Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
They can.

Brown/Gasol

The other 3 can be filled in with D league guys or throw-ins from Memphis.

Please elaborate more so that you have something to read during your suspension.

:drink

Nope, we go after Antonio Davis again and get him to join the squad for one final playoff run (for AD, not the Bulls).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, the Bulls have so much depth that they can afford to dump 3-4 players in a single deal and still be all right. They'd be sacrificing depth in exchange for impact, which is a deal they should make. Khryapa, Sweetney, etc., don't do much to help this team when they sit on the bench or are inactive for weeks in a row

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 03:58 AM)
Yes.

That is way too much with what Gasol is making.

Substitute Duhon for Deng , Kryhapa and add the Knicks pick, imo.

Duhon, Thomas, Brown, Kryhapa and the Knicks pick.

Memphis is basically getting 1 impact player and a borderline top 10 pick, and 3 roster fillers for a top 5 impact big in the NBA today.

Remember what the Heat had to give up for Shaq. A deal revolving around Caron Butler and Lamar Odom. To the Bulls equivalent, that's basically Deng and Thomas.

I think the Bulls need for a good inside scorer is so big (because right now they're basically a jump shooting team), they just have to bite the bullet and get Gasol.

An update;

Gasol & The Bulls?: It is fairly clear that Pau Gasol’s days in Memphis are numbered. The question becomes does Chicago land him, and at what cost? Word surfaced last week indicating that Memphis President Jerry West had more than a passing conversation with Bulls GM John Paxson about the “value” of Pau Gasol. Early indications were Jerry would be agreeable to a deal for Pau that involved Luol Deng and Ben Gordon – The Bulls reportedly countered with a Tyrus Thomas/Luol Deng offer that would include PJ Brown for cap purposes. Both sides are said to be pondering the details. An informed source said the Bulls would trigger the deal despite Luol’s increased value and production this season because they know full well the team as it's constructed is not a power in the East. Given the long-term dollars they will have to pay Luol, the economics beyond this season are almost equal. The Grizzlies seem to be holding the line hoping another team swings in with a better offer, or that Chicago decides to come off the 1st round pick owed them by the Knicks. The odds Gasol survives the trade deadline are slim, and it's clearly up to the Bulls whether they give up the future (Thomas/Deng and high draft) for the present.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
Ben Gordon doesn't do it for me either, I personally would trade him in a heartbeat if he does infact have some sort of trade value.

He's the bulls leading scorer and pretty high up in the list for the NBA. How could that not do it for you?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
Memphis is basically getting 1 impact player and a borderline top 10 pick, and 3 roster fillers for a top 5 impact big in the NBA today.

Remember what the Heat had to give up for Shaq. A deal revolving around Caron Butler and Lamar Odom. To the Bulls equivalent, that's basically Deng and Thomas.

I think the Bulls need for a good inside scorer is so big (because right now they're basically a jump shooting team), they just have to bite the bullet and get Gasol.

An update;

Deng and Thomas? That's too much.

If the Bulls give up Deng AND Thomas for the fragile Spainyard, I give up on thinking Pax has done a great job. That would be so bad, UGH. Any and all trades should revolve around Hinrich, Nocioni, and PJ Brown, end of story, IMO. You CAN NOT trade Gordon (he's shown he can play the 1), Thomas, or Deng. No no no.

And that was a TERRIBLE trade by Miami (I said that from day 1 though). I know they won a ring, but:

1. It had almost nothing to do with broken down Shaq. That was all D Wade, a Dallas gag, and the refs.

2. Shaq's contract is going to kill them for years.

3. Can you imagine that team with Haslem, Butler, Odom, Wade, and Mourning? Yeah, that coulda won something anyways.

And due to those factors, that team has very little besides Wade, Haslem, Dorrell Wright as a future guy, and a broken down old Shaq along with Mourning.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
At this point, the Bulls have so much depth that they can afford to dump 3-4 players in a single deal and still be all right.

That depth is a myth IMO. Duhon sucks, Sweetney is bigger than a whale and couldn't jump over 2 nickels, Khryapa is AWFUL, Malik Allen can't do anthing except hit 15 foot jump shots (which even I can do), Andre Barrett blows, Adrian Griffin blows, and Skiles won't play the 2 rooks for some reason.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
That depth is a myth IMO. Duhon sucks, Sweetney is bigger than a whale and couldn't jump over 2 nickels, Khryapa is AWFUL, Malik Allen can't do anthing except hit 15 foot jump shots (which even I can do), Andre Barrett blows, Adrian Griffin blows, and Skiles won't play the 2 rooks for some reason.

Just think, Paxson gave away JR Smith so he could sign Griffin too.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
If the Bulls give up Deng AND Thomas for the fragile Spainyard, I give up on thinking Pax has done a great job. That would be so bad, UGH. Any and all trades should revolve around Hinrich, Nocioni, and PJ Brown, end of story, IMO. You CAN NOT trade Gordon (he's shown he can play the 1), Thomas, or Deng. No no no.

