Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
They still had more than enough talent to avoid losing by 14 to Vermont, and unless the whole starting lineup was out with the flu there's no excuse for losing to Duquesne, they're awful. And they don't exactly have wins over Florida and Oklahoma State to counteract those losses like Kansas does, and BC has 2 more to go with it with a fairly weak schedule. That 5-0 start in ACC play isn't exactly the greatest evidence either, outside of Maryland those wins are over NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Miami, which all have at least 6 losses.

Have you watched Tyrus play? Williams is no stiff, but he's not quite on the same level. That's really not the case, otherwise he'd be projected to go much higher in the draft. MAYBE he slides into the lottery, but that's still a long way from being an NBA star, and regardless of what happens he's about the #5 post player at absolute best.

It's really hard to say where BC falls because they've really only played 2 good teams all year: one the loss to Kansas and the other a win at home against a somewhat schizoprenic Maryland team. The vast majority of their tough games lie in front of them, so I don't think you can conclusively say that they're the best or even close. I would say they're definitively worse than Carolina, and probably fall somewhere in the next group with Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Clemson. I'd personally say they're 3rd out of that group, maybe 4th or even 5th, though it's hard to be definitive without seeing them play head to head. Duke, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech have definitely accomplished more so far, and Clemson is comparable.

Red and White.. even more bias than me.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams won't even sniff the first round after this and to be honest he doesn't deserve it. He thought he could get by failing the tests and that BC wouldn't do anything about it. Well that wasn't the case and it's a complete shame he couldn't just stop smoking.

People speculated that he was high for some of the games and if he wasn't it was because his high went away before the game started. Pretty much a sun up to sun down smoker. What a shame.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They still had more than enough talent to avoid losing by 14 to Vermont, and unless the whole starting lineup was out with the flu there's no excuse for losing to Duquesne, they're awful. And they don't exactly have wins over Florida and Oklahoma State to counteract those losses like Kansas does, and BC has 2 more to go with it with a fairly weak schedule. That 5-0 start in ACC play isn't exactly the greatest evidence either, outside of Maryland those wins are over NC State, Wake Forest, Virginia, and Miami, which all have at least 6 losses.

Have you watched Tyrus play? Williams is no stiff, but he's not quite on the same level. That's really not the case, otherwise he'd be projected to go much higher in the draft. MAYBE he slides into the lottery, but that's still a long way from being an NBA star, and regardless of what happens he's about the #5 post player at absolute best.

It's really hard to say where BC falls because they've really only played 2 good teams all year: one the loss to Kansas and the other a win at home against a somewhat schizoprenic Maryland team. The vast majority of their tough games lie in front of them, so I don't think you can conclusively say that they're the best or even close. I would say they're definitively worse than Carolina, and probably fall somewhere in the next group with Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Clemson. I'd personally say they're 3rd out of that group, maybe 4th or even 5th, though it's hard to be definitive without seeing them play head to head. Duke, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech have definitely accomplished more so far, and Clemson is comparable.

They are a middle of the pack team without Sean Williams slash nobody to replace him. You can't keep relying on Jared Dudley for all forty minutes as he's done in the past because he's been playing hurt. I don't want to say it's the season but it doesn't look good. Perhaps they can ride these 5 games, go .500 the rest of the way in the ACC and sneak into the tournament. Still, what could have been...

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Red and White.. even more bias than me.

Talk to me about the Celtics or Bruins. Don't be stupid.

Edited by redandwhite

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
Williams won't even sniff the first round after this and to be honest he doesn't deserve it. He thought he could get by failing the tests and that BC wouldn't do anything about it. Well that wasn't the case and it's a complete shame he couldn't just stop smoking.

People speculated that he was high for some of the games and if he wasn't it was because his high went away before the game started. Pretty much a sun up to sun down smoker. What a shame.

