Sox interested in A-Rod?

tonyho7476

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
KW being KW, which IMO is a good thing.

If A-Rod is/was available and you have the things NYY would be interested in you got to at least inquire.

No suprise names, I guess MB a little, but not shocking. It will be interesting to see how they open that spot for B-Mac... I don't see KW trading for prospects only, he'll likely want something that helps immediately at least as a part of a deal.

One name that wouldn't fill the lead-off role, and he's a butcher in LF, but if the Reds ever trade Dunn, I'm sure they would be interested in a quality starting pitcher. I like Dunn, but don't know how he would fit.

Strikes out too much...and we already have a DH. But not a bad idea.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Heilman will not be a good starter.

I somewhat agree just based on his stats as a starter 3-6 5.01 ERA in the NL. But you gotta admint he has some good stuff. I agree though he is better as a reliever.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
I saw that as well.

Anyone catch the blurb in the Times??

That was from yesterday...

FG for Heilman and Lastings would be a steal. Obviously we would have to include more pieces.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
A-Rod having an out clause makes him a lot less attractive. That means Boras is looming...

Does anyoen in their right minds seriously think that ARod would actually be able and willing to use his out clause? 32, 33 year old SS/3B might be worth a lot to some teams, but is he seriously going to get anything remotely close to $25 million a year? He might get half that on the market next year if he used his out clause.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
In other words, they want to trade him but need him to waive his no trade.

More specifically, they want him to demand a trade so that the Yankees can trade him without ARod making any additional demands, i.e. another year on his contract or something insane like that.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
I think thats a given, however I find it interesting alot of talk about Freddy and Vaz are coming from NEW YORK, and not from Chicago.

I still have my money on Kenny getting deal done with the Mets or Texas this off-season....

I think that it would be an interesting deal for both teams. If the mets get one of our sp's they immediately look very good to win that division again next year. Also we could use the bullpen arm and the prospect.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
Does anyoen in their right minds seriously think that ARod would actually be able and willing to use his out clause? 32, 33 year old SS/3B might be worth a lot to some teams, but is he seriously going to get anything remotely close to $25 million a year? He might get half that on the market next year if he used his out clause.

More specifically, they want him to demand a trade so that the Yankees can trade him without ARod making any additional demands, i.e. another year on his contract or something insane like that.

I believe by that stage of his contract he is into the $29 million per year portion of his deal.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Exactly. Omar has put together a very good lineup over in NY, and isn't going to let it go to waste because they can't pitch. The Mets find themselves right in the middle of that "3-4 year window" all teams love to be in.

If they can find the right match, I dont see any reason why Minaya wont deal away prospects to get guys to help him win now.

Thats what makes this attractive for both teams. We need to get rid of an SP and need some pen and spect help, and they really need one or two sp's for their rotation.

Here's the dilemma dealing with Minaya -- he'll likely demand Vazquez for a significant package. Anyone seriously believe Williams would trade him when you consider Garcia's impending FA status?

It either comes down to New York paying more for an additional year of Javier, or paying less for one season Garcia. All extension talk aside.

Only condition I'd consider trading Vazquez is if Heilman AND Pelfrey are included. If we're losing one of our best pitchers, it better be worthwhile. Minaya doesn't like it he can overpay for Zito or offer less for Garcia and negotiate an extension.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Here's the dilemma dealing with Minaya -- he'll likely demand Vazquez for a significant package. Anyone seriously believe Williams would trade him when you consider Garcia's impending FA status?

It either comes down to New York paying more for an additional year of Javier, or paying less for one season Garcia. All extension talk aside.

Only condition I'd consider trading Vazquez is if Heilman AND Pelfrey are included. If we're losing one of our best pitchers, it better be worthwhile. Minaya doesn't like it he can overpay for Zito or offer less for Garcia and negotiate an extension.

If I understadn the deal correctly, Vazquez only has 1 more guaranteed year on his contract as well, and 2008 is an option year...an expensive option also. Such that the White Sox may find some benefit in actually moving him instead of having no choice but to pick up something like a $12 million option for a 5th starter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
If I understadn the deal correctly, Vazquez only has 1 more guaranteed year on his contract as well, and 2008 is an option year...an expensive option also. Such that the White Sox may find some benefit in actually moving him instead of having no choice but to pick up something like a $12 million option for a 5th starter.

