Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
If it were to happen, I would like SIU's chances against Indiana on a neutral court.

Justin, that sig is old!!!

Two more damn days.

A SIU-IU rematch would be fun as both teams have improved a great deal since that game and now we have another weapon that we didn't have back then. Anywho, back to things actually happening now, Evansville tonight, must revenge that horrible loss from last season.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the home court was much of an advantage for Indiana in the December meeting, since the refs called ticky tack s*** on both teams. Also, we (the students) were all on break, so that place wasn't even close to being as loud as it normally is, regardless how many people were in the building.

But anyways...though it's a long shot, I wouldn't be mad to have a post-season rematch against the Salukis.

Man, Greg Oden was pretty quiet for most of the first half, then gets a monster block on a Ryan drive and slams down a vicious alley oop right before the buzzer. He goes through some monster quiet stretches, they need to try to lob it over the top to him more often.

OSU is of course killing NU regardless, 34-15. :bang

Illini win at Minne 64-52

Carter, Randle had good games on offense. Trent played some pretty good PG, filliing in for Chester, who is still seriously banged up.

Up 16 at half, it became a 'game' late in the 2nd half because we slept through much of it. I wish they would have put the pedal to the metal and just blew em out, but i guess we'll take what we can get. The game was never in serious doubt whatsoever. We had a really good first half and played well in stretches in the 2nd. Hopefully we can start playing 2 halves in a basketball game...

Home against Wisky saturday.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)
Illinois is going DOWN tonight :)

*sigh*

We played heartless for the first half and change, but at least made it a game in the second half. I thought we had a chance when the intentional foul was called, but oh well.. at least it was fun towards the end.

The real story of the game was Tim Brewster at halftime, telling me everything I wanted to hear. He said that we are going to do one thing: recruit, recruit, recruit. He said he's going to get the players to play balls out (other words of course) every Saturday, and we said we're going to go to Pasadena. Great guy it seems, especially if both his sons (especially Clint this year) end up coming here :)

We just got our asses handed to us by Evansville. This is the worst f***in defensive effort this team has ever had. This loss is completely unf***inacceptable. Piss poor f***in performance, f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f***.

I'm going to go f***in run into a wall the rest of the night.

f***

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
We just got our asses handed to us by Evansville. This is the worst f***in defensive effort this team has ever had. This loss is completely unf***inacceptable. Piss poor f***in performance, f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f***.

f***

Lowery is recruiting good talent for us, but when can I look at him and start to think his coaching is lackluster. We are worthless against a zone.

Evansville? Just when Virginia Tech was helping us out and making us look good, we lay an egg to the Aces? Rex Hudler will be estatic.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)

f***

SIU lol

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Iowa State is the 10th or 11th best team in the conference. They should be better than Colorado, but may not even beat them.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
ISU could start 4-1 in conference with Colorado and KState next. That'd be an awfully sweet cushion with two road games at Okie State and A&M after that. I still think we can win 9-10 games in conference if everything breaks right.

Colorado 74, Iowa State 65

You should have stuck with your original thought. I (almost) hate to be a dick, but I couldn't help it. Besides, Mizzou is 0-4 in conference and their next game is at Colorado so feel free to pile on if the Tigers don't get it done, I might even join you.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
Lowery is recruiting good talent for us, but when can I look at him and start to think his coaching is lackluster. We are worthless against a zone.

Evansville? Just when Virginia Tech was helping us out and making us look good, we lay an egg to the Aces? Rex Hudler will be estatic.

I'm shocked, more like it. Just as I was ready to mount a serious campaign to get rid of Merfeld, he slows the movement down. Granted it is all a mirage. Just enough window dressing so you have trouble seeing the real picture.

And if you don't want Lowery, send him back home to Evansville. We'll need a good coach next year and we'd take him in a heart beat.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 03:18 AM)

f***

Find a locker and punch it.

