Sox interested in A-Rod?

tonyho7476

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
But NY is under no obligation to pass that money on if they trade Arod.

Technically, IIRC, they are under the obligation to do so. The money was linked to Arod's contract and there were some specific clauses when they made the original trade.

I know there are cases where the money doesn't have to come, but a good chunk of the time the money sticks with the player (often times because it has to).

If its going to take 10-12 per year over 4 years to lock up Crede than I'm starting to be willing to make this deal, but I wouldn't be making it for Arod to go back to SS, instead I'd make it and try to acquire a SS using Fields as bait. Maybe swing some sort of deal with Fields for a Maicer Itzuris (with us getting more in return, potentially one of there catcher's).

Say no to A-Rod. However, I can see KW making a move like this. If NY pays a large chunk of his remainig salary and we would only pay abour 10 mill/season KW would be all over this. Here are the reasons this may happen if NY would accept Garcia and Crede.

A. It would FINALLY open up room for BMac

B. Crede and Garcia would be on the last years of their contracts anyways.

C. Both Crede and A-rod have Boras as thier agent so a deal would be easy to work with.

D. New York is desperate for a pitcher who can give them 200+ innings and Garcia can provide them that.

E. The New York fans and media are tired of A-Rod. Its time for a change.

So out of all the teams interested in him. I can see the Sox getting most out of any team. I say we don't need him, but i wouldn't argue too much. After all he is one of the best hitters and players of all time, maybe a change in scenery would do wonders for him? Look what it did for Contreras and AJ.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
But NY is under no obligation to pass that money on if they trade Arod.

I'm pretty sure in his deal it does. I'll look for a link, but I recall that MLB approval was based on those funds following the life of the contract.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
I'm pretty sure in his deal it does. I'll look for a link, but I recall that MLB approval was based on those funds following the life of the contract.

I'm pretty durn sure you're right, Steff. Money follows the player. And I think in the Sun-Times article it said that with the Rangers cash, it would be right about $10 mil a year that we would have to pay if NY doesn't send any additional money, which, for A-Rod, would be a bargain.

If we could add some minor-leaguers and get some bullpen help too, Scott Procter perhaps, then I'd say, go fer it.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
FWIW, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reported last week that the Sox would offer Crede and Garcia for A-ROD, too, so it may be a coincidence or there may be something to it.

it will be interesting to see what comes of this, since similar names have been tied to the Sox rumors, as well as the Angels (usually Santana and a rotating 2nd player)

Of course this is all meaningless chat because after reading the papers last week, it seems now that Pinella is the Cubs manager they'll get him for Henry Blanco and the NYY will pick up the entire contract

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 10:08 AM)
Along that vein, I was wondering is this a recycling of the same story, or is it someone actually doing a little research?

Nightengale is one of the best in the biz and he has a ton of contacts in Chicago from his days of working the Sox beat.

It seems odd to me that his contract would be amended to say X dollars are paid by Texas and Y dollars are paid by New York. Actually would he then have a contract with Texas and a contract with NY? It would make more sense that all dollars are paid by New York. The player would continue to get everything that was spelled out in the contract. In the end it doesn't matter, the amount he is due will not change, whether he receives three checks or only one, it probably isn't important.

But who would it benefit if his contract was amended to say Texas always pays A-Rod? Would it make a difference who Texas writes the check to? Plus, if he is traded, couldn't the receiving team just toss back the Ranger money in the deal, if that is what it took? Obviously it would probably be the Yankess tossing in cash. I can't see the player wanting to deal with two teams, especially after he has left one.

Just to clear things up, if ARod were traded, assuming the Yankees did not pick up any salary, the money Texas ate to make ARod tradable would follow him to whatever team the Yankees deal him to. That amount is about $66 million over 4 years, or slightly more than $16 million per year. There has been some speculation that NY might pick up some additional salary, to lessen the commitment to somewhere more in the neighborhood of $12 million per year, and involve more teams in the bidding, however, that is fairly unlikely IMO.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Just to clear things up, if ARod were traded, assuming the Yankees did not pick up any salary, the money Texas ate to make ARod tradable would follow him to whatever team the Yankees deal him to. That amount is about $66 million over 4 years, or slightly more than $16 million per year. There has been some speculation that NY might pick up some additional salary, to lessen the commitment to somewhere more in the neighborhood of $12 million per year, and involve more teams in the bidding, however, that is fairly unlikely IMO.

Link?

Here's one that states the Rangers owe New York click

He is owed, in effect, $66.6 million by New York over the last four seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year contract. Rodriguez receives $95 million, with the Yankees getting $28.4 million from Texas to offset part of that.

I doubt in this case it would make a difference, but I could see a deal where the third team down the road would not receive the entire amount. A great example would be someone like Thomas or Thome, a superstar with a questionable recovery. They recover 100%, have great seasons and their value rises. The team that was receiving money would possibly not have to eat as much of the salary as the first team did.