The Official Josh Fields Thread

redandwhite

rotoworld:

Josh Fields doubled and singled yesterday and is 3-for-8 after two games with La Guaira of the VWL.

Fields is getting his introduction to left field this winter. The White Sox still might use him at third base if they opt to trade Joe Crede, but because of his shortcomings on defense, left field is more likely to be his long-term position.

With Fields getting accustomed to left field in winter ball, is there a chance that he might fill the role in left in 2007? The White Sox won't go into 2007 with Fields and Anderson in there line-up, I happen to think Fields progression this offseason has some bearing on next season's roster.

Its great to see him actually getting some experience in LF. I think over the long haul he projects as a potential long term option out there. However, I still think Fields has some flaws in his swing that need to be corrected, but he is a darn good all around athlete (especially for a guy with his power).

He's also surprisingly quick for a man of his size (he's kind of stubby).

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Pierre in CF, Fields and in LF. Sweeney gets another year in AAA and is insurance in case Fields cannot handle it. Trade Anderson with Garcia for something? Maybe a young mets pitching prospect or bullpen help.

Defensively, that just sounds baaaaaaaaaaad.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Pierre in CF, Fields and in LF. Sweeney gets another year in AAA and is insurance in case Fields cannot handle it. Trade Anderson with Garcia for something? Maybe a young mets pitching prospect or bullpen help.

I think if you have Pierre/Fields/Dye in the OF than Sweeney would come in and get a lot of AB's off the bench (of course than you also have BA to factor in and its worthless to have 3 prospects all up at the major league level while only one gets substantial AB's, meaning at least one of these guys should be dealt over the off-season).

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
I hope Fields is traded. Unless he's going to hit 40 homers, or drive in 120 runs, the Sox don't need to add a guy who will whiff 140 times a season to their line-up.

Fields is also a high OBP guy though, unlike Crede and a lot other guys on this team. He also has deceptive speed, which is a bonus. He's gonna strikeout, but makes up for it in a lot of other ways.

Wow. I was surprised to see Fields had as many walks in 25 PA as Neifi Perez (when he was with the Cubs) did in 241 PA.

If Crede's back is that bad or he is asking for too much money, I'm more than willing to send him packing for Fields to play in addition to getting a nice package.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
I hope Fields is traded. Unless he's going to hit 40 homers, or drive in 120 runs, the Sox don't need to add a guy who will whiff 140 times a season to their line-up.

I see no reason not to trade him. There is absolultely no way that I buy into the belief that Josh Fields makes Joe Crede expendable. Josh Fields is not a good 3rd base prospect. He's a good offensive prospect (not great) and the idea of him butchering the ball at 3rd while whiffing 120-150 times is not fun. I'll take Mr. Crede, his clutch bat/glove and all that jazz (even if it means he has Boras as his rep).

We still are in control of him for a little longer anyway so the team has options.

I do think all signs point to Crede being dealt either this winter or next. The difference of opinion on his back, I think is a huge issue. The White Sox still are going to have to be and always will be fiscally responsible. Crede is going to get a 5 year at least $50 million contract if he performs like he did in 2006. I really doubt the White Sox are willing to gamble that many years and that many dollars that his back will hold up. If Crede is dealt though, I agree with the above comments, Josh Fields is not an adequate replacement. I've posted before that I think Fields is a right handed Eric Hinske at best. A guy who will be around a while and probably have a couple of decent years, but there's something about him I've never liked. I was impressed with his ability to take pitches in September though. His walk and strikeout rate stayed about the same between 2005 and 2006, and he actually drove in more runners at Birmingham. I just don't see where you go from possible if not probable bust to great prospect after hitting .300 at Charlotte when you're 23 years old. Its also really too bad the White Sox didn't have him play LF at Charlotte this year at least when it was apparent that he wasn't going to get much time at 3B with the major league club. He should have been playing LF at least for the entire second half of the past season.

