Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That dunk contest was PATHETIC, and the 2 best dunks (Tyrus jumping over Ben and finishing lefty, who is 6'2 to Nate Robinson's 5'8, and Dwight Howard's 12'6" sticker thing) didn't even make the finals. That contest is the kind that sends the thing into oblivion, simliar to 1996 when the white guy in his Clipper warm ups, Brent Barry, won. That would have ended the thing all together if not for Kobe and Vince Carter coming around.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 12:25 AM)
That dunk contest was PATHETIC, and the 2 best dunks (Tyrus jumping over Ben and finishing lefty, who is 6'2 to Nate Robinson's 5'8, and Dwight Howard's 12'6" sticker thing) didn't even make the finals. That contest is the kind that sends the thing into oblivion, simliar to 1996 when the white guy in his Clipper warm ups, Brent Barry, won. That would have ended the thing all together if not for Kobe and Vince Carter coming around.

Tyrus' dunk was not one of the best.. he didn't even jump clear over Gordon it was more to the side.. He was easily the worst dunker in this years contest..

Dwight Howard got jobbed, the sticker dunk was awesome.. I also loved all of Gerald Greens dunks.. Nate Robinson is still a pretty good dunker for his height, but Gerald Green was just filthy tonight..

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 12:25 AM)

It wasn't that bad at all.

My favorite was the "dee brown" dunk. I luved how he put thought and effort into it. The right guy won.

Would've been nice to see if dwight howard had anything else up his sleeve...

tyrus performed exactly as I expected. Actually, I'm surprised he didn't just go up for a regular dunk and turn around and ask for his check...

Jordan was a harsh judge.

The knick bavetta - barkley kiss was disgusting. :mellow:

Seeing PIP in a Bulls uniform was my favorite part. :wub:

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 01:55 AM)
I'm not sure Howard got robbed. I mean, let's be honest, the overall dunk sucked. Yeah, the sticker thing was cute. But the dude is, what, 6'11, with alligator arms? I don't think that dunk should've gotten a 10. The conest sucked overall, though.

It's more for the creativity of the dunk, I think they even mentioned on the broadcast that some of the guys should show some flare to at least sell the dunk.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 01:55 AM)
I'm not sure Howard got robbed. I mean, let's be honest, the overall dunk sucked. Yeah, the sticker thing was cute. But the dude is, what, 6'11, with alligator arms? I don't think that dunk should've gotten a 10. The conest sucked overall, though.

Yeah, hes a 6'11 guy who jumped up.. slapped 12'6 on the backboard WITH a sticker while catching the ball in the other hand and dunking it, first try.

Was it the greatest dunk ever? No, but it was creative and he also planted it. He should got a higher score for that dunk. Not a 10, but higher than what he did get, it was pretty impressive.

Aside from Tyrus' and Nate Robinsons continuous misses in the finals I thought it was a solid dunk contest. Gerald Green is awesome, I am still pissed that Orlando selected Fran Vazquez instead of him :crying

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 02:12 AM)
Yeah, hes a 6'11 guy who jumped up.. slapped 12'6 on the backboard WITH a sticker while catching the ball in the other hand and dunking it, first try.

Was it the greatest dunk ever? No, but it was creative and he also planted it. He should got a higher score for that dunk. Not a 10, but higher than what he did get, it was pretty impressive.

Aside from Tyrus' and Nate Robinsons continuous misses in the finals I thought it was a solid dunk contest. Gerald Green is awesome, I am still pissed that Orlando selected Fran Vazquez instead of him :crying

Charles and Kenny certainly acted like it was. Hey, it was impressive. No doubt about it. But some are acting as if he should've gotten a perfect 50. That's all I'm saying.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 02:17 AM)
Charles and Kenny certainly acted like it was. Hey, it was impressive. No doubt about it. But some are acting as if he should've gotten a perfect 50. That's all I'm saying.

Im not sure they thought it should have been a perfect 50, I think it was mainly because of how low they voted it. I know I heard them talking about just how impressive it was that he slapped the sticker up that high while doing the dunk.

But I agree with you, it wasnt a perfect score but for a 6'11 guy I thought that his two dunks were good enough to beat out Robinson to get into the finals, and I really would have liked to see what else Howard could have done.

A little piece on Howards Dunk

Twelve and a half feet is very high.

I walked down on the court after the dunk contest and looked up at the custom sticker Dwight Howard had stuck way up there. It was a little dizzying. Not to be gushy, but it was way up there. I suspect that if I stood on Dwight Howard's shoulders, I still wouldn't be able to even reach it. And I'd be scared to be up there.