And that was a TERRIBLE trade by Miami (I said that from day 1 though). I know they won a ring, but:

1. It had almost nothing to do with broken down Shaq. That was all D Wade, a Dallas gag, and the refs.

2. Shaq's contract is going to kill them for years.

3. Can you imagine that team with Haslem, Butler, Odom, Wade, and Mourning? Yeah, that coulda won something anyways.

And due to those factors, that team has very little besides Wade, Haslem, Dorrell Wright as a future guy, and a broken down old Shaq along with Mourning.

I wouldn't really call Gasol that injury prone. He had that 1 injury which cost him 26 games back in 04-05 and the broken foot at the World's but besides those 2, he's been pretty healthy.

Miami made that trade, because they thought Shaq was the guy who would help put them over the edge. And they were basically the only team willing to trade for Shaq, who could match up with the Lakers cap-wise.

In any deal with the Bulls, Gasol is easily going to be the best player. The thing is with Deng, yes he has turned into a very nice player, but is he going to help you win a championship? You have a guy in Nocioni who can easily jump into the SF spot, and give you just about the same amount of production.

Tyrus Thomas is a guy who's just raw, very raw. It's going to be 2, 3 years minimum before he start to be a real impact player at this level. And P.J Brown is basically just an expriring contract who can sometimes give you a double-double, easily replaceable.

If you compare Shaq at his age with Gasol right now, you'd have to think teams would be willing to give up more for Gasol in a deal, even though he's not the bigger name player obviously (but he's better).

Every team in this league could use Gasol. Hell I'm hoping Otis Smith is on the phone offering a deal revolving around Darko Milicic (I just don't know if he's ever going to get it) and either Grant Hill (big expiring contract) or Hedo Turkoglu.

The Bulls major need is an inside scorer. They're probably not going to be able to get one in the draft. They're not going to be able to sign one in FA. So I'd make that trade, and sign a SF in the draft with the Knicks pick at about 7-10 to replace Deng.

Bulls win a hard fought game 100-97 over Miami at the UC (I was there). Almost blew a 14 point lead after 1, Heat actually took a 2 point lead with like 3 mins left, but Ben and Kirk were on it all night and made the plays to win it at the end. Man it's fun beating the Heat, but Big Ben screwed up his knee pretty bad late in the game. I haven't heard anything yet since I just got back, but I'd assume it's at least a sprain and they will have to do an MRI to make sure there is no damage.

That would be REALLY bad if there is because Ben did play really well tonight, plus if he's hurt, it makes the Bulls seem even more desperate for a big in a trade.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
Bulls win a hard fought game 100-97 over Miami at the UC (I was there). Almost blew a 14 point lead after 1, Heat actually took a 2 point lead with like 3 mins left, but Ben and Kirk were on it all night and made the plays to win it at the end. Man it's fun beating the Heat, but Big Ben screwed up his knee pretty bad late in the game. I haven't heard anything yet since I just got back, but I'd assume it's at least a sprain and they will have to do an MRI to make sure there is no damage.

That would be REALLY bad if there is because Ben did play really well tonight, plus if he's hurt, it makes the Bulls seem even more desperate for a big in a trade.

During the Bulls game they said sprained knee. They didn't give any prognosis though.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 07:27 AM)
I actually almost like this team moreso without him than I do with him.

When Big Ben shows up and plays 100%, he can still take over a game. I honestly think he's been taking it easy for a big part of this season so far though. The last 2 games, Dallas and Miami, were big games, and he showed up big in both of them.

I'm hoping that's the Ben we see come playoff time.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 07:27 AM)
I actually almost like this team moreso without him than I do with him.

In the playoffs we will absolutely need Ben Wallace. He was playing fantastic last night pre injury just like he played fantastic against the Mavs. The man makes us a different team when we go up against the best (and coincidentally thats when he plays with his full level of intensity/hustle/heart).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 26, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
Trading the 21 year old Deng would be a huge mistake.

It would be one of the worst moves we could make. It would be better to wait for next season to trade or draft a big man. Deng is a future superstar and is on the cusp of being a great player IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
When Big Ben shows up and plays 100%, he can still take over a game. I honestly think he's been taking it easy for a big part of this season so far though. The last 2 games, Dallas and Miami, were big games, and he showed up big in both of them.

He's not getting paid 15 million to take it easy. Overall, he's been a bust this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)

Agreed 100 percent, which is why i've beeen sooooo pissed at him. Good to hear there isn't structure or ligament damage though, but we'll see some Tyrus here while Ben is out, which isn't bad IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
It would be one of the worst moves we could make. It would be better to wait for next season to trade or draft a big man. Deng is a future superstar and is on the cusp of being a great player IMO.

The thing is, I don't know if that's a luxury the Bulls have.

Having a look at the draft, at the moment the Bulls would have the 11th pick. Oden, Durant and Noah are all definitely going top 5, while the likes of Hasheem Thabeet and Yi Jianlian are slated to go top 10.

The only big on the board really round there could be Aaron Gray and I don't think the Bulls should go down that route.

And if the Bulls go on the trade market, are they going to be able to trade for a big as good as Gasol in the off-season? Gasol is a bonafide top 5 C in the NBA, and players like that don't come along very often, because you build around them.

The Bulls could trade Deng in a deal for Gasol, and then draft a Marcus Williams, Thaddeus Young or Al Thornton to replace Deng.