Selig pondering postseason changes

WhiteSoxfan1986

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...sp&c_id=mlb

Looks like he is thinking about giving wild-card teams fewer home games (makes no sense) and expanding the LDS to best of seven. I don't agree with either. Looks like he is sick of seeing teams like the Sox, Marlins, Tigers advancing and wants to give they Yankees a better chance.

Fewer home games would be a joke.

I think an NFL type playoff scheme would be really interesting. Have 4 rounds - wild card round, divisional round, championship round, and world series. It would lengthen the baseball season and would allow for fewer messes like we've seen in this postseason, where there are 4 solid, but not spectacular, teams in the LCS. In that scenario this year, Minnesota and New York would have had first round byes, while the Tigers played the Sox and the Angels played the A's. I have no doubt in my mind the divisional series is completely different if that scenario occurred this year.

First round is 5 games, ALDS is 7, and nothing changes beyond that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 05:24 AM)
Fewer home games would be a joke.

I think an NFL type playoff scheme would be really interesting. Have 4 rounds - wild card round, divisional round, championship round, and world series. It would lengthen the baseball season and would allow for fewer messes like we've seen in this postseason, where there are 4 solid, but not spectacular, teams in the LCS. In that scenario this year, Minnesota and New York would have had first round byes, while the Tigers played the Sox and the Angels played the A's. I have no doubt in my mind the divisional series is completely different if that scenario occurred this year.

First round is 5 games, ALDS is 7, and nothing changes beyond that.

More teams? Bah...

Baseball seems to be the only sport where, if you made the playoffs, you really earned it. Football comes in second, but you can usually pick out one team per year that really isn't that good, and is just a product of playing poor teams or having teams in its division suck real hard.

BTW -- before anyone brings it up, the NL of 2006 (sans the Mets) is an exception, not the rule.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
More teams? Bah...

Baseball seems to be the only sport where, if you made the playoffs, you really earned it. Football comes in second, but you can usually pick out one team per year that really isn't that good, and is just a product of playing poor teams or having teams in its division suck real hard.

BTW -- before anyone brings it up, the NL of 2006 (sans the Mets) is an exception, not the rule.

I completely agree. I actually love the playoff system as it is, no need to add more teams. A 162 game season with more than 4 teams getting in the playoffs would get a bit ridiculous imo. I would honestly be real pissed off if more spots were added to the playoffs.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
More teams? Bah...

I do anything to try and get the Sox in the postseason. :D

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
I completely agree. I actually love the playoff system as it is, no need to add more teams. A 162 game season with more than 4 teams getting in the playoffs would get a bit ridiculous imo. I would honestly be real pissed off if more spots were added to the playoffs.

That's my favorite thing about baseball, its an accomplisment to make the playoffs, and every team that makes it has a decent chance of winning it all. You can't say that about basketball, where there are teams under .500 in the playoffs every year. If I were stern I would cut the # of teams in the playoffs in half, but that will never happen.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Dear Mr. Selig-

Please do not do anything to further lengthen the season, which already extends far too late in the year for teams not in the tropics.

Thank you.

-Baseball Fan

From the desk of the Commissioner's Office

Major League Baseball

New York, New York

We will be doing away with all off-days and adding 30 days of double-headers. Why? Because I'm the commissioner and a car salesman, that's why.

Baseball's biggest fan,

Allan Huber "Bud" Selig, Jr.

PS. Shut it.

Umm, I think some of you mis-read one thing.

One change that will not be discussed is expanding the Division Series to a best-of-seven format instead of best-of-five. He doesn't want the season lasting any longer than it does now, and there's resistance to shrinking the regular season.

No way you take away home games, that is just silly.

The only thing they could do is make 2 Wild-Card teams play a 3 game series to determine who plays in the ALDS. Instead of a play-in game, have a play-in series. This would then give the Division winners a couple of extra days rest - thus giving them a bigger advantage.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
That's a terrible idea. Next thing they will do will be to get the World Series to end in November.

The logical extension is to put the World Series in a warm weather tourist site every year similar to how they run the Super Bowl. Don't just pooh, pooh the idea. With an extra layer of playoffs the home teams would get just as many or more $ dates on their own field as they do now. Baseball could market a 10 day virtual Mardi Gras for the big rollers at the World Series. IIRC the playing clubs keep the gate from the divisional, the leagues take the LCS money and MLB takes the WS.

Last year I hit the lottery for a game on the ALDS, paid through the nose for a connection on the ALCS and was completely shut out of the WS. I would have seen just as many or more games if Bud added another layer.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
The logical extension is to put the World Series in a warm weather tourist site every year similar to how they run the Super Bowl. Don't just pooh, pooh the idea. With an extra layer of playoffs the home teams would get just as many or more $ dates on their own field as they do now. Baseball could market a 10 day virtual Mardi Gras for the big rollers at the World Series. IIRC the playing clubs keep the gate from the divisional, the leagues take the LCS money and MLB takes the WS.

Last year I hit the lottery for a game on the ALDS, paid through the nose for a connection on the ALCS and was completely shut out of the WS. I would have seen just as many or more games if Bud added another layer.

I don't think they will put the World Series in a neutral location. That would be really odd to play 7 games in one location. You can't compare it to the SuperBowl since the SB is only one game, not a 7 game series with days off in between.

If anything they will make the ALDS 7 games.