I peered up at that sticker. Unfathomable, but apparently real -- as the whole thing was on international TV and exceedingly well documented. All the same, I urge you to look up at the top of the backboard from down below some time. Imagine a sticker a few inches shy of the top, and wonder: Could a human put that up there? Without divine intervention?

Yes.

Or no.

A photographer with a telephoto lens helped me get a good look at that sticker, and in addition to a pre-printed image of Howard's face, his initials, and his number, there was handwritten marker. Not too big. In fact, even with the lens it was very tough to read.

In this life, you always have to read the fine print. And the fine print on that sticker made clear that Howard, at least, doesn't believe he did it alone.

"All things through Christ" Howard had written in marker. Then "Phil 4:13." That's Philippians 4:13.

Asked about it, Howard recited in a heartbeat: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Strengtheneth indeed.

Remember, Dwight Howard's Plan A for this contest was to dunk on a 12-foot rim, but the league nixed the idea earlier in the week. So Howard needed an inventive way to demonstrate his singular advantage: combining his height, his reach, and his hops to get a hand up higher than anybody else.

It was so inventive that at first plenty of people here in the arena couldn't even understand it. This was an idea from Mars, or Lovetron, or wherever it is the good dunks come from. It stretched the mind. For a few seconds, nobody knew exactly what happened. He put a sticker up there? He had a sticker? In his hand? What?

ESPN.com contributor David Thorpe of Scouts Inc. text-messaged me seconds after it happened: "I hate dunk contests," he wrote. "But that was the coolest dunk I've ever seen."

Who can disagree?

No one I have talked to, except, apparently, the judges. Howard got a measly 42, the second-lowest score of any dunk in the first round. Julius Erving and Michael Jordan both gave it an 8. I don't know what criteria they were judging by, but whatever it was, I say inventiveness was undervalued.

Hats off to 2007 Slam-Dunk champ Gerald Green, a worthy champion, but a year from now that sticker dunk is the one we're all going to remember.

Henry Abbott writes TrueHoop.com.

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)

Remember that draft thread TRU?

I was begging for us to take Green, begging I tell you. :D

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)

I think for one he was going to kiss the ring and then dunk it IIRC.

He also wanted a 12 foot basketball ring, but David Stern nixed that idea, which is absolutely absurd.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
First of all, a 7 footer in the dunk contest is stupid.

I don't get that argument.

What's the difference b/w Nate Robinson doing a dunk and Dwight Howard doing a dunk?

Howard got screwed because of his height, and it's unfair that a little guy like Robinson gets so many high scores when the dunks aren't even that good. You're pretty much giving him extra points for just making the dunk in my mind.

Also there should be a rule, for every dunk you miss, 10% gets taken off your score or something. Reward those who actually make the dunk for the 1st time.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 05:20 AM)
I don't get that argument.

What's the difference b/w Nate Robinson doing a dunk and Dwight Howard doing a dunk?

Is it harder for a 7 footer to dunk or someone 5'9" ? Is it more rare to find a guy under 6 feet who can dunk, or someone who is 7 feet tall? Based on their heights and wing spans, I would say the difference would be 3 feet or so. Its much more impressive to see someone with a 40 inch vertical than someone who can touch the rim standing flat footed.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 19, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
Is it harder for a 7 footer to dunk or someone 5'9" ? Is it more rare to find a guy under 6 feet who can dunk, or someone who is 7 feet tall? Based on their heights and wing spans, I would say the difference would be 3 feet or so. Its much more impressive to see someone with a 40 inch vertical than someone who can touch the rim standing flat footed.

Lets keep in mind here Howard wanted to dunk on a 12' goal which he WOULD have been able to do if they gave him the chance..

It should be about the dunks, not how tall you are

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
Lets keep in mind here Howard wanted to dunk on a 12' goal which he WOULD have been able to do if they gave him the chance..

It should be about the dunks, not how tall you are

Too bad its a 10 foot basket in the NBA. And its more impressive, and visually pleasing to see a shorter guy get some air under hit feet to dunk the ball, than a guy reaching up and putting it down.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 21, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
Too bad its a 10 foot basket in the NBA. And its more impressive, and visually pleasing to see a shorter guy get some air under hit feet to dunk the ball, than a guy reaching up and putting it down.

Not if it takes 50 tries and we've seen everything he can do last year. A little guy can only do so much.