300 trailer

sox4lifeinPA

It's only based on Frank Miller's novel. That means this film adaptation could be anything. Just from the preview it looks like a CGI and special effects fest. The strength of Sin City was that it took so much from Millers book, whether it be the storyline or actual graphics Miller drew. Rodriguez worked hard to pay respects to Miller and the book. It showed. The movie felt like a comic book. (The wonderful casting didn't hurt either. Mickey Rourke was fantastic.)

Zack Snyder is the director, he hasn't done much, but I thought Dawn of the Dead (2004 version) was decent enough. I don't think 300 will be half as much as Sin City though. It looks like it could be the old, tiresome glorified mid-evil routine.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
aesthetically it looked like it has some good ideas. It looks fragile though, i think it could be overdone/ the acting doesn't look great. Ilove sparta stories though so i'll go

How do you get the acting doesnt look great from a trailer? Or is it because there are no real big names in the movie?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
How do you get the acting doesnt look great from a trailer? Or is it because there are no real big names in the movie?

The way lines were delivered in the trailor just looked like it was gonna be bad acting to me.

• 1 month later...

I think the line between video games and film continues to blur. That can be OK, but in the midst of that, I am seeing a ridiculous number of bad horror and action movies, as well as a continued trend away from good writing. Those are bad.

Also, I saw this preview in the theatre on Friday, and something in it distrubed me a bit. Unless I interpereted what I saw incorrectly (it was information overload of course), it looked like the "Persians" were depicted as non-human - they looked like alien beasties with all sorts of extra parts. Anyone else notice that? And did anyone else think about the significance of that?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
I think the line between video games and film continues to blur. That can be OK, but in the midst of that, I am seeing a ridiculous number of bad horror and action movies, as well as a continued trend away from good writing. Those are bad.

Also, I saw this preview in the theatre on Friday, and something in it distrubed me a bit. Unless I interpereted what I saw incorrectly (it was information overload of course), it looked like the "Persians" were depicted as non-human - they looked like alien beasties with all sorts of extra parts. Anyone else notice that? And did anyone else think about the significance of that?

the significance is that it's based on a comic book. The "bad guys" are supposed to be non-human like.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)

this is one of the reasons i wanted to see the fountain. Aranofski tried to do everything he could without CGI

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 09:30 AM)
This movie looks very good. Whoever put together the trailer with the NIN song gets an A+ from me.

I fell asleep half-way through Sin City. Hopefully I won't fall asleep watching this one.

How could anyone fall asleep during that movie?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Because it was like white noise? A steady hiss of silly action sequences and eye candy with no involving subject matter?

It was an interesting movie to say the least, and I'm generally not a fan of one time viewing movies = permanent opinion on the film (though I save that opinion for crap movies like Intolerable Cruelty and Million Dollar Baby).

I think there are way too many factors going into watching a movie. tiredness, hungriness, people around you, mad at your job, mad at your wife, mad at your kids, mad at your dog, etc. I have frequently disliked movies because of one or more of those factors and then liked the movie after a second, more focused and enjoyable viewing experience.

The environment is almost as important as film itself.

side note: I hate people like my roommate who LOVE movies like "Annapolis" or "Stealth" but don't understand films like "Downfall" or "Rock School"

amatuers.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
ACtion sequences and eye candy? What's the problem? :D

No problem at all. But if I see a piece of eye candy, say a picture of Scarlett Johansson naked, I'll be enthralled for a few seconds. Not 2 hours.

But then, I guess if she was in action for 2 hours...

oh nevermind. you win. :lolhitting

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
No problem at all. But if I see a piece of eye candy, say a picture of Scarlett Johansson naked, I'll be enthralled for a few seconds. Not 2 hours.

But then, I guess if she was in action for 2 hours...

oh nevermind. you win. :lolhitting

That's a first.