They are a middle of the pack team without Sean Williams slash nobody to replace him. You can't keep relying on Jared Dudley for all forty minutes as he's done in the past because he's been playing hurt. I don't want to say it's the season but it doesn't look good. Perhaps they can ride these 5 games, go .500 the rest of the way in the ACC and sneak into the tournament. Still, what could have been...

Talk to me about the Celtics or Bruins. Don't be stupid.

I dont understand, and nor do i really care

You're saying I'm bias for talking about a Boston College basketball team that's undefeated in arguably the best basketball conference in the country. A Patriots team a win away from the 4th Super Bowl in the last six years. A Red Sox team whose been a contender all of my life. It's hard not to be bias about those three, lets talk about the Celtics or Bruins and our conversation will be different.

Back on topic.

Something else that's a shame is that while other schools cover this nonsense up, Boston College never has, and while I think it's a classy move on the schools part, other recruits pondering committing may find it as a negative.. or atleast the parents.

I've sat with his mother, I've talked to her on a couple of occassions, I can't imagine how heartbroken she must be. Everybody believed in Sean, everybody wanted him to succeed, and he just never could. While it's sad for Sean, it's even more said for McClain. He doesn't have the same guidance, won't be given the same help or any help at all. I just hope he isn't murdered or apart of something similar in the not so distant future.

Has anybody ever heard the Andrew Bryant story? Nutz.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
You're saying I'm bias for talking about a Boston College basketball team that's undefeated in arguably the best basketball conference in the country. A Patriots team a win away from the 4th Super Bowl in the last six years. A Red Sox team whose been a contender all of my life. It's hard not to be bias about those three, lets talk about the Celtics or Bruins and our conversation will be different.

Back on topic.

Something else that's a shame is that while other schools cover this nonsense up, Boston College never has, and while I think it's a classy move on the schools part, other recruits pondering committing may find it as a negative.. or atleast the parents.

I've sat with his mother, I've talked to her on a couple of occassions, I can't imagine how heartbroken she must be. Everybody believed in Sean, everybody wanted him to succeed, and he just never could. While it's sad for Sean, it's even more said for McClain. He doesn't have the same guidance, won't be given the same help or any help at all. I just hope he isn't murdered or apart of something similar in the not so distant future.

Has anybody ever heard the Andrew Bryant story? Nutz.

BOOHOO he broke the rules and now hes gone, make it a nice life lesson.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
You're saying I'm bias for talking about a Boston College basketball team that's undefeated in arguably the best basketball conference in the country.

I already addressed this, but just because they're 5-0 in the conference doesn't mean they are the best team, in fact far from it. 4 of their 5 ACC wins came against teams that already had 6 losses, and Maryland has 3 of their 4 losses in conference, plus that win came at home. The combined ACC record of the teams they beat is 7-14. Their early conference schedule has been extremely forgiving. Until they beat UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson, or Virginia Tech, that record means very little.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
I already addressed this, but just because they're 5-0 in the conference doesn't mean they are the best team, in fact far from it. 4 of their 5 ACC wins came against teams that already had 6 losses, and Maryland has 3 of their 4 losses in conference, plus that win came at home. The combined ACC record of the teams they beat is 6-14. Their early conference schedule has been extremely forgiving. Until they beat UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson, or Virginia Tech, that record means very little.

"But if it comes from Boston it must be the best..duh"

love,

Chris Berman and the espn staff.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 17, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
Lowery is recruiting good talent for us, but when can I look at him and start to think his coaching is lackluster. We are worthless against a zone.

Evansville? Just when Virginia Tech was helping us out and making us look good, we lay an egg to the Aces? Rex Hudler will be estatic.

The team has come out flat in every road game that we should win. Some of that definitely has to go on CLo. On the other hand, the players flat out sucked yesterday. Every single player was pitiful on both sides of the ball, minus Tatum. I've never seen the team so damn lazy on defense. TY was late closing out on his man the majority of the game and that never ever ever ever happens. Mullins was getting beat on D as well, again, something that never happens. We could not contain Webster at all, every single one of our big men was in trouble, Shaw, Boyle and Foster all fouled out while Randal was actually the one in the most foul trouble through out the game and he finished with 4 fouls. So combined, our 4 big men had 19 fouls.

