Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely INSIPID.

Worst half of our season so far. Out rebounded by double figures by a smaller team. 4/12 from the line. Letting Ben Wallace and P.J Brown score in double figures combined in a half. Missed layups and turnovers around the basket.

I hope they are getting ripped at right now. Brian Hill is on thin ice.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
Absolutely INSIPID.

Worst half of our season so far. Out rebounded by double figures by a smaller team. 4/12 from the line. Letting Ben Wallace and P.J Brown score in double figures combined in a half. Missed layups and turnovers around the basket.

I hope they are getting ripped at right now. Brian Hill is on thin ice.

I call it POWNED.

Also, West Ham had an amazing game last weekend. It was one of the best EPL games I've seen all season, too bad they went down at the end and pretty much clinched the fact they won't be in the EPL next year (or I guess thats my understanding, you go down a league and than can come back up in a year???).

And Arsenal is really struggling without its strikers. We have a lot of talented young guys but those younguns aren't able to capitalize and take advantage of scoring opportunities. Thanks to that we pissed away a game this past weekend and than lost our champions league game yesterday.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
I call it POWNED.

Also, West Ham had an amazing game last weekend. It was one of the best EPL games I've seen all season, too bad they went down at the end and pretty much clinched the fact they won't be in the EPL next year (or I guess thats my understanding, you go down a league and than can come back up in a year???).

And Arsenal is really struggling without its strikers. We have a lot of talented young guys but those younguns aren't able to capitalize and take advantage of scoring opportunities. Thanks to that we pissed away a game this past weekend and than lost our champions league game yesterday.

Yes we certainly were. Funny how badly the Bulls played in the 3rd and we couldn't take advantage.

And I'm thinking I'm the kiss of death when it comes to supporting sport teams. The Magic and West Ham have had real bad runs lately, the Cowboys lost in the playoffs because of a freak play, the Blackhawks suck, so I'm hoping that's not a precursor to the type of year the White Sox are going to have.

Put simply on the Hammers, we're an attacking team and our defense is abysmal.

On Arsenal it always seem they do a great job passing the ball around in the final 1/3rd but they never put the ball into the back of the net.

They've never been the same team since Patrick Vieira left.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
I'm sorry Andrew, but Carlos Arroyo is one of the stupidest point guards in the NBA. He is the T.O. on offense.

He's fallen back into old habits.

For a brief period since he was acquired late last season and the 1st month of this season he was actually playing well.

Since then, hasn't been good at all, like a lot of our players since the hot start.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
Of all the offensively challenged players, Ben Wallace and Tyrus Thomas are going nuts.

Tyrus isn't offensively challenged, he's PT challenged by Skiles. He could answer some inside scoring issues if he plays that much. Your right about Big Ben, though....21 shots?!?!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
Tyrus isn't offensively challenged, he's PT challenged by Skiles. He could answer some inside scoring issues if he plays that much. Your right about Big Ben, though....21 shots?!?!

He has to be able to not commit stupid fouls and turnovers before he can stay on the floor for reasonable amounts of time. Those are the exact things that have been holding him back all year long. He needs to stay under control.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 07:53 AM)
He has to be able to not commit stupid fouls and turnovers before he can stay on the floor for reasonable amounts of time. Those are the exact things that have been holding him back all year long. He needs to stay under control.

At times it's been foul trouble, but like even nights like last night where he stays out of foul trouble, he usually ends up on the bench for a Mike Sweetney. Last night, he stayed out of foul trouble, they let him play a lot of minutes, and what do you know? If Tyrus gets his shot AND does his part (stays out of foul trouble), this team is actually dangerous.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)
At times it's been foul trouble, but like even nights like last night where he stays out of foul trouble, he usually ends up on the bench for a Mike Sweetney. Last night, he stayed out of foul trouble, they let him play a lot of minutes, and what do you know? If Tyrus gets his shot AND does his part (stays out of foul trouble), this team is actually dangerous.

Tyrus can be as dangerous as Tyrus lets himself be. Last night was a good example of letting the game come to him for the most part. He has freakish athletic ability, and the basketball IQ of a grape. If the kid ever relaxes and lets the game happen, he could potentially be the best player on this team. I think at this point of the season conditioning has a part in how long you can let him play, but for the most part this is the time to extend his minutes if you can. With both Noc and Allen sidelined, this is Tyrus's chance to shine.

I agree, tyrus is freakish but not very basketball-savvy. The minutes should only come as he raises his basketball IQ and makes less silly mistakes. Here's hoping he can develop into a smart player to match his skills (and instincts) and really become a star.

