. and for the record, the rivalry was 10 times more heated back in the day than it is now. knight and henson were classic.

"he's a big bully." lol.

That, or maybe the rivalry between IU and UI is only 4th or 5th on the list of important games in a season? Maybe we just find the obsessing over IU fans by the Illini to be comical since they really aren't a big deal to us?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Maybe we just find the obsessing over IU fans by the Illini to be comical since they really aren't a big deal to us?

I still dont f***ing see where this is going on.

WHERE

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
:lolhitting

I just can't stand when one peron's post is made to represent an entire fan base

I can only speak for myself, but it is not just one fan's posts that have changed my feelings for Illinois. There is more than one poster here and others on other boards that seem to have a chip on their shoulder about IU. Kinda like little brother syndrome. While there are intelligent and rational Illini posters on here, my feeling is there are fewer than the opposite.

Quite simply, I am a Big Ten guy first and foremost. I root for Big Ten teams all the time. But I am beginning to find myself hoping Illinois loses and I don't like that. It never occurred before I started talking college basketball on a couple of message boards. It doesn't occur with other teams (although Rock sometimes makes me want to root against OSU). So for me, who considers himself to be pro-conference and someone that enjoys friendly rivalries (okay, so I really dislike Purdue) to start a consistent dislike for a team bugs me. Maybe its all my fault. But it's real.

Well Rex your first post claimed that you guys don't obsess about Illinois in any way. Yet Aboz and others are on here constantly bring up the 'jealous of EJ' bs whether EJ is the topic at hand. This particular time it wasn't.

Just like you with Illinois, i'm hoping IU loses more and more due to certain posters around here. There's quite a few people who can add some good discussion to this thread, then there are others that spew constant garbage and jump all over other teams and their fans for pretty much no reason.

Of course we're all going to take our respective sides on the Gordon thing due to our team loyalties, but that doesn't mean it should be brought up every time an IU or UI opinion comes up around here.

At times this thread is way more of a b****ing fest than it is actual discussion, and that's a damn shame. Some of these acts are getting tiresome.

It's not fair to criticize an entire fan base based on message board postings of certain idiots who most likely have no affiliation with the university.

The Illinois fans I know, Krush, SNB and a few others, seem to all be class individuals. However, there are a few fans on here, who for whatever reason, seem to keep constantly talking on Sampson and IU. My comments earlier were directed at those people, not the people who found it necessary to respond to my post. Those people (Krush and WHarris) should know my comments were not directed at them.

As far as Illinois goes, I used to root for the Big 10 teams when they weren't playing IU or Michigan State (whom I cheer for because I am a huge Izzo fan and he is a friend of my family). However, after the whole ordeal that happened with Gordon and what I read on some message boards (some of it here and some on other forums) I have really developed a strong dislike for Illinois based on some of the comments I have read that are not only unnecessary but borderline threats and harassment.

That is pretty much my take on the situation.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 07:22 PM)
It's not fair to criticize an entire fan base based on message board postings of certain idiots who most likely have no affiliation with the university.

The Illinois fans I know, Krush, SNB and a few others, seem to all be class individuals. However, there are a few fans on here, who for whatever reason, seem to keep constantly talking on Sampson and IU. My comments earlier were directed at those people, not the people who found it necessary to respond to my post. Those people (Krush and WHarris) should know my comments were not directed at them.

As far as Illinois goes, I used to root for the Big 10 teams when they weren't playing IU or Michigan State (whom I cheer for because I am a huge Izzo fan and he is a friend of my family). However, after the whole ordeal that happened with Gordon and what I read on some message boards (some of it here and some on other forums) I have really developed a strong dislike for Illinois based on some of the comments I have read that are not only unnecessary but borderline threats and harassment.

That is pretty much my take on the situation.

If they were not directed at me, then I should not have posted negatively about you. I'm over the whole Gordon thing. Unhappy? Sure, who wants to lose out on a recruit...but it's over and we should move on and just watch basketball.

I know you know your stuff Aboz, your post, at least the tail end of it (which i thought was directed at all of us) just threw me off.

