Mets looking to deal Milledge/Heilman?

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
I would love to get pelfrey somehow(he can be traded, since he's pitched in the bigs already, so he doesn't have to wait a year after he signed). Would you rather have Pelfrey of Humber? I wouldn't mind either, but I'll go with Pelfrey, especially since Humber was pulled from the AFL with shoulder soreness, although that shouldn't be a big deal. The Mets have a lot to offer, that's for sure.

Pelfrey. He's got a healthy shoulder while Humber had to have had arm problems a couple times. Humber is awfully talented too, but give me the guy with the better health rep. Both are top notch prospects though (when healthy).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Technically speaking it seems attitude is the big reason the Mets are open to getting rid of him. I've also seen him make some horrible mistakes in the field, but thats totally understandable considering he's a rookie.

The question is how much of the attitude is because he's in NY. Either way I'll take Mike Pelfrey. If we want to go young in LF we have Sweeney or Fields.

Pelfrey dominated AA in his 12 games, pitched well in his only AAA game and while he's been rushed he has front of the rotation stuff and was able to get his feet wet at the major league level part of last season.

This is all true of Pelfrey but Boras is his agent, and that would be a problem down the line.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
Here's the question I have for folks here: how comfortable are we with a quasi-rookie leadoff hitter/LF next year? (Stick Milledge next to Anderson and suddenly we have a great defensive outfield, with potentially a ton of speed and good power in LF)

isn't one of the knocks on milledge his defense?

I could be wrong.

Im sure everyone would want Pelfrey over Milledge, but where has it been said the Mets will deal him? Even with Brian Anderson, Milledge, and 06 version of Uribe in our lineup we would probably still be able to produce more runs than the 05 team. Plus maybe we dont even keep Uribe....

Id be perfectly happy with an OF going into the 07 year with Milledge, Anderson, and Dye.... hopefully if we do there is a change at SS but im fully expecting big years from Vazquez, Garland, and Buehrle next season. And if Contreras can stay healthy and all maybe him too.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
Im sure everyone would want Pelfrey over Milledge, but where has it been said the Mets will deal him? Even with Brian Anderson, Milledge, and 06 version of Uribe in our lineup we would probably still be able to produce more runs than the 05 team. Plus maybe we dont even keep Uribe....

Yeah, I really doubt the likelyhood of the Sox landing Pelfrey. I could see maybe Humber, but even that is shakey.

Maybe there's a scenario where the Sox could ship off Contreras, not Garcia, to the Mets. Although the injury could scare some teams off, Contreras is signed at a reasonable price ($10 per year, I believe) for the next couple seasons. That might be more appealing to some teams than Garcia, who's only locked up for one year. Then again, a starter would have to be included in on the deal then.

Personally, I'd take Heilman + Milledge for either Contreras or Garcia. Then, in 2008, you could give Heilman another shot in the rotation, along with Broadway (competing for the same spot, of course).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
Yeah, I really doubt the likelyhood of the Sox landing Pelfrey. I could see maybe Humber, but even that is shakey.

Maybe there's a scenario where the Sox could ship off Contreras, not Garcia, to the Mets. Although the injury could scare some teams off, Contreras is signed at a reasonable price ($10 per year, I believe) for the next couple seasons. That might be more appealing to some teams than Garcia, who's only locked up for one year. Then again, a starter would have to be included in on the deal then.

Personally, I'd take Heilman + Milledge for either Contreras or Garcia. Then, in 2008, you could give Heilman another shot in the rotation, along with Broadway (competing for the same spot, of course).

Contreras' contract includes full no-trade protection in '07, the first year of his deal.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Contreras' contract includes full no-trade protection in '07, the first year of his deal.

I noticed that too when I looked.

So I'm wondering, does 2007 start when the World Series ends, or at 12:00 AM on January 1st?

• 2 weeks later...

Love that Kenny is aiming high. Milledge and Pelfrey is probably unrealistic, but who cares? Sometimes GMs do dumb things, and with Pedro's hurt shoulder and the overall lack of good starting pitchers for the Mets, you never know.