Also, Fields hit 2 doubles and a homer in 20 ABs. That's not bad, but lets not get too excited. BA had 2 homers and a double in the same game in 2005 and it didn't exactly propel him to a silver slugger award in 2006.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
I do think all signs point to Crede being dealt either this winter or next. The difference of opinion on his back, I think is a huge issue. The White Sox still are going to have to be and always will be fiscally responsible. Crede is going to get a 5 year at least $50 million contract if he performs like he did in 2006. I really doubt the White Sox are willing to gamble that many years and that many dollars that his back will hold up. If Crede is dealt though, I agree with the above comments, Josh Fields is not an adequate replacement. I've posted before that I think Fields is a right handed Eric Hinske at best. A guy who will be around a while and probably have a couple of decent years, but there's something about him I've never liked. I was impressed with his ability to take pitches in September though. His walk and strikeout rate stayed about the same between 2005 and 2006, and he actually drove in more runners at Birmingham. I just don't see where you go from possible if not probable bust to great prospect after hitting .300 at Charlotte when you're 23 years old. Its also really too bad the White Sox didn't have him play LF at Charlotte this year at least when it was apparent that he wasn't going to get much time at 3B with the major league club. He should have been playing LF at least for the entire second half of the past season.

Also, Fields hit 2 doubles and a homer in 20 ABs. That's not bad, but lets not get too excited. BA had 2 homers and a double in the same game in 2005 and it didn't exactly propel him to a silver slugger award in 2006.

I don't know who was labelling him a bust considering 05 was his first full season and he was in AA which is an extreme pitchers park. He suffered through the death of a very good friend of his (or at least I think it was a death, but it was a pretty narly car crash one of his best friends was involved in) and eventually came out of an emotional funk to have statistically a very strong 2nd half of the season (which was pretty well documented on the site and FutureSox).

Yes, it was a sample but it was also Field's first extended time in AA so mixed with the off field issue's and just the need to make adjustments to a higher level, a 2 month hiccup before playing pretty good for the remainder of his first full rookie campaign would not make him a bust. Last year his numbers were very good as well (but in an extreme hitters park).

My flaw with him is that defensively he's a butcher at 3rd base and offensively I think he has some holes in the swing (albeit not near as serious as BA's holes, which I recall documenting and saying a whole lot in 05 where I said the BA I saw in 05 would have zero chance of ever suceeding in the major league level unless he made some serious adjustments to his swing/plate approach).

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
From everything I read he is no longer a "butcher" at the hot corner, but certainly isnt near the fielder Crede is either. But I havent actually watched him besides in the majors so im sure someone that lives by charlotte or one of you minorleague nuts know more.

He'd still be subpar at the major league level. I'm not saying he has the ability to be at least average, but his first season he'd be at least a touch below league average.

i have a feeling that Sweeney AND Fields are going to be tough to send down to AAA next year. Sweeney is a good looking player and he looked pretty confident in his approach to the game, I dont know if KW or Ozzie will be able to send him down for more seasoning if he is ready to contribute on a semi-regular basis. He could challenge BA for playing time and Ozzie can get away with his lefty-righty switches with Sweeney playing Center against righties instead of Mackowiak.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
Right now, I think Ryan has a spot on this team, but I think he could use one more year in AAA. He has always been ahead of the curve, and him getting a full season in AAA would be fine. With Dye probably gone after next year, RF is Ryan's job to lose IMO.

The great thing about Sweeney is...with his age, you can't look at him and say "there's nothing else he could gain by another year in the minor leagues". This kid looks so close to 20-30 home run power it's not even funny, he just has to develop it. Beautiful swing, good composure, now some big league experience...the only thing slowing him down is the fact that he's so damn young. Another year will not hurt him in the minor leagues. A year in the big leagues would probably help him more, but it would hurt the Sox in terms of his arbitration clock.

Fields, because of his age if nothing else, should almost certainly be in the big leagues somewhere next year. Sweeney should be either in the minor leagues or playing OF for Pittsburgh or the Cubs or some other quasi-Minor League team next year. 2 years from now, Ryan Sweeney is going to be one hell of a batter, but he needs time to get to that point. This should be the season that a decision is made on Crede...if we want him long term, sign him now, if we can't or won't, then trade him now.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
With Fields getting accustomed to left field in winter ball, is there a chance that he might fill the role in left in 2007? The White Sox won't go into 2007 with Fields and Anderson in there line-up, I happen to think Fields progression this offseason has some bearing on next season's roster.

