A step in the right direction

EvilMonkey

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...ticle%2FPrinter

Mubarak: Muslims must revamp image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press, THE JERUSALEM POST Oct. 20, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

President Hosni Mubarak said Thursday that the Islamic world was facing cruel and incorrect accusations, but said Muslims themselves must take some responsibility for others' erroneous impressions.

Mubarak made the comments in an address to senior Egyptian officials and Muslim clerics on the 27th day of Ramadan.

"Shouldn't we Muslims shoulder part of the responsibility of these wrong ideas about Islam? Have we fulfilled our duty in correcting the image of Islam and the Muslims? What did we do to face a terrorism that wears Islam's cloak and targets the lives of the people," Mubarak said in the remarks that were televised live.

Muslims are angry about drawings in the West mocking the prophet and about accusations that Islam encourages terrorism.

"We don't accept insulting our sanctities in the name of freedom of opinion or press, because disrespecting our beliefs inflames angry emotions, extremism and takes us toward grave paths," he said.

Mubarak cautioned the world against "sedition, confrontation, theories of the clash of civilizations and religions; don't mix religion with politics or politics with religion in international relations or tie Islam and Muslims with blind terrorism that knows no home or religion."

He said Islam for 14 centuries had established "principles of forgiveness, righteousness and reform and prevented wrong doings and did not allow racism or discrimination. Fascism or Nazism did not rise from Islam's land."

Mubarak said the golden age of Islamic civilization had retreated when creativity in Islam disappeared and people strayed away from the essence of the doctrine.

"We need a new religious approach that teaches people the correct things in their religion that gives greater value for interrelations, behavior, devotion and advocates principles of forgiveness and stands against exaggeration and extremism," he said.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
You mean the "Islamic world was facing cruel and incorrect accusations" line?

Iknow you are not stupid, but since it wasn't in green, I'll let you know the part I meant.

"but said Muslims themselves must take some responsibility for others' erroneous impressions. "

"And on a related note, in order to begin the correction of the negative image of Muslims, Mubarak banned 3 dissident political parties whose actions were detrimental to the state of Egypt and ordered the arrest and indefinite detention of 3000 enemies of the state of Egypt."

I don't see how "erroneous" certain statements are when Muslims are in a horserace with the Sudanese to see how many innocent people they can knock off in any given time period.

Oh wait, a lot of the Sudanese ARE Muslims.

I'll take religon of mass murder for 2000 Alex.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
I don't see how "erroneous" certain statements are when Muslims are in a horserace with the Sudanese to see how many innocent people they can knock off in any given time period.

Oh wait, a lot of the Sudanese ARE Muslims.

I'll take religon of mass murder for 2000 Alex.

And you will be just as accurate as someone who thinks that Americans are a bunch of violent, gun-crazy lunatics, because 30,000 people have died so far this year from gunshot wounds.

In both cases, the shoe fits for some people, and not others. Some of us choose not to apply the actions of a few to an entire religion or nation.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
And you will be just as accurate as someone who thinks that Americans are a bunch of violent, gun-crazy lunatics, because 30,000 people have died so far this year from gunshot wounds.

In both cases, the shoe fits for some people, and not others. Some of us choose not to apply the actions of a few to an entire religion or nation.

That figure of 30,000 is totally innacurate.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
That figure of 30,000 is totally innacurate.

Really?

Besides, this is just obfuscating the point. Whether its 20k or 40k, I wasn't really talking about gun violence. I am talking about your willingness to write off an entire nation, religion, creed or any other category because of the actions of some members of those categories.

If you really believe in personal responsbility as you claim, then how about judging people on THEIR actions, and not that of their neighbors.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Really?

Besides, this is just obfuscating the point. Whether its 20k or 40k, I wasn't really talking about gun violence. I am talking about your willingness to write off an entire nation, religion, creed or any other category because of the actions of some members of those categories.

If you really believe in personal responsbility as you claim, then how about judging people on THEIR actions, and not that of their neighbors.

Yeah, you make it sound as if there are 30K gun murders a year. Lumping in suicides and accidents skews the comparison.

I do believe strongly in personal responsibility and it bothers me when people are unwilling to stand up and call for change when murder, bombings, terrorism, blatant discrimination against women and an overall lack of tolerance for anything but their own view of things dominates.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
I do believe strongly in personal responsibility and it bothers me when people are unwilling to stand up and call for change when murder, bombings, terrorism, blatant discrimination against women and an overall lack of tolerance for anything but their own view of things dominates.

That I can agree with.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Really?

It's really simple northside, people of Nuke's leaning yearn for confrontation wherever they can find it.