Dave Roberts looking like a strong possibility

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
Honestly, how does this improve our ballclub? Look at the roster, people: LF may be one of the few positions Williams can realistically improve. SS and CF are the only other viable areas for improvement, but it's not clear whether Anderson or Uribe are at risk of losing their jobs.

-He's a much better baserunner and basestealer than Podsednik. He's effective and efficient in his steals.

-His ZR ranked first in all of baseball, well ahead of the number two guy, Matt Murton. Then again, ZR liked Scott Podsednik, too (third among all qualified LFers). In the fans scouting report (found here), Roberts rated just slightly above average. Looks like he'd be a fairly similar defender to Pods; weak arm, fairly weak OF instincts, but good speed to make up for poor jumps.

-Roberts' OBP the past two seasons have been .356 and .360. Other than Iguchi, I don't there's any other reasonable number one or two hitters who could do that (this of course discludes the 3-4-5 guys).

If KW brings Roberts in to leadoff, do you think he'd be bringing him in as a LF or a CF? Like just about everyone else on this site, I want Pods gone. Are we sure that KW wants him gone too? Is KW sold on Anderson in CF?

I think if you read in between the lines, it's pretty clear that Scotty isn't coming back next year. Kenny hasn't said a lot about this offseason, but I seem to remember an article talking about replacing Uribe, and Kenny pretty much jumped right to Juan's defense (this was prior to the shooting, not that that makes a huge difference). When Pods came back, there was a real clear difference between how he 'backed up' Uribe and how he sort of left the LF spot open to question.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of signing Roberts, but it wouldn't be the worst possible solution (which of course would be giving either Matthews Jr or Pierre big money).

Edited by CWSGuy406

I think Roberts is too big of an injury risk to gamble on. Though it might mean overpaying for a guy like Pierre, the sox should be able to count him in for 160 games.

Roberts should get a decent contract as well. Not Pierre money. But he'll get $5 mill a yr for 2 yrs at least. Pierre should get like $8 mill a yr over 3 yrs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
With both Sweeney and Fields waiting in the winds...I could understand Roberts as a cheap, 1-2 year stop-gap solution. But it all depends on the $$.

I think the fact that there are solid OF this year in FA like Soriano and Lee, and also two perceived better leadoff options in Matthews Jr. and Pierre, his price would not be that bad. I would say a 2-year deal at $10 million with a third year team option at around the same salary.

The other thing Roberts can do that Pods seems to have lost is bunt. The Sox need someone who can bunt their way on and Roberts is that guy. If he's going to be an injury risk (even though we have the best trainer in MLB) I'd say 2-years with LOTS of incentives.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
I would consider Roberts a considerable upgrade over Pods.

The problem is Roberts has always been known to have some nagging health issues. If we get him, we'd have to make an upgrade to the top of the order at SS as well (ie having someone like Rollins to team up with Roberts).

That would also allow Iguchi to slide down and take what Uribe's old spot in the lineup was (which would really solidify the lower portion of the lineup).

Actually, I have an idea that may be expensive but that would significantly upgrade our defense and top of the order at the same time.

You sign Roberts as a stop gap (allows either Sweeney or Fields to get AB's in LF; If its Sweeney than he also backs up in CF and RF giving him tons of AB's, with Mack staying on as well as a backup outfielder/infielder).

You sign Gary Matthews Jr. Yes, he's going to get paid a lot for a guy coming off a career year but his past two seasons have been very very solid and he has a good eye who hit the same against LHP and RHP last season (switch hitter). He is also a tremendous defensive CFer.

This allows the Sox to push Iguchi down into Juan Uribe's spot in the lineup and free's up two prospects (Brian Anderson and Josh Fields) whom we can trade for good young pitching or other things we could use.

You than deal Freddy Garcia (or one of our starters) for prospects to insert McCarthy into the rotation. After that you can stick with your rotation and use some of that young pitching or just sign a bullpen arm or two and call it an off-season.

You significantly upgrade the top of the order (Roberts/Matthews Jr.), free up some payroll from that rotation (albeit it, it goes straight to the top of the order), and get us some good prospects (whoever we get for Freddy), plus the team now has the ability to make some serious moves at the trade deadline (cause we'd have prospects to dangle if we needed to).

On top of that we can't forget that Fields/Anderson would be able to land us a good power arm or two that could really tie out the pen.

I see the potential attractiveness of Chisoxfn's plans, but I'm going to give the reasons why I don't like it as constructed.

1. Matthews Jr.'s season last year is going to earn him a contract beyond what I think he's worth, and almost certainly beyond what we'd be willing to pay. To cover the contracts combined of Matthews Jr. and Roberts would almost certainly require trading 2 starters if there is not another significant total salary increase.

2. Adding in a lot of salary in the OF dramatically reduces our salary flexibility if we wish to make an effort to hold on to Crede, Dye, and Buehrle, who between them could look to make something like an additional $10-$20 milliion in the next few years.

3. Matthews Jr. had a career year last year in a contract year playing in Texas. Players who have career years in contract years are inherently dangerous, if you expect them to be anywhere close to similar production the next years.

4. Anderson is, IMO, key to this team, just because he is so cheap. We're talkign about exchanging a $400k a year player for a $10 million a year + player. Subtracting Anderson hurts this team in the long run even if it adds in performance unless we are willing and able to make a run at paying the luxury tax.

I just think a lot of these ideas are being constructed based on money the team won't have to spend. THey didn't get a postseason boost last year, they already committed a lot of salary the year before, and they have a number of guys who will be looking for big raises if they're going to stay even until 2008.

