Most people feel terror war has not hurt civil liberties.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/25/poll.bush/index.html

While 39 percent of the 1,013 poll respondents said the Bush administration has gone too far, 34 percent said they believe the administration has been about right on the restrictions, according to the Opinion Research Corp. survey. Another 25 percent said the administration has not gone far enough.

Guess people aren't all that upset about the Patriot Act or wiretapping or much of anything else that has been done to fight terrorism. No surprise to me.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)

Guess people aren't all that upset about the Patriot Act or wiretapping or much of anything else that has been done to fight terrorism. No surprise to me.

As with most political issues that aren't in the public's face every day and really, really simple to understand... the American public remains blissfully ignorant.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
As with most political issues that aren't in the public's face every day and really, really simple to understand... the American public remains blissfully ignorant.

I dont see how that's possible with the constant drone of the media both traditional and non-traditional telling us how we're becomming a police state.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
I dont see how that's possible with the constant drone of the media both traditional and non-traditional telling us how we're becomming a police state.

Media coverage of the issues that effect civil liberties (i.e. warrantless searches and wiretaps, etc.) has been minimal. What people see more of, I think, is things like increased security at airports and events. That is what they are interpereting as resrictions. And in those cases I agree, they really aren't restricting or effecting my liberties.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)
Media coverage of the issues that effect civil liberties (i.e. warrantless searches and wiretaps, etc.) has been minimal. What people see more of, I think, is things like increased security at airports and events. That is what they are interpereting as resrictions. And in those cases I agree, they really aren't restricting or effecting my liberties.

I couldn't disagree more. The media has been talking about wiretaps and the Patriot Act constantly since they came to light. ( I wish I had access to Lexis/Nexis to get a hard number )

I think the bottom line here is that most of this stuff really doesn't have an effect on people's daily lives, in spite of the hysteria, and as such they don't percieve it as a threat.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
I think the bottom line here is that most of this stuff really doesn't have an effect on people's daily lives, in spite of the hysteria, and as such they don't percieve it as a threat.

Absolutely. And that's true both of the threat itself (terror), and the actions taken against it by governments. Therefore, most people tend to be nonchalant about it, until something bad happens.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh:

39>34>25

Edit: If you add the two you highlighted, then the point changes but that 39% is still too large of a number. Of course this sample size was just over a 1000 people, so I don't put too much stock in it.

In regards to the patriot act, isn't that more of infringing on our current civil liberties opposed to "restricting" people's civil liberties? Maybe it's just the way I read it.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
:huh:

39>34>25

Edit: If you add the two you highlighted, then the point changes but that 39% is still too large of a number. Of course this sample size was just over a 1000 people, so I don't put too much stock in it.

In regards to the patriot act, isn't that more of infringing on our current civil liberties opposed to "restricting" people's civil liberties? Maybe it's just the way I read it.

1000+ people is a pretty representative sample size if the sample is selected randomly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1000+ people is a pretty representative sample size if the sample is selected randomly.

.....for 300 million U.S. Citizens?

I really not too big of a fans on telephone or internet polls anyways. My brother loves messing with them (giving the same answer to two conflicting questions,) but I usually tells them I have zero interest in politics and I don't even know who the president is.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
.....for 300 million U.S. Citizens?

I really not too big of a fans on telephone or internet polls anyways. My brother loves messing with them (giving the same answer to two conflicting questions,) but I usually tells them I have zero interest in politics and I don't even know who the president is.

Yeah, amazing isn't it? When the statistical margin of error is +/- 3%, that is considered a pretty statistically significant survey.