Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
I just got back from my 9:05 AM class. In the class is Armon Bassett, Xavier Keeling, Mike White and Earl Calloway. Bassett is also in my Tuesday/Thursday class.

I don't really get star struck but I think it'll be pretty neat having them in my class for the basketball season.

Yeah I had 3 NBA players in various classes. Gooden, Hinrich and Collison. They are normal people, and they may even respond to you, if you dont puke on your shoes.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a class with numerous Illini players, and the only one who ever showed up was Brian Cook. He's a GREAT guy...which is a hell of a lot more than I can say about a certain trio that was popular at U of I. My brother had class with Dee, Deron, Luther, Augustine, etc., and let's just say he only had good things to say about two of them, and the rest were tools.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
I just got back from my 9:05 AM class. In the class is Armon Bassett, Xavier Keeling, Mike White and Earl Calloway. Bassett is also in my Tuesday/Thursday class.

I don't really get star struck but I think it'll be pretty neat having them in my class for the basketball season.

IM sure they wont be in class very often. I had class with several players in my college career, and they went for the first day, and the last day, while the tutors for the team taught them the rest of the year.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Yeah I had 3 NBA players in various classes. Gooden, Hinrich and Collison. They are normal people, and they may even respond to you, if you dont puke on your shoes.

Yeah, even at at a school that sleeps, eats and breathes basketball.... the players are just "other" students, students with an incredible amount of pull.( I used drool over the endless boxes of nikes they got delivered every week.) Lived down the hall from Pierce, LaFrentz....Kenny Gregory and Lester Earl LOl. Theyre all really down to earth guys looking for some fun just like the rest of us :P

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
IM sure they wont be in class very often. I had class with several players in my college career, and they went for the first day, and the last day, while the tutors for the team taught them the rest of the year.

I've had class with several players the past few years, and they've been in class everyday with the exception of when the game's on the road.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
I've had class with several players the past few years, and they've been in class everyday with the exception of when the game's on the road.

Yup, just depends on the guy.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Yup, just depends on the guy.

I think it's more the school. I had classes with starters as recent as last semester, and they were in class everyday. And in my opinion, you'd expect the bigger names to be the ones to skip class or be able to or w/e.

I know the players can't even get away with skipping here, since the managers are required to do attendance checks at random.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
Now that I think about it, Iowa Asst. Craig Neal could be a solid candidate. He's from Washington, IN, about 45 minutes from Evansville. Maybe they can hire him quick enough to have him talk Tyler Zeller into staying "home" and turning the program around? Okay, a pipe dream maybe, but an interesting thought.

Thinking a bit more on it, the best choices I can think of right now are:

1. Craig Neal

2. Marty Simmons

3. Brad Brownell

4. Lennox Forrester

Forrester is a Bradley assistant who was on Jim Crews Evansville staff for 10 years. Forrester came to Evansville from an Oklahoma JC highly heralded. He was injured before he ever played a game at UE and never played for them. Crews kept him on scholarship and gave him a grad assistantship. He stayed on staff for 10 years. I remember meeting Lennox at a part the night of his recruiting visit. We talked for about 20 minutes, so I will take all the credit in the world for success so far. ;-)

No, you can't have Craig Neal. He's our superstar recruiting and Alfords right hand man.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
I see maybe one or two.

I believe Chalmers and Wright will stay till JR year. Chalmers because his dad is on staff, and JuJu will graduate early. Rush is unknown,depends on his play in march, and Arthur is a stud, but this is a deep class.

Wright and Arthur definitely have the highest stock, both would probably be lottery picks even this year. I got the impression during his recruiting that Arthur is one-and-done, though my memory might be fuzzy on that. I thought I read that Wright already said he will be back next year. That'd probably be smart, as he can easily go top-5 if he works hard on his jumper. Rush has always wanted to go pro but his stock seems to keep sliding, kind of reminds me of Daniel Gibson's situation last year. If he's smart he'd probably stay, but who knows. Chalmers would probably be back as of right now, but if he kicks ass he might leave because this is a pretty weak PG class.

It's kind of hard to say, you just don't know with a lot of these guys. So far I would say that Durant and Brandan Wright are near locks to declare (and probably Arthur as I mentioned), and it looks like Oden will stay as of right now. I get the feeling that the Florida guys are gone, but then again they all stayed last year. The rest is basically up in the air.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
Wright and Arthur definitely have the highest stock, both would probably be lottery picks even this year. I got the impression during his recruiting that Arthur is one-and-done, though my memory might be fuzzy on that. I thought I read that Wright already said he will be back next year. That'd probably be smart, as he can easily go top-5 if he works hard on his jumper. Rush has always wanted to go pro but his stock seems to keep sliding, kind of reminds me of Daniel Gibson's situation last year. If he's smart he'd probably stay, but who knows. Chalmers would probably be back as of right now, but if he kicks ass he might leave because this is a pretty weak PG class.

It's kind of hard to say, you just don't know with a lot of these guys. So far I would say that Durant and Brandan Wright are near locks to declare (and probably Arthur as I mentioned), and it looks like Oden will stay as of right now. I get the feeling that the Florida guys are gone, but then again they all stayed last year. The rest is basically up in the air.

Very good summary!!!

I think Wright is staying, as you noted above. Arthur is asking for less playing time, and more practice time, and hes been really off since Boston College pummeled him. Actually our best player recently, has been the Sophisticated Electrical Engineering MAd Mad Sasha Kaun.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on Brandan coming back next year. I'm just enjoying his talent while I can. He has grown another inch and is now 6'10 and has put on some muscle. Oden, Durant, and Wright are locks for the top 5.

I think Oden comes back.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
I think Oden comes back.

I'd like to think this all depends on who is in line to win the lottery with the most ping pong balls. Of course, there are no guarentees, but I dont see anyone excited to jump to play for Atlanta or some s*** team like that.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
I'd like to think this all depends on who is in line to win the lottery with the most ping pong balls. Of course, there are no guarentees, but I dont see anyone excited to jump to play for Atlanta or some s*** team like that.

Oden on Atlanta can make them a pretty solid team actually, and a young team that would be around for a long time.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
I think it's more the school.

Indeed.

I had a philosophy class with Andre Brown (playing for the seattle sonics now actually :)) and we sat next to each other in the very back for the whole semester. Boring class and he would sometimes borrow my Slam magazines, but he always attended. Since DePaul isn't huge, you can catch most of the guys walking to and from classes or hanging around throughout the day.

When I was at FSU, on the other hand, I had classes with lots of football players, and some (not all) skipped A LOT. Some you'd only see the first day and day of the final. Some would show up though. Also depends on the professor (or ta far too often).

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)

Atlanta has a lot of talent.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)

I just hear that he loves college and his teammates and at this point wants to stay. Of course this could all change.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
I just hear that he loves college and his teammates and at this point wants to stay. Of course this could all change.

That's all I ever hear too. Plus his parents really want him to stay.

IU @ Penn State today. Today will be very telling to where this team actually stands. True, we're 24-3 lifetime (all 3 losses on the road) against Penn State, but two of those losses are in the last three years. Last year's was notably the game when the rumors of Mike Davis resignation officially broke.

If the Hoosiers can get a relatively easy W, it will bode well for where things are going. Also, they will get some much needed confidence for the mini-road trip beginning next weekend (@ UConn and Illinois). If not, the hype train surrounding the recent play will have to slow down quite a bit, with the tough stretch ahead.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
Roderick Wilmont with 6 threes and 20 points at the half. He is shooting out of his freakin mind.

I wish he would do that consistently. Some games he seems to disappear and doesn't even take shots, let alone make them.