I'd take a step down (although some people might consider Heilman>Humber) and ask for Heilman + Milledge. If need be, see if Cintron intrigues the Mets at all as a guy who could complete their 2nd-base platoon.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
Good for Kenny. He realizes that his $10 million pitchers are going to be worth big money on the open market this year, when the rest of the starters are looking at 13-15 million per, plus a 4-5 year deal, at least. Mark my words, someone will overpay for one of our starters.

If we can get some kind of package involving 2 players like we have been talking about from the Mets, then I hope Kenny doesn't stop at just trading 1 SP. Trading 2 SP and getting those returns could set this franchise up for much extended success.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
If we can get some kind of package involving 2 players like we have been talking about from the Mets, then I hope Kenny doesn't stop at just trading 1 SP. Trading 2 SP and getting those returns could set this franchise up for much extended success.

As long as young pitching is one of the items that comes back.

I can live with Haeger, Broadway, or some combination of those 2 and whoever we pick up in trades holding down the 5th starter spot if it leads to resigning Crede, Buehrle, Dye, Iguchi, adding in 2 young pitching prospects, and filling in our LF/SS/leadoff hitter holes.

But it only works if we add in more young pitching.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)

And it would also pretty much ensure that we missed the playoffs for at least one year, if not a couple while those two pitchers developed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
And it would also pretty much ensure that we missed the playoffs for at least one year, if not a couple while those two pitchers developed.

Not necessarily. If you can (my point is only if this is possible) pick up Heilman and Pelfrey for Garcia. You've got BMac as well as Heilman to move into the backend of the rotation. Meanwhile, you have Pelfrey developing. That allows another trade of a SP to be made. Texas? Danks and others. Suddenly you rid yourself of a ton of salary as well as age for a ton of young talent. A nucleus of BMac, Pelfrey, Danks, and Heilman is pretty damn good. Just an idea.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
Not necessarily. If you can (my point is only if this is possible) pick up Heilman and Pelfrey for Garcia. You've got BMac as well as Heilman to move into the backend of the rotation. Meanwhile, you have Pelfrey developing. That allows another trade of a SP to be made. Texas? Danks and others. Suddenly you rid yourself of a ton of salary as well as age for a ton of young talent. A nucleus of BMac, Pelfrey, Danks, and Heilman is pretty damn good. Just an idea.

IF all of those kids develop right away. How many times does a touted starting pitcher step into the rotation and realize his potential right away, let alone having multiple starting pitchers do it, all at the sametime. Its one thing to be breaking in one starter, which it sounds pretty for sure we are going to be doing, it makes things even more complicated. Sure it might work 2-3 + years down the road, but odds are in 2007 we do not make the playoffs. Heck, who was even the last team to make the playoffs with two essential rookies in the starting 5.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
IF all of those kids develop right away. How many times does a touted starting pitcher step into the rotation and realize his potential right away, let alone having multiple starting pitchers do it, all at the sametime. Its one thing to be breaking in one starter, which it sounds pretty for sure we are going to be doing, it makes things even more complicated. Sure it might work 2-3 + years down the road, but odds are in 2007 we do not make the playoffs. Heck, who was even the last team to make the playoffs with two essential rookies in the starting 5.

The 2006 Twins.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)

I'll take a rotation of Jose Contreras, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Brandon McCarthy, and x where x = either Haeger or a guy talented enough to give us real hope (or some random cheap free agent stop-gap measure) and go in to battle with that with a fair amount of happiness...especially if we fill our leadoff hitter/LF/SS holes at the same time.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
The Twins rotation had one rookie to start the season. Baker was the only rookie starter to begin the season. Plus none of the guys mention is anything close to a Liriano or Santana.

Pelfrey is close. Some argued that he was the best pitcher of the 2005 draft despite the fact that he went 9th (two pitchers went ahead of him). Jason raves about his stuff, too, as do any Mets fans who have a reasonable clue about their farm system.

I personally think that people even hoping for Pelfrey are nuts (myself included).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Pelfrey is close. Some argued that he was the best pitcher of the 2005 draft despite the fact that he went 9th (two pitchers went ahead of him). Jason raves about his stuff, too, as do any Mets fans who have a reasonable clue about their farm system.

I personally think that people even hoping for Pelfrey are nuts (myself included).

12MikePelfrey.jpg

6'7 with a fastball that is in the mid 90s that can go as high as 97. Yeah if KW can pull this off, he is officially a Jedi Master.