If we don't trade Crede, trade for Crawford or sign any of the top OF free agents, I think it's almost gauranteed that Fields and Sweeney will be plattooning in LF. And don't forget about Pods, you never know.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Fields is probably trade bait. The sox won't and shouldn't put him back in AAA. And he probably can't go anywhere but down as far as value. The sox should get as much pitching in return as possible for Fields now.

^^

Id like to see Crede stick around ( Im hoping his back is back up to par ). Even at 10 mil a season between his defense, power and clutch hitting he's still totally worth it.

My thoughts on Fields are pretty well known, I'd like to see him dealt right now while his value is so high.

I look at a team like the Padres as a perfect trading partner. You could get a Cesar Carillo and Scott Cassidy type of deal quite easily I would have thought, and maybe even more.

There are a lot of teams out there like the Padres, Phillies (Scott Mathieson, Michael Bourne), the Giants, Mariners (if they dealt Beltre to the Pads), that if the Sox made Fields available, they'd get a pretty nice offer for him.

Over the long - term I really have doubts over Fields plate discipline and his defense. I don't really want a guy who could have around 130-150K's in the lineup unless he's really going to produce very well in his other numbers like a guy like Jim Thome does with his OBP and BA etc.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 21, 2006 -> 05:21 AM)
^^

Id like to see Crede stick around ( Im hoping his back is back up to par ). Even at 10 mil a season between his defense, power and clutch hitting he's still totally worth it.

I very much agree. Joe put everything together in 2006 after his great 05 post season. For the Sox to let him go in a trade makes no sense, from a baseball, personal or a financial point of view.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 21, 2006 -> 05:32 AM)
My thoughts on Fields are pretty well known, I'd like to see him dealt right now while his value is so high.

I look at a team like the Padres as a perfect trading partner. You could get a Cesar Carillo and Scott Cassidy type of deal quite easily I would have thought, and maybe even more.

There are a lot of teams out there like the Padres, Phillies (Scott Mathieson, Michael Bourne), the Giants, Mariners (if they dealt Beltre to the Pads), that if the Sox made Fields available, they'd get a pretty nice offer for him.

Over the long - term I really have doubts over Fields plate discipline and his defense. I don't really want a guy who could have around 130-150K's in the lineup unless he's really going to produce very well in his other numbers like a guy like Jim Thome does with his OBP and BA etc.

I agree.

A top hitting prospect who plays a premium position should net at least a top pitching prospect in return. While the sox have decent arms in Broadway and Kyle M, they don't have the elite type stuff from a starter the sox should get in a trade of Fields.

Here are Carillo's AA numbers from 9 GS this season FWIW;

1-3, 3.02 ERA, 43 K's, 15 BB's, 5HR.

He'd easily have the best stuff of any White Sox prospect if he came into our system.

Also the Freddy Garcia to the Mets rumors are starting to heat up a little again.

Writers for various newspapers are tossing around the Heilman and Milledge for Willis, Peavy etc. talk again.

My question is, Humber and Milledge is probably too much to expect, would you do Milledge + fringe prospect for Garcia, if you couldn't get a better offer for Freddy elsewhere?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 21, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
Here are Carillo's AA numbers from 9 GS this season FWIW;

1-3, 3.02 ERA, 43 K's, 15 BB's, 5HR.

He'd easily have the best stuff of any White Sox prospect if he came into our system.

Also the Freddy Garcia to the Mets rumors are starting to heat up a little again.

Writers for various newspapers are tossing around the Heilman and Milledge for Willis, Peavy etc. talk again.

My question is, Humber and Milledge is probably too much to expect, would you do Milledge + fringe prospect for Garcia, if you couldn't get a better offer for Freddy elsewhere?

I'd center on Humber in a Garcia trade. Maybe a SS prospect as well with Reyes a fixture there

Carillo had some elbow issues this yr. Not sure how bad it is or what the prognosis is. With a trade of Fields, the sox should expect a sure thing rather than an injury risk.