US Soldiers Facing Dealth Penalty

LowerCaseRepublican

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/18/soldiers.court/index.html

Holding down a 14 year old girl, raping her multiple times, shooting her and her parents and then burning the house down and toasting their bodies to a crisp.

How are we different than the terrorists again?

We've seen plenty of posts here on ST that the people who burned the mercenaries' bodies were savages and even the allegation that all Muslims were savages because of the actions of these few. So, anybody want to put that shoe on the other foot now in regards to US soldiers torching a teenage girl that they killed and raped? I mean, if the logic holds true for those that allege the Muslims were savages, then it must hold true here too. And if the logic holds then that means -- following that logic to its extention -- then that the US Army must be full of savages.

I'm not saying anything here other than taking previously alleged logic to its extention and applying it to a new situation.

So yeah, this is why I'm all about supporting troops and people on an individual basis.

The biggest, and most important difference here is that the solders are IN JAIL, and will be TRIED FOR THEIR CRIMES. While are you hell-bent on equating terrorists with anything resembling normal society? Our solders do this despicable act, the rest of us are horrified and embarrassed. Muslims do this same crap, they either cheer or just turn the other cheek and ignore that it even happened.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
The biggest, and most important difference here is that the solders are IN JAIL, and will be TRIED FOR THEIR CRIMES. While are you hell-bent on equating terrorists with anything resembling normal society? Our solders do this despicable act, the rest of us are horrified and embarrassed. Muslims do this same crap, they either cheer or just turn the other cheek and ignore that it even happened.

The good ones don't.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Oct 19, 2006 -> 03:12 AM)
The good ones don't.

But (and yes this is generalizing, but help prove me wrong, seriously) most Muslims apparantly aren't "good" in your context here then, because I certainly don't see them condeming their own who do these sorts of things.

Well said, and it's what we have to hang our hats on.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
But (and yes this is generalizing, but help prove me wrong, seriously) most Muslims apparantly aren't "good" in your context here then, because I certainly don't see them condeming their own who do these sorts of things.

As has been pointed out multiple times, they do that plenty here (by here, I assume you mean the US). Heck, the appointed and elected leaders in Iraq even do it.

But don't expect the great majority of Iraqis to condemn extremists... as far as they know, they were invaded. Why would they cheer for the invaders?

By the way, to be clear, I don't believe the majority or even any more than a slim minority of soldiers are even capable of this. Nor do I believe that the majority of Muslims are. I do, however, think that a population of conquered people, in a country torn to bit with civil strife, are a lot less likely to condemn violent acts against the perceived aggresor. The fact that they are Muslim is, I feel, irrelevant.

His M.O. hasn't changed much over time has it?