Juan Pierre to White Sox?

Brian

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Hunter didn't start hitting well until his 3rd year in the league.

Also, he played 99 games and had just 354 ABs in 2000.

If it's possible, it may not be the worst idea in the world to have Anderson be a 4th OFer while trying to get him 300 ABs. If an upgrade in LF and an upgrade in CF can come in, he could realistically play 5 games every 2 weeks and probably approach 300+ ABs...and in case of injury, he's the first one in.

The problem of course occurs in Ozzie getting him out there that often, but it's an idea worth comtemplating.

Yes, that is a realistic option, but it's not necessarily a good one, for the simple reason that Anderson is still very low on the "Problem" list.

Last year, yeah his numbers pretty much put him in the "should be a backup" role, and if he puts up identical next year he may be on the way to that. But even with that, here's the other side:

1. He still costs us $400,000 for the next several years.

2. His defense is still superstantial.

3. We have another outfielder who need replaced first, who plays worse defense, makes a lot more money, and who contributed almost as little offensively as a rookie.

Here's where I think we are: we have only enough money to fix certian problems, like the fact that Buehrle, Crede, Iguchi, and Dye are free agents after 2007, the holes in our bullpen, left field, leadoff hitter, and not-in-jail shortstop. And we don't exactly have a ton of young talent on the way up to fill all those roles.

Right now, Anderson is a solid, cheap option at his position. In order to bring in 2 outfielders, we either need to spend the money on 2 outfielders, or we need to trade away talent to bring in 2 outfielders, and then stick Anderson behind them. If KW could rake someone over the coals for a center fielder, then maybe I'd be open to it, but I just think that we need to fix the other big holes on our team before we go about dealing with the cheap, good defensive rookie in CF.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
The guy's an absolute joke in the field and he was a joke on the basepaths last year to boot.

I understand that. But to say a guy like Ross Gload can get plugged in and immediately be a better fielder is a bigger joke, IMO.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
The more I think about this issue the more I hope we don't make this trade or FA signing. I think we have the home grown talent to play CF and maybe we will keep Pods and if his legs are healthy he will give us the speed.

That's the one thing I don't want to see next year: blind hope that Scott Podsednik will get better.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Im sorry but I do not want to see JD anywhere but RF. Leave him over there and make "PLAYER X" play LF

Agreed, but as long as we're talking about it, if the Sox somehow landed Ichiro I think you move JD to LF. Ichiro is as good as right fielders come. The only change I'd ask Ichiro to make is to CF.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
Dye's a better right fielder than he is a left fielder. Ichiro is pretty much the same whether it be in left, center, or right. I'm no math wiz but I think Rock's got that formula down.

Ichiro is one of the best RF in the game. Why waste that to some degree in LF? Ichiro's arm is ridiculous. Dye's is is not in the same league. Dye's arm would be one of the better ones in the league from LF. Ichiro's is the best in RF. It would be a sin to waste Ichiro's arm in LF.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think R&W is saying that if you can upgrade in CF you do it, you don't just sit around expecting Anderson to become great. I know one thing, I think he can be great defensively in CF, but that doesn't mean he'll be a good player. Considering our other option was Mack, BA should have been playing everyday. However, if we have the ability to upgrade to someone who can do both I see no harm in doing it because I don't think BA has shown enough of anything to ever think he'll be a solid major leaguer (thats still a big question-mark).

That said I know he has power potential and stolen base potential so if he can correct his holes he can be a Torri Hunter type player.

The White Sox have one of the highest payrolls in the game. While I agree that replacing Podsednik is priority number one, finding at the very least a platoon mate as insurance for Brian Anderson in center is a close number two.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
How is Dye a better RFer than he is a LFer? And how is Ichiro pretty much the same despite never playing a MLB inning in LF?

I was wondering the same thing. I guess people just assume you can move Ichiro around anywhere, that being said, we don't know that all.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
The White Sox have one of the highest payrolls in the game. While I agree that replacing Podsednik is priority number one, finding at the very least a platoon mate as insurance for Brian Anderson in center is a close number two.

We have a crap load of money already tied up. Brian is fine, getting a new left fielder is definitely priority number 1 when talking about the offense. After that there isn't a need at all depending on the Uribe situation.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
If a guy can adjust from a corner outfield position to center, odds are he can adjust back to the opposite corner just as smoothly. Although it really isn't worth debating, because nobody knows for certain.
Your understanding of the defensive spectrum is warped.

Yeah I'm definitely not understanding why you would move Ichiro to LF.

While on the topic, sorta...how is the Mariner's OF, depth wise? I know they're high on Jones, and Reed's there...but what are their feelings on Snelling? He was the M's #4 prospect coming into the year, but he had a horrible year at Tacoma, so I'm mainly curious as to if they are still very high on him or not. And if not, how high would their interest level be in Anderson?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Yeah I'm definitely not understanding why you would move Ichiro to LF.

While on the topic, sorta...how is the Mariner's OF, depth wise? I know they're high on Jones, and Reed's there...but what are their feelings on Snelling? He was the M's #4 prospect coming into the year, but he had a horrible year at Tacoma, so I'm mainly curious as to if they are still very high on him or not. And if not, how high would their interest level be in Anderson?

Snelling did quite well IIRC when he was up with the Mariners over the past couple of months of the season. Still he's a guy they wouldn't be relying on because he's just so injury prone. He'd be a very good 4th OF for them though. You really can't afford to have an OF with Reed and Snelling playing everyday in it considering how bad offensively the M's are.

So I wouldn't really think they'd have a great interest in Anderson, considering how much of an upgrade they need from somewhere in their lineup.