Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
Air Force getting rocked by a talented SDSU team. Maybe the Aztecs are finally starting to wake up.

The Aztecs have been one of my favorite mid-majors all year, unfortunately they just haven't been playing to their talent. They've got quite a bit of high-major talent and would be dangerous in the tourney, I just don't know if they'll get there. That win would help though.

I just don't know how a mid-major with two big men like Abukar and Habel and wing players like Heath and Wade can be so unimpressive for long stretches.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 6, 2007 -> 10:47 PM)
The Aztecs have been one of my favorite mid-majors all year, unfortunately they just haven't been playing to their talent. They've got quite a bit of high-major talent and would be dangerous in the tourney, I just don't know if they'll get there. That win would help though.

I just don't know how a mid-major with two big men like Abukar and Habel and wing players like Heath and Wade can be so unimpressive for long stretches.

Ya, I :wub Brandon Heath. Anyways, to be fair to them, 3 of their Mountain West losses are very acceptable and games not many teams would win(@ air force, @ byu and @ unlv). So basically, they have their 3 toughest games in the MWC out of the way so we'll see if they can turn it on or not. It's definitely going to be hard for them to win their conference tourny though as they'd have to go through 2 of those teams that I mentioned before but they definitely have the talent to do so.

Neato. A two seed for Marquette and a first-round game at the UC. I think that's a tad optimistic, unfortunately, as the end of our conference schedule is tough with games at ND, Georgetown, and DePaul and some home games like Pitt and L'Ville. Oh, and 'Nova too.

To get that two seed, I'd say that Marquette can lose two games the rest of the year, conference tourney included. More likely, I expect three losses -- an 'L' in one of the above road games, maybe an 'L' in the finale against Pitt, and since it's tough to predict any one team to win a conference tourney, an 'L' at Madison Square.

Things are looking good, though. A two, three, or four seed is looking very possible.

Edited by CWSGuy406

The 2 seed in the Midwest will be interesting as their are 3 teams who may get it:

Wisconsin, OSU, Kansas.

Right now its looking like only 1 of those 3 will be a 1 seed in the midwest. My bet is on Wisconsin getting it due to the wins over Pitt and Marquette, but there is a lot of season to be played and anything can happen.

After that it gets interesting because it seems like the selection committee is going to try and avoid OSU and Wisconsin in the same bracket. Also I believe there is some rule where OSU cant be put in Columbus (like some 30 mile rule I dont know off hand).

I mean who knows how it will play out. Just if I was a betting man and had to pick the 4 1 seeds right now I would say:

UNC

Florida

UCLA

Wisconsin/OSU

(Those are in no particular order)

I really think it will be hard to shake those up too significantly for a variety of reasons.

And even if Wisconsin and OSU both deserve #1's I do not think that the selection committee will give the Big 10 2 1 seeds, if it means taking 1 away from the SEC, ACC, or Pac-10.

And Kansas has an outside chance at a 1, but I think more realistically should be hoping for a good 2 seed.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 7, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
T-Minus 1:50 (give or take..)

Iowa really needs this win tonight. They are coming off a great week and at mid-season are 4th in the conference and actually have some hopes of a tourney bid if they can finish strong. The key to that will start tonight against Minny. A loss here and they are probably toast (barring them going undefeated or something the rest of the way).