I tend to think that Matthews had a breakout year vs. a career year. He'll get a big contract and he'll earn it, IMO. Everyone always said he had talent and once he hooked up with the Texas hitting coach he took off. Couldn't BA play LF if Matthews moved into CF?

anyway, the thing that scares me most about this off season is losing Freddy Garcia and keeping Javy Vasquez. The trib points out that Freddy battled through a stiff shoulder that resulted in his loss of velocity. He learned to pitch around it and if he gets some of the pop back on his fastball he's going to be a stud again. I just hope we don't give up on him.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I tend to think that Matthews had a breakout year vs. a career year. He'll get a big contract and he'll earn it, IMO. Everyone always said he had talent and once he hooked up with the Texas hitting coach he took off. Couldn't BA play LF if Matthews moved into CF?

anyway, the thing that scares me most about this off season is losing Freddy Garcia and keeping Javy Vasquez. The trib points out that Freddy battled through a stiff shoulder that resulted in his loss of velocity. He learned to pitch around it and if he gets some of the pop back on his fastball he's going to be a stud again. I just hope we don't give up on him.

I agree. I thing trading Garcia could be a big mistake.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)

Vazquez = 4 months w/ ERA under 4.

Garcia = 2 months w/ ERA under 4

Vazquez also had 2 months with a WHIP below 1 as well as 4 months total with a WHIP below 1.30. Garcia had 2 months throughout the entire year where he had a WHIP below 1.30(and they were very good months too, 1.11 and 0.85).

Plain and simply, Vazquez had just as many dominant months as Garcia did, and he had 2 more good months than Garcia did. The only thing he did that Garcia didn't was completely blow up and get torched for about a million runs.

Garcia also has value, and will almost assuredly be lost in FA following the 2007 season, whereas they'll lose Vazquez following 2008.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
Garcia also has value, and will almost assuredly be lost in FA following the 2007 season, whereas they'll lose Vazquez following 2008.

The White Sox do not necessarily have to pick up Vazquez's option in 2008 if I recall correctly, and I believe it was rather expensive given his past performance.

If Buehrle can't be signed to an extension, Buehrle must be the first one traded. But then after that...it comes down to Vazquez and Garcia and whichever one of them will bring the most back in a trade.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Vazquez = 4 months w/ ERA under 4.

Garcia = 2 months w/ ERA under 4

Vazquez also had 2 months with a WHIP below 1 as well as 4 months total with a WHIP below 1.30. Garcia had 2 months throughout the entire year where he had a WHIP below 1.30(and they were very good months too, 1.11 and 0.85).

Plain and simply, Vazquez had just as many dominant months as Garcia did, and he had 2 more good months than Garcia did. The only thing he did that Garcia didn't was completely blow up and get torched for about a million runs.

the difference is that Javy was healthy for the entire season. When Freddy's healthy he's a far more effective pitcher than Javy.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
2 Names I want to bring up.

Bobby Kielty. Not as a starter, but try to get him on the Southside, make sure you somehow get him in the lineup when a LH is on the mound. We need more bodies that can hit LH, it's simple.

The other interests me. Moises Alou. Before you just laugh and dismiss it, look at the splits. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...p;type=batting3

Almost 300 AB's vs. LHP the last 3 years, and owns a .337 average. Last year it was .349 in 83 AB's. He is not the answer for the lead off spot obviously, but as I said before, we need more bodies on this team that can hit LHP, plain and simple.

Im not saying Alou is the answer. But as of right now, IMO outside of the pitching woes we saw last season, the biggest concern was our lack of hitting tough LHP, and we faced the most of it. No other team faced more LHP. It doesnt look like it's going to get any better either.

You beat me to Moises Alou. I haven't been on Sox talk in a while, but when I noticed his name in ESPN magazine, it struck me as an immediate fit for the Sox. When he's not playing LF, he could spell Thome against lefties. Thome couldn't hit lefties at all -- slugging below .400 against them. Meanwhile, Alou slugged .571 last season.

My biggest question is what kind of contract might Alou demand? He's 40, but would he take a 1-year deal? Is he looking for anything close to the $7.5 million he got last year? Could the Sox get him for a 1-year guarantee of $5-6 million with a second year option for a similar amount but a $1 mill. buyout? My other question is whether he's completely healthy (he played only 98 games last season).

As for Roberts, he just doesn't do much for me, especially if he wants a raise. I'd rather sign a true hitter like Alou and use Mack to back him up or spell him against right handers.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
You beat me to Moises Alou. I haven't been on Sox talk in a while, but when I noticed his name in ESPN magazine, it struck me as an immediate fit for the Sox. When he's not playing LF, he could spell Thome against lefties. Thome couldn't hit lefties at all -- slugging below .400 against them. Meanwhile, Alou slugged .571 last season.

My biggest question is what kind of contract might Alou demand? He's 40, but would he take a 1-year deal? Is he looking for anything close to the $7.5 million he got last year? Could the Sox get him for a 1-year guarantee of $5-6 million with a second year option for a similar amount but a $1 mill. buyout? My other question is whether he's completely healthy (he played only 98 games last season).

As for Roberts, he just doesn't do much for me, especially if he wants a raise. I'd rather sign a true hitter like Alou and use Mack to back him up or spell him against right handers.

The Alou idea really isn't a bad one, problem is Ozzie isn't going to platoon Moises and Thome in the dh spot, it's just not going to happen.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like the Alou idea too, but who plays LF when there is a lefty on the mound? Mack is the worst against LHP.