But I admit that I still have mixed feelings because I am having trouble envisioning what he is supposed to develop into. Can he develop into a legitimate star starting power forward even though he is so thin and undersized? Can he develop an offensive game? PF is what his game translates to because he just doesn't have the tools (ball-handling ability, jump shot/outside shot, etc.) to be a SF, of which we have a couple of legitimate ones on the team already anyways. The freakish athleticism, shot-blocking instincts, and energy is there, though.

And anybody else sneak a peek at portland's box score to see that aldridge went for 24 pts., 17 boards, 4 blocks, and feel just a little bit less excited about tyrus's game last night? -_-

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 08:45 AM)
Tyrus can be as dangerous as Tyrus lets himself be. Last night was a good example of letting the game come to him for the most part. He has freakish athletic ability, and the basketball IQ of a grape. If the kid ever relaxes and lets the game happen, he could potentially be the best player on this team. I think at this point of the season conditioning has a part in how long you can let him play, but for the most part this is the time to extend his minutes if you can. With both Noc and Allen sidelined, this is Tyrus's chance to shine.

I agree with you 100 percent here. My only point is Tyrus should be on the floor as long as he can stay out of foul trouble, end of story. Even the current, somewhat dumb version of Tyrus is without question the best big on the team IMO, hence him needing to be out there.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
And anybody else sneak a peek at portland's box score to see that aldridge went for 24 pts., 17 boards, 4 blocks, and feel just a little bit less excited about tyrus's game last night? -_-

Nope, and I was somebody that wanted Aldridge. Having seen them both this year though, Tyrus has a WAY WAY bigger upside than LaMarcus, so I can't regret that pick.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
But I admit that I still have mixed feelings because I am having trouble envisioning what he is supposed to develop into. Can he develop into a legitimate star starting power forward even though he is so thin and undersized? Can he develop an offensive game? PF is what his game translates to because he just doesn't have the tools (ball-handling ability, jump shot/outside shot, etc.) to be a SF, of which we have a couple of legitimate ones on the team already anyways. The freakish athleticism, shot-blocking instincts, and energy is there, though.

That was my main problem with TT when the Bulls drafted him. I didn't/don't think he could stick as a 3/SF because his jump shot is pretty ugly outside of ~10 feet. I didn't/don't think he could fit as a 4/PF because he might be a little too weak and I didn't see much of a 'post-game' at LSU.

If he ends up sticking -- he's off to a pretty good start -- I'd guess it's as a four. I don't think his jump shot will improve a whole lot, but he can work on his post-moves -- I've seen him use that 'baby hook' once in a while, and if he catches the ball on the block and faces up, he's quick enough to pivot and face-up and just go right around his defender.

So, the Bulls eek out a win tonight by 1 against the surging sixers. Gordon had an awful game, the Bulls were terrible at the FT line, but they still pulled it out. Had a lineup of Duhon, Griff, TT, Deng, and I think Gordon on the floor to start the 4th down 10, and that lineup brought them back to within 2 in a couple minutes. Stat line may not show it, but TT and Griff were real big keys tonight, along with the shooting of Deng.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 06:59 AM)

Dude, Sweets never plays so if you want to argue skiles is ruining Tyrus than at least make a valid argument and don't give me this crap he plays Sweetney more than Tyrus.

Skiles has done a good job with Tyrus. We've seen him grow a ton as a player in just his rookie season. We all knew he'd be raw but the improvements he's made have been tremendous as of late and call me crazy but I'm going to credit Tyrus for his hard work and Skiles and the rest of the coaching staff as well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
Dude, Sweets never plays so if you want to argue skiles is ruining Tyrus than at least make a valid argument and don't give me this crap he plays Sweetney more than Tyrus.

Skiles has done a good job with Tyrus. We've seen him grow a ton as a player in just his rookie season. We all knew he'd be raw but the improvements he's made have been tremendous as of late and call me crazy but I'm going to credit Tyrus for his hard work and Skiles and the rest of the coaching staff as well.

Given that Mr. Skiles has 2 different priorities with Tyrus, #1 being to win as many games as possible this season, and #2 being to continue the development of his players so that he can win as many games as possible in future seasons...I think Skiles appears to have been doing a dynamite job. It might have been nice to see Tyrus and Sef get some more minutes earlier in the season...but if our goal is to win games...then the margin for error if a rookie comes in and starts turning the ball over is pretty darn small.