Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
Tyrus is a year younger than Aldridge, but when you count how each of them have performed per minute of game time, Thomas gets almost 2x the amount of blocks per minute, 1.2 times the number of rebounds per minute, and .9x the amount of points per minute. In other words, they're almost the same on scoring, but on the defensive parts, Thomas has so far been significantly more productive in the time he's been given.

Personally, I hate the "per minute" argument in the NBA. It's a way of masking the deficiencies and inconsistencies that keep a player off the floor. If you're good enough and deserve the minutes, you'll more than likely play. When watching the Bulls and tyrus play, skiles clearly does let him play but will rightfully take him out once the mistakes, dumb fouls, and turnovers start adding up. I think aldridge has been more productive overall and his recent numbers show it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
Yeah, I agree, although I'm not so sure abot just how good tyrus will be. I'm having trouble envisioning him as a legit starting star PF, or anything more than an energy guy off the bench at this point, but hopefully he really can make the huge strides he'd have to make. Not saying aldridge will be a star, but he looks like the much more sure bet to be a solid player so far and would probably have helped the team out more in the present, in my opinion.

And here's one of the worst pieces of crap I've read on espn, and that's saying a lot. Somebody sent me the link trying to get me mad. :P

Another reason why women should not talk sports.

I like how she claims kobe is just as good a defender as Jordan. And I literally laughed out loud when she said vince carter, mcgrady, and lebron are better defenders than joe dumars because they're bigger. Apparently today's NBA is tougher.

I realize that kobe had those consecutive 50-point games and had 82 in a game last year, but does she even know Jordan had a 37 PPG season?? Whether it be mid-80s Jordan (when he was in kobe mode and did it better) or 90s Jordan, there's zero doubt who the better and more talented player is. I take Jordan over kobe, whether it be one-on-one or any scenario, always.

She should never be allowed to write another article on the NBA again. I also liked the part where she writes that Jordan didn't have to contend with two multi time MVPs in his own conference. Think that may have had something to do with the fact that he was winning it all the time? Or how about how he had to face a 2 time MVP in the finals in the form of Karl Malone? Or that he faced a 3 time MVP for his 1st title? Or the first few years in the league he had to contend with the Celtics with 3 time MVP Larry Bird and Moses Malone another 3 time MVP was in the Eastern Conference as well?

And as a scorer, lets ignore the fact that Jordan's career FG% is much higher than Kobe's single season best FG%. Jordan also has a higher TSP% for his career despite the fact the Wizards years brought both stats down quite a bit. In fact only 5 of Jordan's 15 seasons he had a lower FG% than Kobe's best year. His two years with the Wizards, his comeback 17 game season, his injury shortened 2nd season, and his last season with the Bulls in which his shooting percentage was still just .003 behind Kobe's best year. All this despite the fact Kobe played with Shaq so he did not see the same type of defensive attention. It is fun to ignore facts though.

"Phoenix, Dallas and San Antonio are all better than the Utah, Portland and the Charles Barkley-led Phoenix team that Michael met in the NBA Finals"

Based on what exactly? The fact that Phoenix and Dallas haven't won a title and Dallas lost to a team that couldn't touch any of those Bulls teams in the finals last year? Utah had two hall of famers and that Charles Barkley Phoenix team was loaded. Phoenix won 62 games that year despite Kevin Johnson only playing 49 games. And I don't get this argument anyways. Every team Jordan met in the finals was infinity times better than the teams Shaq and Kobe met in the finals.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
She should never be allowed to write another article on the NBA again. I also liked the part where she writes that Jordan didn't have to contend with two multi time MVPs in his own conference. Think that may have had something to do with the fact that he was winning it all the time? Or how about how he had to face a 2 time MVP in the finals in the form of Karl Malone? Or that he faced a 3 time MVP for his 1st title? Or the first few years in the league he had to contend with the Celtics with 3 time MVP Larry Bird and Moses Malone another 3 time MVP was in the Eastern Conference as well?

And as a scorer, lets ignore the fact that Jordan's career FG% is much higher than Kobe's single season best FG%. Jordan also has a higher TSP% for his career despite the fact the Wizards years brought both stats down quite a bit. In fact only 5 of Jordan's 15 seasons he had a lower FG% than Kobe's best year. His two years with the Wizards, his comeback 17 game season, his injury shortened 2nd season, and his last season with the Bulls in which his shooting percentage was still just .003 behind Kobe's best year. All this despite the fact Kobe played with Shaq so he did not see the same type of defensive attention. It is fun to ignore facts though.

"Phoenix, Dallas and San Antonio are all better than the Utah, Portland and the Charles Barkley-led Phoenix team that Michael met in the NBA Finals"

Based on what exactly? The fact that Phoenix and Dallas haven't won a title and Dallas lost to a team that couldn't touch any of those Bulls teams in the finals last year? Utah had two hall of famers and that Charles Barkley Phoenix team was loaded. Phoenix won 62 games that year despite Kevin Johnson only playing 49 games. And I don't get this argument anyways. Every team Jordan met in the finals was infinity times better than the teams Shaq and Kobe met in the finals.

I stopped reading the article after the first few sentences. It's obvious she is going purely off her own opinion and not any actual fact.

Bill Simmons from ESPN pretty much nails it on the head in response to that fat b****es article.

