Juan Pierre to White Sox?

Brian

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your understanding of the defensive spectrum is warped.

I forgot, you have your own blog. Thanks for the explanation. :rolls eyes

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn and that's putting it mildly. ;)

Thanks for offering nothing to this thread.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I'm definitely not understanding why you would move Ichiro to LF.

While on the topic, sorta...how is the Mariner's OF, depth wise? I know they're high on Jones, and Reed's there...but what are their feelings on Snelling? He was the M's #4 prospect coming into the year, but he had a horrible year at Tacoma, so I'm mainly curious as to if they are still very high on him or not. And if not, how high would their interest level be in Anderson?

Well, somebody proposed that the White Sox should go after Ichiro. Rather farfetched if you ask me, but if you were to acquire him either he or Dye is playing left field. I'd rather trot out Dye in right and Ichiro in left, given the circumstances.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
If a guy can adjust from a corner outfield position to center, odds are he can adjust back to the opposite corner just as smoothly. Although it really isn't worth debating, because nobody knows for certain.

This is true, but there is no debate between Ichiro and Dye. Ichiro is the better fielder. He's faster, he has a better arm, het gets good reads and good jumps. With RF being the more difficult of the corner outfields to play, why would you want to keep Dye there? And why does anyone think Dye would be worse off in LF? There's less pressure there. Runners can't go first to third. The ball is ahead of the runner until 3rd base. And with the arm he has, he'd be a pretty legitimate threat to throw out any runner.

I don't know. I just think it'd be pretty stupid to move the best fielding RF to LF just because we've got a guy that's never played LF.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 02:13 AM)
Good post. I agree. I think the whole Ichiro discussion should end anyways, there isn't a single chance he'll be traded. He alone brings in millions upon millions of dollars, he's reasonably priced, and the guy is one of the best hitters in the game.

Fuhgetaboutit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
How so?

Im assuming because of Ichiro's ability to play other fields such as CF, whilst Dye is only a RF'er and doesnt quite have the fielding talent, that it would be easier for Ichiro to move to LF whilst keeping Dye in RF. I could be wrong but it seemed like common sense to me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
Im assuming because of Ichiro's ability to play other fields such as CF, whilst Dye is only a RF'er and doesnt quite have the fielding talent, that it would be easier for Ichiro to move to LF whilst keeping Dye in RF. I could be wrong but it seemed like common sense to me.

My common sense works the other way. Keep the better fielder in the more difficult, important position.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
My common sense works the other way. Keep the better fielder in the more difficult, important position.

Well, mine works as you can move the more flexible and talented player to a new position while not taking a chance with the less talented less flexible guy in a new position.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
Well, mine works as you can move the more flexible and talented player to a new position while not taking a chance with the less talented less flexible guy in a new position.

It's not like you are asking Dye to move to C. That I would never do. Yes, everything is opposite, but I think Dye would be able to handle it.

That being said, talking about Mariners, what about Raul Ibanez? He wouldn't be the lead off answer, but the boy can hit.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
That being said, talking about Mariners, what about Raul Ibanez? He wouldn't be the lead off answer, but the boy can hit.

I can't for the life of me figure out why in the world they'd deal Ibanez. Might as well ask for King Felix while you're at it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
I can't for the life of me figure out why in the world they'd deal Ibanez. Might as well ask for King Felix while you're at it.

To get younger? To shed some payroll? Because he eats his sushi with a fork?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
To get younger? To shed some payroll? Because he eats his sushi with a fork?

Ibanez made $5 million in 2006 and should, if I'm reading this right, make $6 million in 2007. For that money, he gave them a .289 average, 33 home runs, 123 RBI. If he'd done that playing for a team that was actually winning, his name would have been in the MVP race.

Someone better offer them something really, really good if they want to get a bargain like that off of the M's. What would someone have to offer to get Dye away from the White Sox?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)

I fail to see any huge adjustments in moving from rf to lf, unless from watching Pods, Dye has become convinced that a lf must be slow-reacting and throw poorly. This sounds like the logic that kept Kaz Matsui at ss when you've got Jose Reyes. No thanks.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
I fail to see any huge adjustments in moving from rf to lf, unless from watching Pods, Dye has become convinced that a lf must be slow-reacting and throw poorly. This sounds like the logic that kept Kaz Matsui at ss when you've got Jose Reyes. No thanks.

hahah hilarious. It could be true, the best way to prove it is to see it. Come on KW!!

Ichiro's obp the last 2 seasons have been .350 and .370. They have been higher than Pierre's obviously, but not that much higher. I don't see where it makes too much sense to pay Ichiro what you would have to pay him and give up the talent it would take to acquire him, when you could get a guy like Pierre for about half the salary and not give up talent. I understand Ichiro is head and shoulder better with the glove, but he doesn't walk much either.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
Ichiro's obp the last 2 seasons have been .350 and .370. They have been higher than Pierre's obviously, but not that much higher. I don't see where it makes too much sense to pay Ichiro what you would have to pay him and give up the talent it would take to acquire him, when you could get a guy like Pierre for about half the salary and not give up talent. I understand Ichiro is head and shoulder better with the glove, but he doesn't walk much either.

with that train of thought, why not just hold off on that move and keep Pods? maybe he can regain the magic he had through the first half of 2005.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with that train of thought, why not just hold off on that move and keep Pods? maybe he can regain the magic he had through the first half of 2005.

That's an excellent point.

Pierre might be half the salary of Ichiro next year (doubt it as he is looking for $8 million per,) but he wants a multiyear deal.

A 3 year, $24 million commitment to Pierre? No.

A 1 year, $11+ million commitment to Suzuki? No, just because of the ent we have to give up.

Ichiro can drive in runs and hit the ball out of the infield unlike Pierre. Ichiro is also a better baserunner.