Macha critical of Beane...

Rowand44

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
Beane had to fire Macha just to save his gigantic ego.

That's all the move was.

There's no way Macha was at fault for the A's losing, they just got beat. Beane had to find someone to blame.

Considering how the players came out in force against Macha, just, no. I believe Melhuse's quote was out even before the firing, which tells you something about their feelings on Macha. Success is always mostly about the players, but when the team has given up before the series is over, the decision about the manager should be pretty easy for any gm.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
Beane had to fire Macha just to save his gigantic ego.

That's all the move was.

There's no way Macha was at fault for the A's losing, they just got beat. Beane had to find someone to blame.

He should blame the owners, I am no Beane fanboy, but he consistently puts playoff teams together with a meh payroll

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
He should blame the owners, I am no Beane fanboy, but he consistently puts playoff teams together with a meh payroll

Well I'm not going to get into the whole Beane argument again but as far as this stuff goes, from what I've heard/read it definitely seems like Beane calls the shots there no matter what and the manager is just a puppet.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)

I agree with you. I think Beane is annoying, but his track record of success with that size market is great. It would be interesting to see how he would handle a large payroll team, it's not as easy as a lot of people think.

Didn't Frank Thomas say after they were down 3-0 that they were going to try and win it for Macha (that doesn't seem like something you'd say if the vast majority of the players were against Macha).

It sounded like Bradley (what a shock) and Melhouse had some problems but that was about it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Didn't Frank Thomas say after they were down 3-0 that they were going to try and win it for Macha (that doesn't seem like something you'd say if the vast majority of the players were against Macha).

It sounded like Bradley (what a shock) and Melhouse had some problems but that was about it.

I don't know the Thomas quote you're referring to, but the rest is flat wrong. In this article, Chavez, Kotsay, Zito, Kendall, and Haren all have uncomplimentary things to say about Macha. That's not even mentioning Melhuse's comments.

I know a lot of people here despise Beane, but using this to tee off on him is ridiculous.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
I don't know the Thomas quote you're referring to, but the rest is flat wrong. In this article, Chavez, Kotsay, Zito, Kendall, and Haren all have uncomplimentary things to say about Macha. That's not even mentioning Melhuse's comments.

I know a lot of people here despise Beane, but using this to tee off on him is ridiculous.

No one should use this directly. But like I said before I think a lot of us have known for a while that Beane pretty much calls the shots or at least wants to and it's not the easiest place to manage.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice quote from that article:

"I felt like he didn't protect me,'' Zito said. "I know a lot of managers do -- (White Sox first baseman) Paul Konerko told me that Ozzie Guillen would take a bullet for his players. I was upset but Macha was fighting his own battle and he probably couldn't process that kind of pressure, so, OK, I'll wear it.''

Maybe Zito can be coming over here because of Ozzie. Maybe we will be getting free agents because of Ozzie and not losing them because of Ozzie like some have suggested.