Prison Sentences

Texsox

I was thinking about prison sentences and all they are suppose to do:

Protect Society from the individual

Protect Society from others like this individual (making an example)

Rehabilitate offender

Satiate society's thirst for revenge/justice

Satiate the victim's thirst for justice/revenge

Balancing this is the cost, both human, and monetary that locking someone up and rehab programs cost.

Wow, how we ever get that right is beyond me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
I was thinking about prison sentences and all they are suppose to do:

Protect Society from the individual

Protect Society from others like this individual (making an example)

Rehabilitate offender

Satiate society's thirst for revenge/justice

Satiate the victim's thirst for justice/revenge

Balancing this is the cost, both human, and monetary that locking someone up and rehab programs cost.

Wow, how we ever get that right is beyond me.

If it's properly imposed, the death penalty accomplishes all of those things. Its too bad our society doesn't have the guts to bury those who deserve it.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
If it's properly imposed, the death penalty accomplishes all of those things. Its too bad our society doesn't have the guts to bury those who deserve it.

The thing is that the death penalty cannot be properly imposed because human beings are by nature imperfect creatures and prone to making mistakes and having biases. A completely color blind/economics blind etc. system is a pipe dream.

Add in the fact that the sheer cost of capital punishment cases is skyrocketing comparatively to life w/out parole and we've got another big reason.

And oh yes, the whole "life is sacred" thing that the majority of this country claims to believe in, especially those that are anti-abortion. People cannot lose their innate sanctity of life at a certain age or because of a certain act. Either you believe in the sanctity of life for all people or don't believe in it at all.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
The thing is that the death penalty cannot be properly imposed because human beings are by nature imperfect creatures and prone to making mistakes and having biases. A completely color blind/economics blind etc. system is a pipe dream.

Add in the fact that the sheer cost of capital punishment cases is skyrocketing comparatively to life w/out parole and we've got another big reason.

And oh yes, the whole "life is sacred" thing that the majority of this country claims to believe in, especially those that are anti-abortion. People cannot lose their innate sanctity of life at a certain age or because of a certain act. Either you believe in the sanctity of life for all people or don't believe in it at all.

Unlike you, I believe in removing these parasites from society permanentely. I love how people like you go off constantly citing how much capital punishment costs when it is YOU that drive up the cost of it with years and years of frivolus motions, appeals and other legal manuevers all with the single aim of delaying justice.

Oh, by the way, that same majority that believes in the sanctity of life ( innocent life that is being snuffed out via abortion to be more accurate ) also believes in dispensing with society's worst criminals.

Huh? What's this got to do with anything? Should we rid ourselves of the entire justice system because we're not perfect? Let's just give up and let criminals run lose because of the small chance of making a mistake in convicting someone...

Agree with Nuke. Trial, Appeal and a .50 cent 9mm bullet to the back of the head doesn't cost that much.

Who say's I can't? I can make a distinction between an unborn baby who deserves to live and a murderer who doesn't. Nice logic there...but no.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
Agree with Nuke. Trial, Appeal and a .50 cent 9mm bullet to the back of the head doesn't cost that much.

But it also ends any chance of correcting a mistake, and as we've all seen, the American judicial system is very, very far from perfect, and does make more than a few mistakes, including in capital cases.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
Huh? What's this got to do with anything? Should we rid ourselves of the entire justice system because we're not perfect? Let's just give up and let criminals run lose because of the small chance of making a mistake in convicting someone...

I am not stating that I agree with it, but, the argument there is that the death penalty (unlike prison terms) is irreversible. If a mistake was made, there is no way to correct it. And since humans are flawed, we should avoid that permanent, ultimate penalty.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
The legal system is getting too expensive. We should probably get rid of trial by jury while we're at it. We will save at least ten dollars per juror per day they would have been in court. Think of all the money we could save!

Bush is already working on that.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
The legal system is getting too expensive. We should probably get rid of trial by jury while we're at it. We will save at least ten dollars per juror per day they would have been in court. Think of all the money we could save!

Actually, I'd be pretty happy with removal of trial by jury. I think its a failed system. But that has nothing to do with $$$$, since you'd need to replace them with more judges.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)

Once again. Sarcasm is a poor substitute for reasoned debate.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
I am not stating that I agree with it, but, the argument there is that the death penalty (unlike prison terms) is irreversible. If a mistake was made, there is no way to correct it. And since humans are flawed, we should avoid that permanent, ultimate penalty.

So if you have several witnesses, and videotape, and a confession, would it then be ok, or is video flawed as well? And yes, I know it can be 'fixed', but I am pretty sure you get the gist of my question. While I agree that there is no 'undo' button on the death penalty, therearecases where there is no mistake.

Prison doesnt rehabilitate.

Its to warehouse people who cant follow the rules of society.

Certain criminals have the ability to rehabilitate. Petty theft, car thieves, and crimes that dont link to a habitual drug habit can be fixed. Pedophiles, anyone that choses their habitual drug habit over the lives of society, and those who murder should be locked in and throw away the key. For the pedophiles they should dig a hole behind the prison, and toss them in, and then cover them with dirt until you hear no more of the vermin.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
He was responsible in part yes. Should he, as the apparent sole representative of the federal government, have done more? No. Bush got the bulk of the blame when both the local and state governments also failed their constituents. The federal government should be there to assist the state and local resources, not replace them which is what most people want them to do.

So if you have several witnesses, and videotape, and a confession, would it then be ok, or is video flawed as well? And yes, I know it can be 'fixed', but I am pretty sure you get the gist of my question. While I agree that there is no 'undo' button on the death penalty, therearecases where there is no mistake.

Bingo.

I'm not saying we should rid ourselves of the appeals process because it's costly and time consuming. But if you've exhausted your legal options there's no reason to keep the person around anymore. It's a waste of tax payer money that could be put to better use, like building communities so that criminals don't exist in the first place. Isn't it something like 30k a year per prisoner in this country?