Any backpackers here?

Texsox

This may be a very short, two person thread, but just in case we have some other lovers of the outdoors and getting far away from roads and vehicles, I'd give a try.

My old and fat body needs a more comfy sleep surface. I am looking at retiring my Ridgerest and going to a self inflator or Big Agnes pad. I love the Ridgerest for it's bombproof nature. I am thinking that carrying the Ridgerest and perhaps a small 3/4 Thermarest or equal would make sense. I would be using the Ridgerest outside as a lounger/chair and for additional insulation and cush. The weight would be about the same, but I worry about the bulk and the dip from the 3/4 to the full sided pad. Being 6'1", I do stretch the full length of a pad.

I suppose I am person #2...

Hey Tex - why is this in Buster?

I have both a manual-inflating air pad (square, not trimmed for weight), and a ridgerest (full length). I've always felt that whatever sleeping surface I bring was worth a little extra weight to be comfy. I like the manual-inflating pad because it was cheaper and slightly lighter than a similar, self-inflating one. I forget what brand it is, but its flat-surfaced (not a series of ribs), with some built-in foam.

Basically, nowadays, I bring just the ridgerest when backpacking long distance (when weight really matters). If its a short trip, or a canoeing trip or something like that, I bring the inflatable. But its been my experience that the inflatable only gives slightly more comfort than the ridgerest anyway, so why bother with the extra weight? Plus the ridgerest is bomb-proof, can be used for sitting, is easy to use (all of which you mentioned), and makes a great split if needed as such.

Here is a tip - pull out your sweatshirt/fleece or whatever soft, cold weather top you have, and lay it out between you and the pad (or the pad and the ground), from lower back to mid-thigh. It helps for me, maybe for you as well.

I'm 6'3" with a pretty broad frame. So I tend to be over the sides and the end a lot. So I also ball up something and put it under my feet past the end of the pad - especially if it will be cold.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
*crickets*

this reminds me of a joke....

the punch line ends with, "you wanna go backpacking?"

A joke only a mother would love*

*see PAs Sig