This was just an absolutely pitiful loss. I'm still pissed off about this and I'm not going to get over this one, this loss one way or another will come back to haunt us.

Edited by Rowand44

Maybe Southern just isn't that good. :huh

Their best non Valley win is Va. Tech surprisingly (who'd have thought that would be a good win?). They lost to a pedestrian (yet somehow highly rated in the RPI) Arkansas team and 5-3 in the Valley has bubble written all over it.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Maybe Southern just isn't that good. :huh

Oh, this is a very good team. For whatever reason, we've played down to some competition on the road. We've also played as many road games as anyone in the nation. This was also our 4th game of the week. Our 15 rpi would tell you that we've played and beat good teams.

For whatever reason, we seem to come out flat in road games against lesser competition.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
Southern Illinois looked pretty darn good against Indiana at Assembly Hall earlier this year, and we're one of the better teams in the Big Ten.

Thats not saying much as there are basically two good teams in the big ten a pack of passable teams, and then the bottom of the barrel.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
Thats not saying much as there are basically two good teams in the big ten a pack of passable teams, and then the bottom of the barrel.

I really wish you guys were coming here this season, since you just squeaked by us on your home court.

The only reason OSU is a lock right now is because of God Oden. They really haven't done anything Indiana hasn't done this year.

Rock,

No one really knows what Indiana has.

The biggest game for them may be the game against Wisconsin because Indiana only plays both OSU and Wisconsin 1 time. It is feasible that Indiana beats Wisconsin (the game is at Indiana) and then has a very good chance at the Big 10 title.

That being said, we will know much more about the Hoosiers in 4 games. At UConn, At Illinois, vs Michigan, vs Wisconsin. If they can go 3-1, 4-0 in that stretch they are for real. As long as they go 2-2 and the losses are to Uconn and Wisconsin they still have a very good chance at a nice seed in the NCAA as they almost by default will be the 3rd best team in the Big 10.

But I really dont think losing at Indiana by 10 is something to hang your hat on for SIU.

It's funny to listen to Ohio State fans think they are all high and mighty in basketball.

It's not like you blew IU away when you got them at home. You won by seven and it was actually a lot closer than that. I believe we led fairly late in that game. In fact IU is pretty much your signature win along with Tennessee. Other than that, you've been beaten (badly by Florida I might add) by the other three top 10 teams you have played. Your non-conference schedule was cream puff.

Enjoy your one year of Oden because if you don't win a title this year, you're not going to win one for a long time.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's funny to listen to Ohio State fans think they are all high and mighty in basketball.

It's not like you blew IU away when you got them at home. You won by seven and it was actually a lot closer than that. I believe we led fairly late in that game. In fact IU is pretty much your signature win along with Tennessee. Other than that, you've been beaten (badly by Florida I might add) by the other three top 10 teams you have played. Your non-conference schedule was cream puff.

Enjoy your one year of Oden because if you don't win a title this year, you're not going to win one for a long time.

Scratch that. Ever.

Edited by redandwhite

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)

Jesus, IU fans are somewhat angry huh?