Actually he's arbitration eligible after this season due to demanding the trade last offseason. So we control his rights until after the 08 season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)

I'd be willing to take a risk with Vazquez. If the language of his contract is how you described it, then it may essentially be a 1yr deal in 2008. If we're paying him 12 million, it'll be because there are no better options; or his 2007 season would have made him worth the investment.

If we're intent on seriously contending, we need someone of his abilities anchoring this rotation. Especially in any potential playoff series. He atleast possesses the abillity to dominate a lineup, even if it's for five innings.

Come next season and Sox management is disappointed again with Javier, then he'll option will be denied and whichever package Garcia gave us is ready to perform. The alternative scenario is trading Vazquez to the Mets for a pitching-heavy package, leaving Garcia to finish 2007 with us, then hoping Mets/White Soxpitching prospects decide the vacant spot the proceding season.

I wouldn't honestly mind trading Vazquez is someone is willing to overpay. The problem is, I know Williams is more concerned with competing next season than looking beyond it. With this (probable) knowledge, you have to figure what's best for this club now.

What really separates the two in my view is both the potential to succeed and contract status. Overpaying Vazquez for one season (08) may give several prospects an additional year of work, which would avoid inserting them into the rotation. Or trading/signing another starting pitcher.

Ultiamtely, while we may HOPE for Garcia's shoulder to heal, but we're aware Vazquez's problems are mechanical and mental. Easier to correct those issues than hoping Garcia regains 5 mph on his fastball.

With the question marks concerning the other pitchers within our rotation, I'd feel more comfortable with the knowledge someone in our rotation possesses ace-material stuff. Which, as previously mentioned, is pivotal for a playoff series.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
Actually he's arbitration eligible after this season due to demanding the trade last offseason. So we control his rights until after the 08 season.

If only I had seen your post, then I may have occupied the last 15 minutes of my life with something more useful. :bang :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
If only I had seen your post, then I may have occupied the last 15 minutes of my life with something more useful. :bang :D

As far as I can tell, having a player be arbitration-eligible is basically the same thing as the team having an option on him...the team basically gets to decide whether they want him back or not. The only difference is he might become even more expensive in arbitration, since contracts don't go down there.

so we'd get rid of arugably the best fielding 3b in baseball and a .300 25hr, 100rbi hitter for a guy who chokes and bats .119 in the playoffs.

Than we'd start an unproved 3b, who will be at the best, average.

hitting was not are problem, its pitching. I would musch rather trade Garcia for two top notch Relief pitchers and a possible minor league prospect.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
so we'd get rid of arugably the best fielding 3b in baseball and a .300 25hr, 100rbi hitter for a guy who chokes and bats .119 in the playoffs.

Than we'd start an unproved 3b, who will be at the best, average.

hitting was not are problem, its pitching. I would musch rather trade Garcia for two top notch Relief pitchers and a possible minor league prospect.

Alex Rodriguez is a career .280 hitter in the playoffs, don't get it twisted. I don't think his last 2 years with the Yankees are a great measurement of his abilities in clutch time seeing how he tore it up with the Mariners in the postseason in '97 & '00 not to mention his 16/50 (.320) performance in the '04 playoffs as a Yankee.

Remember kids, don't believe everything ESPN tells you. They're more than likely lying to your face.

So we'd be trading a 28 year old 3B who is comming off a career year, has a bad back and a career .308 OBP for a sure fire Hall of Famer who will likely end up hitting around 800 homeruns in his career and go down as one of the greatest players in the history of the game.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)

Just to expand on Rowand's post...

By being arbitration eligible, if the Sox were to offer him, he'll receive a salary commensurate with his performance in a White Sox uniform when compared to free agents of the last two years who had similar numbers.

Thanks to Kevin Millwood, AJ Burnett, Jarrod Washburn, and soon, Matsuzaka, Zito, Schmidt, and even the Suppans and Weavers of the world, I think it's pretty safe bet that with another year like '06 his arbitration award will be more than his '07 salary.

I recognize that middle relief is important, but if the Sox are looking to trade FG or Vaz, in this market, I would like to see them get back an impact player, either in LF or CF.

I think KW has done a solid job of scrap heaping middle relievers in the past few years. I think KW will make one headline trade, but the most important signing/trade he may make this offseason will be signing some obscure pitcher in late January...