Juan Pierre to White Sox?

Brian

My dad is friends with the brother of the agent for Juan Pierre, also the agent for Jim Thome. He just got off the phone with him and he said it is looking pretty good that Juan Pierre will be signing with us after November 1st.

Obviously things can change and should be taken as speculation and rumor as of now.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
i wouldnt be suprised. It seems like there isnt a lot Pierre fans, but i like him.

I've actually grown to love this idea. If Ozzie's going to try and play Ozzieball, we might as well have someone who can steal bases, create situations with his speed, bunt, and make contact.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Pierre isn't worth more than 2 million a year, and I want him nowhere near this team. If KW and Ozzie don't see eye to eye on baseball, KW needs to axe him, not compromise his interests by signing garbage like Pierre.

Really? "garbage"

Nice.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
he'll be brought in to replace iPods and probably play left (unless the move Anderson to left)/

If they acquire Pierre and still start Anderson, there is zero reason to flip Anderson to left. Brian is an outstanding centerfielder.

Too bad Pierre doesn't play shortstop. That would solve so many problems...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
If they acquire Pierre and still start Anderson, there is zero reason to flip Anderson to left. Brian is an outstanding centerfielder.

Oh I totally agree. I would keep Anderson in center. Just saying that it is a possibily. Anderson ahs the better arm. If Anderson falters, Pierre moves to center and Sweeny could play left. Or, try to get Sweeney used to center. Many possibilites.

Brian Anderson was one of the worst offensive players in all of baseball in one of the most forgiving hitters parks. I value defense just as much as the next, but Pierre would be an upgrade over Anderson as a whole in my opinion, especially considering Ozzie Guillen would rather place Thome or Konerko in center than Anderson it seems.

Has Pierre ever played LF?

I wouldn't mind it. I'll take a few more bunt hits and sacrifices over a few more walks. Ozzie isn't Billy Beane, he's not an OBP fanatic. Ozzie likes to put pressure on the opposing defense and trying tolure them into making mistakes.

Plus, he has a great relationship with Ozzie. It's not an ideal signing, but it works for the direction the team wants to go in, so why the heck not? Maybe he'll give us a Jermaine Dye Discount®?

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
I've actually grown to love this idea. If Ozzie's going to try and play Ozzieball, we might as well have someone who can steal bases, create situations with his speed, bunt, and make contact.

Watch it last for one year. :P

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Brian Anderson was one of the worst offensive players in all of baseball in one of the most forgiving hitters parks. I value defense just as much as the next, but Pierre would be an upgrade over Anderson as a whole in my opinion, especially considering Ozzie Guillen would rather place Thome or Konerko in center than Anderson it seems.

Worst offensive players in baseball huh? Well he was a rookie, and after half of a season of scuffling he put up .257 .301 post all star. If that is one of the worst in baseball then I significantly underestimated the futility in the MLB. Also he is one of the top defensive CF'ers, which is a huge upgrade over anyone that we can put in that position. Pierre would be an upgrade offensively, but a HUGE downgrade defensively.

Signing Juan Pierre would be the rough equivalent of the huge blunder made by signing Royce Clayton to play SS in 2001.

Pierre was 51st out of 58 rankable outfielders last year in terms of runs created per game (RC27), which is a very good measure of offensive production. Yes, he beat out Scott Podsednik, who finished dead last -- 58th place -- but that's not saying much, is it?

PLEASE, DON'T ADVOCATE SIGNING JUAN PIERRE!

And you're supposed to judge players based on their rookie season. Throw out April and May and BA hits .280-.290.

And players have never improved in their second season in the majors.

I still hate the idea of Pierre. The years where he had great seasons occurred in very spacious ballparks. US Cellular's a bandbox. I think there's reason enough, atleast for me, to believe that he could put up a .260/.300/.300/.600 line

I just wish that somehow our team could actually focus on finding a leadoff hitter who actually fits with the makeup of the rest of the team.

We have a murderous 3-4-5 with a ton of power. We hit a sh*t load of home runs. Stealing bases in front of those type of guys does not have nearly as high of an impact on run production as simply being on base. It's not a bad thing if you're not thrown out a lot, but it's not going to be the end-all-be-all. If you could find me a LF/SS with an OBP somewhere above .350 or .360, I'd be very happy...and spend the rest of my money on pitching.