Hard.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Potential big break for the Noles with us playing you guys on Tuesday.

BTW we beat VT today. They looked horrible, I do not know how they beat UNC and Duke.

It's a big break for everyone in the ACC. Boston College was arguably the best team in that conference with a sober Williams and McClain. f***ing can't believe this s***.. How f***ing stupid can you f***ing be? A future NBA star loses his eligibility for a couple joints? f***ing moron.. god damnit

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
It's a big break for everyone in the ACC. Boston College was arguably the best team in that conference with a sober Williams and McClain. f***ing can't believe this s***.. How f***ing stupid can you f***ing be? A future NBA star loses his eligibility for a couple joints? f***ing moron.. god damnit

BC was quite easy for us, with half our team puking on the bench with stomach flu.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)

Come on now, I know your pissed off, but that's going a little overboard. BC is not the best team in the conference, not with a shortage of quality wins and losses to Vermont and Duqusne, and Williams is talented, but is far from a future NBA star, more like a POSSIBLE mid-first round pick before this incident, which isn't saying all that much for an athletic 6'10" guy.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
Come on now, I know your pissed off, but that's going a little overboard. BC is not the best team in the conference, not with a shortage of quality wins and losses to Vermont and Duqusne, and Williams is talented, but is far from a future NBA star, more like a POSSIBLE mid-first round pick before this incident, which isn't saying all that much for an athletic 6'10" guy.

totally agreed

You're referencing games where Williams and McClain were out in one of them and Dudley, McClain, and Oates were out the other. They had started to come around and we're beginning to play the best basketball they've played this season in this 5-0 ACC start.

Williams has more athleticism than Tyrus Thomas. He was well on his way to being the defensive player of the year, he'll still have a chance to win it with his 75 blocks, and with a good run in the tournament as I'd expect them to have with a full squad, he'd have been bumped into a lottery pick.

As for being one of the better teams in the ACC.. Without Sean Williams and Akida McClain we'll never truly know, but it's a good bet they are number two behind North Carolina.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
You're referencing games where Williams and McClain were out in one of them and Dudley, McClain, and Oates were out the other. They had started to come around and we're beginning to play the best basketball they've played this season in this 5-0 ACC start.

Williams has more athleticism than Tyrus Thomas. He was well on his way to being the defensive player of the year, he'll still have a chance to win it with his 75 blocks, and with a good run in the tournament as I'd expect them to have with a full squad, he'd have been bumped into a lottery pick.

As for being one of the better teams in the ACC.. Without Sean Williams and Akida McClain we'll never truly know, but it's a good bet they are number two behind North Carolina.

They still had more than enough talent to avoid losing by 14 to Vermont, and unless the whole starting lineup was out with the flu there's no excuse for losing to Duquesne, they're awful. And they don't exactly have wins over Florida and Oklahoma State to counteract those losses like Kansas does, and BC has 2 more to go with it with a fairly weak schedule. That 5-0 start in ACC play isn't exactly the greatest evidence either, outside of Maryland those wins are over NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Miami, which all have at least 6 losses.

Have you watched Tyrus play? Williams is no stiff, but he's not quite on the same level. That's really not the case, otherwise he'd be projected to go much higher in the draft. MAYBE he slides into the lottery, but that's still a long way from being an NBA star, and regardless of what happens he's about the #5 post player at absolute best.

It's really hard to say where BC falls because they've really only played 2 good teams all year: one the loss to Kansas and the other a win at home against a somewhat schizoprenic Maryland team. The vast majority of their tough games lie in front of them, so I don't think you can conclusively say that they're the best or even close. I would say they're definitively worse than Carolina, and probably fall somewhere in the next group with Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Clemson. I'd personally say they're 3rd out of that group, maybe 4th or even 5th, though it's hard to be definitive without seeing them play head to head. Duke, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech have definitely accomplished more so far, and Clemson is comparable.

Edited by ZoomSlowik