Blagojevich and Topinka

AbeFroman

I'm pretty fed up with the nonsense spewing out of our two gubernatorial candidate right now. Frankly, I think they are both morons. I've decided not to vote in the governor's election.

There's all kinds of shadiness around Blago; Topinka worked closely with a crook (ryan). All these attack ads make me sick. I wish they could both lose.

You mean clueless and the creep?

I know more than one person who have already decided to vote for the Green Party candidate for Governor. Neither one of these candidates are worth a damn.

Its a shame too, because Illinois used to be semi-progressive and innovative as states go in a lot of ways until recently. The state house is still pretty solid, but there are some monster agencies like IDOT that need a shake up so we can pay for schools. Illinois education has been falling for a decade or more.

I think it is quite amazing that they both backed out of their debate schedules against each other. Its like both of them were like "I cannot handle the questions they are gonna ask me" and threw their hands up and decided to let their fates rest on their attack ads.

It is very hard to see any sort of good that these two have done with all of the crap being thrown up on the wall.

Ugh.. Topinka is friends with a looney that lives down the street from us. She visited her a month or so ago and door knocked down our block. I heard her blabbing to the neighbors and she made me ill. She knocked on our door and Ginger tried to bite her when she tried to step into our foyer. She never says anything about what she's going to do and just badmouths everyone else. And she smells.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
I can't remember the last time we had a gubernatorial candidate that was worth their salt.

I seem to remember liking Jim Edgar, in some ways.

Thing with Illinois is, the state Congress has tended to hold sway more than any governor (at least since Thompson).

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Ugh.. Topinka is friends with a looney that lives down the street from us. She visited her a month or so ago and door knocked down our block. I heard her blabbing to the neighbors and she made me ill. She knocked on our door and Ginger tried to bite her when she tried to step into our foyer. She never says anything about what she's going to do and just badmouths everyone else. And she smells.

That's the most important part as to why to not vote for her. :lol:

Go Ginger. :)

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Adlai Stevenson, Jim Thompson . . .

Jim Edgar.

As for this year..........I said I was voting straight Republican but I think whoever the Libertarian candidate is will get my vote in this contest to see who the tallest midget is. I expected more from Topinka.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
And she smells.

And you know this how?

:bang

Smoking gun or smoking pile of crap?

http://www.wbbm780.com/pages/112524.php?co...ontentId=228251

Topinka: Blago. Memo A Bomshell, Evidence Of Pay-To-Play

CHICAGO (WBBM) -- Republican Gubenatorial Candidate and State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka says a memo from indicted fundraiser Tony Rezko to Governor Blagojevich listing the names of candidates for Illinois State Boards.. is a bomb shell.

WBBM Newsradio's Mary Frances Bragiel reports.

The list was faxed to Governor Blagojevich along with a note from his former chief of staff Lon Monk that read "Rod here is a list of candidates that Tony Rezko wants to be put on non-paying boards. what are your thought".. that's according to the Sun-Times. The paper says ten of the 19 people listed, or their spouses, got appointments.

Topinka says this is major pay to play from an administration that vowed to clean up state government.

Fundraiser Rezko is accused of shaking down firms seeking state business, and Topinka says the report shows he and the governor worked together to help Blagojevich campaign contributors.

A spokesperson for the Blagojevich administration tells the Sun-Times that Rezko is one of several people who made recommendations. and that some were taken, others were not.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
She was standing about 2 feet from me. She reaked of BO and waaayyy too much cheap perfume. :puke

Awww come on Steff, she was working hard at campaigning... :lolhitting

Your dog probably made her sweat. :lol:

Question: By purposely not voting for either, can you in fact be making your voice heard that a change is needed in the system? I have a hard time wrestling with this one, because the only other way you could say that is voting an alternate party candidate, and they'll never win, or even come anywhere close to where a message is sent.

Anyways, I think it's becoming clear nationwide (but especially in Illinois) that a new voice is needed, probably a 3rd party, with all the lies and extremism both parties are resorting to. Political moderation is dying and getting close to being completely dead among those with the power.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Question: By purposely not voting for either, can you in fact be making your voice heard that a change is needed in the system? I have a hard time wrestling with this one, because the only other way you could say that is voting an alternate party candidate, and they'll never win, or even come anywhere close to where a message is sent.

Anyways, I think it's becoming clear nationwide (but especially in Illinois) that a new voice is needed, probably a 3rd party, with all the lies and extremism both parties are resorting to. Political moderation is dying and getting close to being completely dead among those with the power.

Not voting may send the message, but it also creates a further rift between the people and their representatives. If alternative parties started getting 5 or 10% of the vote, that would send a pretty big message. If more people voted in the primaries, that would help too - that is often where the few good candidates are. We also need election reform, and that is something we can push our Reps on if we really care enough.

I'd like to see a separate thread on this from the great minds of soxtalk - a serious thread on election reform and how we try to fix the problem. The two party system sucks because the real ideas get hijacked by the extremes. It sucks the way it is now, and most Americans are in the middle, figuratively and literally.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
I'd like to see a separate thread on this from the great minds of soxtalk - a serious thread on election reform and how we try to fix the problem. The two party system sucks because the real ideas get hijacked by the extremes. It sucks the way it is now, and most Americans are in the middle, figuratively and literally.

More accurately my first step would be to reform campaign financing.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
I really like Lisa Madigan, are there any whispers that she may run for Governor sometime?

Lisa rocks.

But I'll lay good money that she won't run for governor as long as her father is still Speaker of the House. That would appear far to crony-like (even though in reality, Lisa and Michael are different politically).