Kobe's scoring took off only after they changed the hand-checking rules and made it impossible for anyone to play defense. That's why Kobe scored 50-plus points in four straight games, that's why Steve Nash has a chance to win three straight MVPs, and that's why guys routinely score 50-60 points these days. If the 1987-93 MJ played in the current era, he would have obliterated every non-Wilt scoring record there was. That had to be mentioned

MJ played in the most competitive era in the history of the league (1987-93) and emerged with three titles from 1991-93. Jemele argued that Kobe's current competition is tougher than the teams from 1991-93, which is just plain wrong. There's no comparison. The league sucks right now. Back in the early '90s, you had Magic's Lakers, Drexler's Blazers, Riley's Knicks, Isiah's Pistons, Price's Cavs, Hakeem's Rockets, Robinson's Spurs, Malone's Jazz, the TMC trio in Golden State, some underrated Celtics teams (they averaged 52 wins a year during Reggie Lewis' prime), some great Suns teams (including a 62-win team in 1992-93 with Barkley) and a Sonics team that was just taking off with GP and Kemp. It was a top-heavy league back then, unlike now, when 80 percent of the teams are mediocre and there are only four good teams (Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio and Detroit).
Edited by Jordan4life_2007

That was a MUST MUST MUST win last night considering all the circumstances, so it's good the Bulls got it, even if it was a poorly played game. Tyrus looked outstanding though, and the defense was really good outside of the 2nd quarter. Time to beat Cleveland tomorrow and, amazingly, move into 2nd place in the entire Eastern Conference.

wallace_shoe.jpg

:)

fullj.getty-71797205rb008_detroit_pisto_

19 boards in his new $15 starbury basketball shoes he debuted. Impressive.

Next year he'll have his own model.

Anybody else catch lebron dissing the starburys? I hate marbury, his game, attitude, and the knicks, but I applaud his very affordable shoe and sports clothes venture. I liked the "I'd rather own than be owned," response from marbury suggesting that nike owns lebron.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 30, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
I hate marbury, his game, attitude, and the knicks, but I applaud his very affordable shoe and sports clothes venture. I liked the "I'd rather own than be owned," response from marbury suggesting that nike owns lebron.

Yea Marbury is one of those rare athletes that are better off the court, than in the court. On the court, yea he's an asshole in everyway from his game, cockiness, coaches, teammates, etc.., but as far as helping kids, signing autographs helping out the community, helping out families anyway he can, he's one of the best. Real nice guy from what my cousin has told me from shaking his hand.

3rd time this year Skiles has lost a game due to being stubborn and making Ben take the last shot. When we are a #5 seed losing to Miami in the first round instead of a #2 with a clear path to the EC Finals, blame the "great" coach. At least Tyrus was amazing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
3rd time this year Skiles has lost a game due to being stubborn and making Ben take the last shot. When we are a #5 seed losing to Miami in the first round instead of a #2 with a clear path to the EC Finals, blame the "great" coach. At least Tyrus was amazing.

You cant debate his coaching skills, the guy has really made this group of players into a good team, even the announcers were talking about how well organized they are than other teams and how their conditioning is top notch. With that said, he needs to find someone else to take that final shot, this is not his year for that. I would have had Kirk with the ball, and maybe drive and dish to TT. Something other than the Gordon dribble and turnover show. He's a pull up shooter, run him off some curls and let Kirk handle the ball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
You cant debate his coaching skills, the guy has really made this group of players into a good team, even the announcers were talking about how well organized they are than other teams and how their conditioning is top notch. With that said, he needs to find someone else to take that final shot, this is not his year for that. I would have had Kirk with the ball, and maybe drive and dish to TT. Something other than the Gordon dribble and turnover show. He's a pull up shooter, run him off some curls and let Kirk handle the ball.

The development of players is undeniable, but he's still lost 3 games due to dumbass late game calls that anybody could see would fail. I'm not saying fire him, but if we finish a game or two out of the #2 seed and get the #5 instead, simple things like that are the reason.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
The development of players is undeniable, but he's still lost 3 games due to dumbass late game calls that anybody could see would fail. I'm not saying fire him, but if we finish a game or two out of the #2 seed and get the #5 instead, simple things like that are the reason.

Ah, I wouldnt even put him close to a firing. He is getting his team to the playoffs, developing young talent, and improcving every year. But I agree with you on the late game situations. He has shown the ability to come out of timeouts and have a great scoring play drawn up. But late in the game its because one on one. I wonder why he takes that approach. On most nights I prefer the offense to go through the wing and Luol, but on nights when he is off, why not let someone drive and disk and let Ben spot up if needed?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
If we dont advance out of the first round he has to be on the hot seat for next year.

We'll take him then. :D

Seriously though, the Magic are going nowhere with either Nelson as the starting PG or Brian Hill as the coach, something has to give there.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)
If we dont advance out of the first round he has to be on the hot seat for next year.

I dunno, depends on how you define hot seat and what it would take for him to be removed at the end of 08. I mean, it's entirely possible that Skiles could have the Bulls win 50 this year, draw the Heat with D-Wade and Shaq in round 1 and lose in 7 games, and just generally be screwed out by the seeding.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 01:00 AM)
I dunno, depends on how you define hot seat and what it would take for him to be removed at the end of 08. I mean, it's entirely possible that Skiles could have the Bulls win 50 this year, draw the Heat with D-Wade and Shaq in round 1 and lose in 7 games, and just generally be screwed out by the seeding.

I dont care how many regular season wins we get, if we dont advance past the 1st round next season has to be do or die for Skiles.