Its not my opinion I was stating, its alot of people's opinions. The big ten is pretty weak this year, I think anyone should realize that. As for saying we got beat badly by top ten teams, well if you play the 1,2,3 teams in the country on their home floor, I would say the chances of you winning those contests are not great, dont you agree? Also if Oden leaves (which I dont think he will) we still have some of the best young players in the big ten on the floor. Matta has proven that he can recruit some great players, and can even coach also-ran players deep into the tourney. Without "God-Oden" we won the big ten regular season last year, remember that? Dont forget about the other 7 foot plus beast we have coming in next year to possibly replace Oden, and the Mr Basketball of Ohio. its not like we are rival teams, im wondering why so much angst towards OSU, did they do something to you guys personally or something?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)

Its not my opinion I was stating, its alot of people's opinions. The big ten is pretty weak this year, I think anyone should realize that. Also if Oden leaves (which I dont think he will) we still have some of the best young players in the big ten on the floor. Matta has proven that he can recruit some great players, and can even coach also-ran players deep into the tourney. Without "God-Oden" we won the big ten regular season last year, remember that? Dont forget about the other 7 foot plus beast we have coming in next year to possibly replace Oden, and the Mr Basketball of Ohio. its not like we are rival teams, im wondering why so much angst towards OSU, did they do something to you guys personally or something?

How far did you go into the tourney last year, remind me? 2nd round and then you were blown out against Georgetown.

Matta might be a solid recruiter, but will you be happy with another second round flameout?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Scratch that. Ever.

Whats that based on exactly? We have right now the 6th best recruiting class coming into next year, not to mention the studs we already have on the team. We also have a great coach and a great program. What about that points to never winning a national title?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
How far did you go into the tourney last year, remind me? 2nd round and then you were blown out against Georgetown.

Matta might be a solid recruiter, but will you be happy with another second round flameout?

So apparently Matta cant coach in the tourney, is that what you are saying? Or are you just saying that last years team overachieved? Whats your point here? Just hating on OSU?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)

Its not my opinion I was stating, its alot of people's opinions. The big ten is pretty weak this year, I think anyone should realize that. As for saying we got beat badly by top ten teams, well if you play the 1,2,3 teams in the country on their home floor, I would say the chances of you winning those contests are not great, dont you agree? Also if Oden leaves (which I dont think he will) we still have some of the best young players in the big ten on the floor. Matta has proven that he can recruit some great players, and can even coach also-ran players deep into the tourney. Without "God-Oden" we won the big ten regular season last year, remember that? Dont forget about the other 7 foot plus beast we have coming in next year to possibly replace Oden, and the Mr Basketball of Ohio. its not like we are rival teams, im wondering why so much angst towards OSU, did they do something to you guys personally or something?

We're only saying something because you had to take a jab at SIU playing IU. And you wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't R&W wasn't the one to make the post, since all you do is follow him around. Do everyone a favor and put him on ignore. We get it; you don't like him.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
We're only saying something because you had to take a jab at SIU playing IU. And you wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't R&W wasn't the one to make the post, since all you do is follow him around. Do everyone a favor and put him on ignore. We get it; you don't like him.

I'll second that.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)

Whoa I didnt take a jab at anyone but the big ten. Beating the big ten isnt exactly saying much this year because its weak, that was my point.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
I'll second that.

thank god. I'll make a point to not jump in on cbball discussions again, obviously the irate Illinois fans have been replaced by irate IU fans. funny thing is, I actually really like IU, i've been a huge Bob knight fan since way back when I was young. It was my second choice of places to go to school. But im sure i was just trying to be an ass here, and not actually say something rational.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
Whoa I didnt take a jab at anyone but the big ten. Beating the big ten isnt exactly saying much this year because its weak, that was my point.

thank god. I'll make a point to not jump in on cbball discussions again, obviously the irate Illinois fans have been replaced by irate IU fans. funny thing is, I actually really like IU, i've been a huge Bob knight fan since way back when I was young. It was my second choice of places to go to school. But im sure i was just trying to be an ass here, and not actually say something rational.

I think everyone agrees that the Big Ten is down, and if that's the only point you were making that's fine. But I just find it funny that it's a given that this is how things are going to shake out in the Big Ten. It's everywhere:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=38

Wiscy and OSU are considered the only locks for the Big Ten conference right now. And I find that to be kind of humorous. With the exception of edging IU at home, I don't think there's much more that Ohio State has done that Indiana hasn't done.