Also, we all know i can't stand some of the 'illini' posters on here anyway.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
If they were not directed at me, then I should not have posted negatively about you. I'm over the whole Gordon thing. Unhappy? Sure, who wants to lose out on a recruit...but it's over and we should move on and just watch basketball.

I know you know your stuff Aboz, your post, at least the tail end of it (which i thought was directed at all of us) just threw me off.

I think its obvious who I am referring to. The act of that individual has worn thin on my nerves and when he posts snide remarks that are uncalled for, I'm going to take him to task. That is all. Nothing personal towards you at all, I hope you would know that. Sorry if you thought otherwise or if you thought I was referring to you specifically.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Yup, basically just the last line of your post caught me off guard and I got overly defensive.

Nice avatar, let me know when you verbal to the Hoosiers....

:D

No big deal, it just threw me for a loop. I read it and just got upset again, should have thought about if for a minute, would have realized you didn't throw that on all of us. I had the same reaction WHarris did, kind of like, WTF was that for?

Edit: Aboz i kind of thought it was all of us when you said "I feel sad for Orange Krush..." I just thought it was labeling all of us Illini fans.

Anyway, the way the two teams are headed right now, i'm worried about the IU game at our place coming up, more so than i was about a month ago.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
No big deal, it just threw me for a loop. I read it and just got upset again, should have thought about if for a minute, would have realized you didn't throw that on all of us. I had the same reaction WHarris did, kind of like, WTF was that for?

Edit: Aboz i kind of thought it was all of us when you said "I feel sad for Orange Krush..." I just thought it was labeling all of us Illini fans.

Anyway, the way the two teams are headed right now, i'm worried about the IU game at our place coming up, more so than i was about a month ago.

They've yet to win on the road, granted their 3 true road games have been Duke, UK and Ohio State. We've been in every game though, that's something new. Davis would just let them get blown out against a better team. I think it would be a pretty good game, although I think IU's defense could cause some problems for Illinois. They've been locking people up very well lately. I'll be interested to see how we do Saturday at Penn State.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
:lolhitting

The avatar is now going to be a rotating big 10 random player flashback.

If you ever use Moye again, you have to use the image of him owning Boozer in the 2002 Sweet 16.

MOYEwiththeblock.jpg

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Well Rex your first post claimed that you guys don't obsess about Illinois in any way. Yet Aboz and others are on here constantly bring up the 'jealous of EJ' bs whether EJ is the topic at hand. This particular time it wasn't.

Just like you with Illinois, i'm hoping IU loses more and more due to certain posters around here. There's quite a few people who can add some good discussion to this thread, then there are others that spew constant garbage and jump all over other teams and their fans for pretty much no reason.

Of course we're all going to take our respective sides on the Gordon thing due to our team loyalties, but that doesn't mean it should be brought up every time an IU or UI opinion comes up around here.

At times this thread is way more of a b****ing fest than it is actual discussion, and that's a damn shame. Some of these acts are getting tiresome.

I'm curious who the others are because I'm not seeing any others. Maybe it's because I really haven't even been that active in the CBB thread, because of this exact reason: it's just a s***hole. You mention Aboz, but who else has said anything about that? All the generalizations on here are f***ing pointless. Grow up everyone.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
I'm curious who the others are because I'm not seeing any others. Maybe it's because I really haven't even been that active in the CBB thread, because of this exact reason: it's just a s***hole. You mention Aboz, but who else has said anything about that? All the generalizations on here are f***ing pointless. Grow up everyone.

When will Illinois fans realize the world is not out to get them??

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
Duh Bill Self haha

Kansas is gonna f*** me come March, because they quite obviously have a damn solid team yet it will be hard to predict them advancing too far.

By the way, as much as it pains me to say it, Sherron looks damn good.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
Kansas is gonna f*** me come March, because they quite obviously have a damn solid team yet it will be hard to predict them advancing too far.

Kansas is playing out of their minds and getting better and better. I love Sherron Collins, but i cant wait till they play B School in the first round.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
Kansas is playing out of their minds and getting better and better. I love Sherron Collins, but i cant wait till they play B School in the first round.

That's just weird as hell I edit in something about Sherron and you make a post about him...

How many guys can you see jumping pro after this year?