Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
All of this makes me long for the days when we saw players stay for four years. Or hell, at least three. I really wish college basketball/NBA had the same rule as college baseball (I believe football is also the same) where a player can't leave before he has been in school for three years. College basketball is great as it is, but think about how much fun it would be if these guys stayed in school I'm sure somebody could provide a nice list of players that would be juniors and seniors right now had they stayed or went to college.

Man, the league would be significantly different. UConn would be a monster with Rudy Gay, Josh Boone, and Marcus Williams, and Texas would be downright scary with LaMarcus Aldridge teaming with Kevin Durant, as well as Daniel Gibson and PJ Tucker. Plus LSU would get Tyrus back and UCLA would get Jordan Farmar. That doesn't even count guys that went pro before last year that would still be in college like Lebron (senior), Chris Paul (senior), Luol Deng (senior) Dwight Howard (junior), Marvin Williams (junior) and Josh Smith (junior), and guys like Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, JR Smith and Shaun Livington that never went to college but probably would have been studs.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex,

I was basically saying that its very hard for anyone to turn down that type of money. College is a great time, but it is because of the freedom and fact that most of us will never experience a time like that again.

With the type of money Oden will make he will never have to worry again. He will be able to basically do whatever he wants within reason for the rest of his life. I cant imagine risking all of that for 1 year of college, because realistically staying 4 years is an absolutely devastating risk. So the difference between leaving after 1 year or 2 years is negligible.

I have no idea what will happen. Im just making stating what I think the decision will be for most players who will be the 1 or 2 pick. This is not the same for a top 5-10 player, but when you are on top the only place you can go is down.

If Oden had entered the draft instead of going to OSU he would hvae been a lock for 1. After playing 1 year now some say he may go after Durant. Those millions add up and its just not financially advisable.

As to everyone else and the court rushing.

Im proud that Indiana rushed the floor against Wisconsin. The only time I ever rushed a field was when Wisconsin made the final 4 in 1999 and the players came back for a pep rally at Camp Randal. It was at night and the players were some what egging on the crowd, so finally everyone just ran on the field and then towards the capital.

So for special moments, ones that are going to be memorable for atleast 10+ years, sure go ahead rush the floor.

And if that is what beating Wisconsin has become, then I am proud to be a Badger tonight.

Zona about to go down again to Wash State.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
Awesome, UCLA-Oregon is on a bunch of the FoxSports regional networks. God, I love having the sports pack sometimes. :D

For once having FSN Midwest instead of CSN down here pays off. :)

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
We'll agree to disagree then. Gottlieb saying it was the most atrocious thing he's seen in college basketball in five years is a complete joke.

You guys just had a huge win, I see no problem with rushing the court.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 01:24 AM)
It happens all the time and it's ridiculous. Once again, IU was favored in this game and for people who have watched that team play over the last few weeks, it was certainly a good possibility that they would win that game. I know you didn't rush the court cause you forgot your parachute but overall I just think rushing the floor needs to stop.

The thing that gets me is that, IMO, half the kids rushing the floor are doing it with wrong intentions, ie wanting to get on TV, wanting to get on the floor so they can tell their douchebag friends later that night that they stood within five feet of Dominic James or whoever the player may be.

Sure, there's a good portion of the kids who are doing it because they're pumped over a big 'W', but there's also a good portion just doing it as part of a.)groupthink, b.)because they're drunk, c.)because they want to get on TV and act like an idiot.

Also, someone needs to tell me how RPI works. Wisconsin and Duke -- arguably the two best opponents Marquette has played this season (well, Pitt is probably better than Duke) -- just lost on back to back nights. How much will that hurt the ole RPI?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
The thing that gets me is that, IMO, half the kids rushing the floor are doing it with wrong intentions, ie wanting to get on TV, wanting to get on the floor so they can tell their douchebag friends later that night that they stood within five feet of Dominic James or whoever the player may be.

Sure, there's a good portion of the kids who are doing it because they're pumped over a big 'W', but there's also a good portion just doing it as part of a.)groupthink, b.)because they're drunk, c.)because they want to get on TV and act like an idiot.

Also, someone needs to tell me how RPI works. Wisconsin and Duke -- arguably the two best opponents Marquette has played this season (well, Pitt is probably better than Duke) -- just lost on back to back nights. How much will that hurt the ole RPI?

There may have been a tweak or two to the formula that I am not familiar with, but the basics of RPI are as follows.

The formula consists of three parts. Your record. The record of your opponents and lastly the record of your opponents opponents. That's why the schedule you play is important. The teams on the schedule of the teams you play will have an effect on how highly you are rated.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
We'll agree to disagree then. Gottlieb saying it was the most atrocious thing he's seen in college basketball in five years is a complete joke.

That's a bit much but IU can stop saying they are a premier program if they are going to rush the court. It's like if Notre Dame was to rush the field (which I think they were going to do against USC a year ago, god that was great).

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
Same family as Jannero?

Yes, younger brother.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 1, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
There may have been a tweak or two to the formula that I am not familiar with, but the basics of RPI are as follows.

The formula consists of three parts. Your record. The record of your opponents and lastly the record of your opponents opponents. That's why the schedule you play is important. The teams on the schedule of the teams you play will have an effect on how highly you are rated.

That's correct, the basic RPI formula is 1/4*(Winning Percentage) + 1/2*(Opponents' Average Winning Percentage) + 1/4*(Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage), that's stolen from kenpom. Also, you get more credit for a road win compared to a home win. Keith, Marquette's rpi is at 19 right now.

Edited by Rowand44

We got a huge game in Wichita today. WSU is really starting to play well and the game is at home for them but we're the better team, it should be a fantastic game. Unfortunately, Falker has the stomach flu supposedly. :(

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 3, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
We got a huge game in Wichita today. WSU is really starting to play well and the game is at home for them but we're the better team, it should be a fantastic game. Unfortunately, Falker has the stomach flu supposedly. :(

That is ok. Having the flu means he will play better. I bet those WSU fans put something in his food cuz the fear the wrath of Falker!

Not too mention, a W for the Dawgs would probably mean a ranking around 23 or so!

Edited by Brian

My God, this game is freaking horrible!!

They can't go more than 30 seconds without blowing the whistle for something. Neither team can get ANY kind of rhythm which is making the game sloppy as hell. If the referees would just let them play, everything would take care of itself.

I can't remember both teams getting so consistently screwed with BS calls in one game.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 3, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
My God, this game is freaking horrible!!

They can't go more than 30 seconds without blowing the whistle for something. Neither team can get ANY kind of rhythm which is making the game sloppy as hell. If the referees would just let them play, everything would take care of itself.

I can't remember both teams getting so consistently screwed with BS calls in one game.

The only BBall game I actually got to in person while @ IU was exactly like that. OSU @ IU. Just a ridiculous number of fouls called. Got to see Bobby Knight kick over a chair.