Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 04:28 AM)
An awful lot of that though is the coming-of-age of Chris Bosh. 23.2 ppg, 10.7 rpg, both up significantly over last season in a couple fewer minutes per game, fouls per game down by 1/3, etc.

That improvement also comes from the new offensive friendly style of play they use though.

And guys like Calderon and Bargnani are starting to step it up.

EDIT: And hey, DARKO'S BREAKING OUT.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 08:10 AM)

That's damn right. You shouldn't have just given him to me in the soxtalk fantasy league. :D

And oh by the way, I'm sure that everyone is shocked at what Tyson Chandler has been doing, correct?

I'd throw up one of those triple :lol: , but I wouldn't bite sleepy's style like that.

I might not win the fantasy league, but this is the best rebounding that I'll ever have:

Dwight Howard

Emeka Okafor

Tyson Chandler

Andrew Bynum

Darko Milicic

Al Jefferson

It's a beautiful thing, is it not?

Another winnable Bulls loss...so frustrating...I'm not very interested in this team unless they do get gasol or another significant trade...some combination of gordon, tyrus, pj, and/or the pick is fine with me...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 02:10 AM)

Now let's see him do it for an extended period of time...

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 08:12 AM)
And oh by the way, I'm sure that everyone is shocked at what Tyson Chandler has been doing, correct?

He was mediocre prior to the last couple of weeks...now let's see him do it for an extended period of time...

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 08:12 AM)
I'd throw up one of those triple :lol: , but I wouldn't bite sleepy's style like that.

I like that. :)

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
He was mediocre prior to the last couple of weeks...now let's see him do it for an extended period of time...

Mediocre prior to the last couple of weeks? Come on...

He's been leading the NBA in offensive rebounding pretty much the entire year, and he's never dipped below 11 rebounds per game. And if we're talking about help defense out of the C slot, he's been awesome.

Check the current stats:

Overall Rebounding Per Game

1) Kevin Garnett 12.6

2) Tyson Chandler 12.2

3) Dwight Howard 11.9

Offensive Rebounds Per Game

1. Tyson Chandler 4.1

2. Ben Wallace 3.9

3. Emeka Okafor 3.9

I said before the season that Tyson would lead the NBA in offensive rebounding, but I never could have predicted that he'd be in position to lead the NBA in overall rebounding with monsters like KG, Dwight Howard, Emeka Okafor, and Tim Duncan in the fold.

The 2 most obvious signs of bad coaching in basketball are inconsistency and mediocrity in late game/in the lead spots. Scott Skiles team matches both those descriptions, yeah.

Oh, and the Bulls COULD afford to make the Gordon/Brown/1st round for Gasol trade if we still had J.R. Smith. But we don't, because we had to dump him for a "high character" guy like Adrian Griffin. Thanks, Pax.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Tyson Chandler would be a lock to win the rebounding contest if they had one ;)

Nice one.

Back in January, Phil Jackson asked Andrew Bynum to study Chandler footage so that he could learn the nuances of rebounding.

Phil might have flaked out a tad in recent years, but the dude still knows his basketball. He makes Skiles look like a grade school coach. But then again, who doesn't?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:19 PM)
Nice one.

Back in January, Phil Jackson asked Andrew Bynum to study Chandler footage so that he could learn the nuances of rebounding.

Phil might have flaked out a tad in recent years, but the dude still knows his basketball. He makes Skiles look like a grade school coach. But then again, who doesn't?

He is playing extremely well, and I am happy for him, he's a very nice guy and was very classy towards the Bulls organization after the trade. My thoughts on his hands, lack of anything resembling an offensive game, and contract haven't changed though (although he's FINALLY getting a few more points this year, as he's learned to go back up with the ball on offensive rebounds).

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
Potential rebounding champions that play outstanding help defense out of the C slot are max contract players. Tyson is a relative bargain.

I'll never understand why people mention his contract.

If Tyson plays out his contract as well as he has this year, then he's only somewhat overpaid. But there is no way, none, at all, that a player who doesn't score 20 a game should be a max contract player. I KNOW how important defense and rebounding are, but you don't even have to guard Tyson in the half court, and that's a big problem, even with his improved scoring this year due to taking advantage of offensive rebounds.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
But there is no way, none, at all, that a player who doesn't score 20 a game should be a max contract player.

Bill Russell would NOT have been a max contract player if he played today.

Dan Majerle >>>> Bill Russell

I gotcha. :D

From a philosophical standpoint, I might as well be a martian on these here boards.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
Basketball is a team game. Basketball is a team game. Basketball is a team game.

It will soak in eventually. :D

Yes it is, and he is a good role player. Not a star, but a good role player. He can be valuable to a team that already has offensive talent and scorers, because Tyson is neither.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
Bill Russell would NOT have been a max contract player if he played today.

Dan Majerle >>>> Bill Russell

I gotcha. :D

From a philosophical standpoint, I might as well be a martian on these here boards.

Bill Russell's D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tyson chandler's D

The Ben Wallace contract is an excellent meter to imagine what Bill Russell would be getting nowadays. He'd probably be very well off.

No matter how much you play up his "help defense," he's still a subpar one-on-one defender.

And give me his length, wingspan, and height and I'm blocking 2+ shots a game in the NBA with my eyes closed...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 07:22 PM)
I sure hope that the comparison wasnt being made between Chandler and Bill Russell. Please tell me that wasnt the case, because that would be ridiculous.

You and Sleepy both completely missed the point. Check the post that I was responding to.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
Yes it is, and he is a good role player. Not a star, but a good role player. He can be valuable to a team that already has offensive talent and scorers, because Tyson is neither.

If this was baseball, you'd be telling me that pitching and defense rules all.

I don't know how basketball would be any different from a philosophical standpoint.

I don't know why I torture myself. I'll step away from the computer now. :D

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
You and Sleepy both completely missed the point. Check the post that I was responding to.

I don't know how basketball would be any different from a philosophical standpoint.

You cant compare baseball and basketball man, come on. Pitching and defense being the same as rebounding?

And I didnt miss any point, i was clarifying what you were trying to say by bringing up Bill Russell. Of course he would be a max contract player, hes one of the best ever. He revolutionized the game for god sakes.

Please explain to me how Tyson Chandler is more than a role player. Because thats all im saying here. He isnt a great player, but he is a top of the line rebounder and adds some defensive presence. Past that, he lacks in talent to be a good handler of the ball and lacks the ideal hands to be a post scorer. But that doesnt mean he cant be a great piece to a championship puzzle, but that piece is a role in a team, nothing more.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)

Nope, I didn't.

You said Bill Russell couldn't get a max contract today and I offered ben wallace's current contract as a starting point of what type of contract he could get. He'd probably be making very good, superstar-type money.

And tyson doesn't even belong in the same sentence with Bill Russell...

Just wait 'til Oden finishes up his rookie contract to get an idea of what type of contract Bill Russell would be getting.