Jeff Skilling gets 24 years for Enron fraud.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
Unless you die and they suspend your sentence. :angry:

No kidding. Before I die I'm going to earn billions in fraud and then pass it off to my heirs. Apparently there's no penalty for screwing a ton of people out of their retirements.

As for Skilling, I would have liked 10 more years.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
Unless you die and they suspend your sentence. :angry:

24 years for Skilling sounds about right.

Where's the conspiracy posts that Cheney got him in the "witness protection" (ahem... ;) ;) ;) ) program the day before he died?

:bringit

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
When you have the ability to Pardon a prisoner, why bother with that mess?

:lol:

That's a good answer. You aim to please, eh?

He would NEVER have gotten pardoned, hence why he's living in Central or South America right about now as Kenethcia Laycia. :lol:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
I don't have a good scale to know if this is fair or not. Rapists have gotten less. A drunk driver kills a person and gets less.

True, and hard to determine what is appropriate. But when you add up the thousands of people bilked out of their retirements and/or their jobs and/or the value of their company stock, you can't help but come to the conclusion that he and Lay (and Fastow too if he hadn't cut a deal) should have been getting more than a slap on the wrist.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
Where's the conspiracy posts that Cheney got him in the "witness protection" (ahem... ;) ;) ;) ) program the day before he died?

:bringit

He must not have saved enough money from Enron to invest in a Presidental pardon...

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
True, and hard to determine what is appropriate. But when you add up the thousands of people bilked out of their retirements and/or their jobs and/or the value of their company stock, you can't help but come to the conclusion that he and Lay (and Fastow too if he hadn't cut a deal) should have been getting more than a slap on the wrist.

DING! You really want to prevent corporate fraud, let every individual who lost their job or income because of these guys count as one charge in the indictment against these people. If a guy goes on a killing spree they don't just indict him on one thing, why should white collar crime be any different? Next up should be civil suits against the individuals for their damages.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:16 AM)
That's true. There were thousands of people wiped out because of these bastards.

And to clarify, there were thousands of people wiped out because of illegal acts committed by these bastards. CEOs, COOs, CFOs, etc. can still be incompetent and wipe out your pension, as long as they do it legally. Which is something I think about when the topic of private investments in Social Security comes up, but that is a different horse to whip.