An Unexpected Vacation...

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
Gave my two weeks yesterday because I got an amazing job offer...

...came to work this morning and they said "pack your bags."

so, I get two weeks paid vacation.

Any ideas for things to do?

:cheers :cheers

go to vegas and make sure you drink milwaukee's best light...brewed for a man's taste

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 08:24 AM)
I guess that is becoming more and more popular with companies not wanting people to stick around after they give their notice. I just got my serverence package today from my last job, and I gotta say that it is nice getting paid to go away. :)

the best part is my new job asked if I could start earlier...so I'll be paid by two places at the same time.

whatever, sounds good to me.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
the best part is my new job asked if I could start earlier...so I'll be paid by two places at the same time.

whatever, sounds good to me.

I did the samething. I could have taken the serverence and sat out a while and lived off of that, but I decided to go ahead and be able to pay some stuff off and have some money for once.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)

Read the new Richard Dawkins book.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
I guess that is becoming more and more popular with companies not wanting people to stick around after they give their notice. I just got my serverence package today from my last job, and I gotta say that it is nice getting paid to go away. :)

Yep, yet some employers still get pissed if they get less than a 2 weeks notice. What's the point? They're gonna bounce you on the spot anyway. They expect loyalty and respect, but can't give it in return.

I was at a job where I had saved and rolled over all of my vacation time for like 2 years, so I took a month off and as soon as I got back, walked off the job. Needless to say, they were very unhappy and were trying to find a way to screw me out of my vacation pay. They even got their attorney involved who told them there was nothing they could do.

My boss had the audacity to say "well, we tried to work with you over the past couple months..."

however, when I asked for a raise she said "you should be happy with what you're getting"

loads of teamwork and working together in those statements. Needless to say, I'm moving on to a much better situation. I get to be one of the bosses.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
My boss had the audacity to say "well, we tried to work with you over the past couple months..."

however, when I asked for a raise she said "you should be happy with what you're getting"

loads of teamwork and working together in those statements. Needless to say, I'm moving on to a much better situation. I get to be one of the bosses.

Often times raises have nothing to do with performance. Companies have already budgeted how much each department will get as an increase as a whole and then your boss gets stuck with the job of making up reasons as to why you shouldn't and won't get more.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Often times raises have nothing to do with performance. Companies have already budgeted how much each department will get as an increase as a whole and then your boss gets stuck with the job of making up reasons as to why you shouldn't and won't get more.

oh, I understand the process....she just shouldn't have acted shocked when i walked. In fact, I'm insulted because more or less she's said through her actions she didn't think i would find anything better out there.

well, I did...and they found ME.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)

Post here and really invest your time. :D

Jim

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
Yep, yet some employers still get pissed if they get less than a 2 weeks notice. What's the point? They're gonna bounce you on the spot anyway. They expect loyalty and respect, but can't give it in return.

I was at a job where I had saved and rolled over all of my vacation time for like 2 years, so I took a month off and as soon as I got back, walked off the job. Needless to say, they were very unhappy and were trying to find a way to screw me out of my vacation pay. They even got their attorney involved who told them there was nothing they could do.

I quit giving a crap what my employers thought once I realized that 99% of companies won't extent you the same common courtesies that they ask for out of you.

well, day one (technically day 4) is going great. I have so much to do this week. I'm glad they paid for my time off :lol:

The important thing to stress is that I understand their motives for letting me go early. I'm going from one financial institution to another and they don't want me taking info with me that could lure clients away. So I'm a victim of policy.....

Boo low paying former jobs...

Hooray policy!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
I say have lots of sex.

this is a really, really good idea....

Unfortunately, I prescribe to following my Judeo-Christian values.

I do have plenty of time to plan honeymoon stuff and take 5 cold showers each day. That's a plus.

I remember my whoel department got laid off at the beginning of November in 2003. Got an awesome severence check and 18 months insurance. I took the holidays off, lounged around, and got a new job in Feb. It was niiiiiice.