Dead rock star potential

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Biggie Smalls

Really this shouldnt be in green.Im not big into hip-hop anymore but he was probably the best ever.He was one of the very few rappers I would consider really talented.

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 05:10 AM)
Really this shouldnt be in green.Im not big into hip-hop anymore but he was probably the best ever.He was one of the very few rappers I would consider really talented.

i don't know the last album he made wasn't very good. Ready to Die was awesome though. I think he'd exhausted his creativity personally, and if he continued to use puffy to produce it would have gotten even worse.

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)

Agreed. But the thread title notes "rock star potential". I'm not into rap all that much either, but I did like Biggie.

Eddie Cochran. The music world suffered a severe blow the day his car hit that tree, and it stopped him from ever recording again, and it changed the Gene Vincent did things.

Andrew Wood. His death changed the entire popular music landscape. The 90's would have been drastically different had he not died. They also would have been soooo much better had he lived.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
Andrew Wood. His death changed the entire popular music landscape. The 90's would have been drastically different had he not died. They also would have been soooo much better had he lived.

Not a Pearl Jam fan I take it? And for that matter, one could very easily argue Soundgarden too.

I haven't listened to Mother Love Bone much, but from what I have heard, they sounded pretty good.

The day the music died.....February 3rd, 1959.....Clear Lake, Iowa.

Buddy Holly

Richie Valens

The Big Bopper

All three had a lot more potential but had their lives cut short. Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on the plane but The Big Bopper took his spot. Jennings jokingly said "I hope your plane crashes," and he had to live with that for years.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
Not a Pearl Jam fan I take it? And for that matter, one could very easily argue Soundgarden too.

I haven't listened to Mother Love Bone much, but from what I have heard, they sounded pretty good.

No, not a Pearl Jam fan. Well, I really loved Ten, but have hated everything else. But if you hear Mother Love Bone, and listen to Wood's early band called "Malfunkshun", there is no doubt that MLB was his vision, and the songs written for Ten were very much the continuation of what he had started. That is why everything after Ten for Pearl Jam has sounded nothing like what was on Ten. Gossard and Ament basically adapt to what the "leader's" vision is. I respect the heck out of those two guys, and to a degree Vedder. But Vedder is such an artsy-fartsy guy he drives me crazy. I also don't like PJ much at all. I keep trying to get into Jam...and two good friends of mine are HUGE fans, but I just can't do it. But I have no doubt that what Wood would have done with MLB after Ten would have been more in line with Ten. Plus they would not have run away from the fame, as they did under Vedder's control, and instead would have embraced the "Rockstar" idea. If you ever saw Wood live, you would know that the man was 100% a "Rockstar" in the truest sense of the word. When I saw him he took the stage, full of arrogance. The audience had no idea what to think of the guy, and at first was a bit put off my him. But within 2 songs the place was all his. He had an incredible presence on stage I had never seen before, or since. But to go along with him, Greg Gilmore the drummer also owned the crowd. By the time they got around to "Chloe Dancer" and "Crown Of Thorns", you just knew that you were seeing greatness before. I have no doubt that MLB would have been almost as big as PJ became with Ten, and I have no doubt that within time they could have been something that would have dwarfed what PJ turned into.

No, I am not a Soundgarden fan at all. I like Louder Than Love, but that is about it.

Pearl Jam fans, I don't mean to offend you. It's just that if MLB had survived, the resulting band would have been totally different than what PJ's mentality was/is.

Quickly commenting on a few selections:

- Hutchinson's death occured well after INXS had reached their peak commercially. I like the band, but don't believe they had much left in the tank around the mid-90's.

-Syd Barrett died, what, last summer? Despite what the hardcore Pink Floyd fans would have you believe, early albums "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "Saucerful of Secrets" weren't very good. In content, both albums were more similar to the Yardbirds than the Pink Floyd we're all accustomed to.

My vote would go to Ronnie Van Zant of Lynard Skynard. I believe they could have easily adapted to the 80's rock scene, considering the talent guitarists amongst the group.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
My vote would go to Ronnie Van Zant of Lynard Skynard. I believe they could have easily adapted to the 80's rock scene, considering the talent guitarists amongst the group.

But a talented (for the brand of music they played) Rosington and Collins doesn't necessarily equal a huge potential in Ronnie Van Zant. I'm not knocking him or the group. And you're right - he could have adapted to the 80s. And he would have sounded just like his brother did in 38 Special or in the later era psudo-Skynard lineups.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Quickly commenting on a few selections:

- Hutchinson's death occured well after INXS had reached their peak commercially. I like the band, but don't believe they had much left in the tank around the mid-90's.

-Syd Barrett died, what, last summer? Despite what the hardcore Pink Floyd fans would have you believe, early albums "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "Saucerful of Secrets" weren't very good. In content, both albums were more similar to the Yardbirds than the Pink Floyd we're all accustomed to.

Actually, INXS had just released that Elegantly Wasted song which was very much a comeback/return for them and showed a lot more talent than Welcome to Wherever.... commercially they may have peaked, but creatively, they were headed somewhere interesting.

You could say that Syd Barrett died in the early 1970s after his mental illness forced his retirement after two solo releases.