Is it just me?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

or would frank catalanotto be a great fit for the white sox? i think he would be a cheap alternative for an everday LF that can play decent D hit around .300 in the #2 slot and a guy that had 52 walks compared to only 37 strikeouts in 128 games in '06. i say a 3 year deal would be a great option for the sox which would also give them time to bring along sweeney slower and catalanotto is another player that is very versatile so even a year or two into the deal he could easily shift over to RF or if the sox are deep enough in OF at that point would be a great utility/backup OF.

what do you guys think?

Catalanotto is no good against LHP and our offense against LHP is a main concern for next year. He would be nice in a platoon situation. Catalanotto/Cruz Jr. is an option that comes to mind.

Edited by 3E8

I don't like the idea of singing Catallanato for several reasons: one, I doubt he'll come cheap; and two, as 3e8 mentioned, Frank doesn't solve our problem against LHP. This is crucial when you consider the collection of quality lefties within our division.

Even Dave Roberts doesn't do anything for me. If I had to guess, it's the influence of Guillen here requesting Williams find a lefthanded bat with speed. It shouldn't matter. Why substitute Podsednik for a more expensive, older version of himself?

If it were my decision, I'd search for a RH bat to platoon with Mackowiak in LF. Even if it were via trade, I believe acquiring the proper player could significantly improve our chances against LHP.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

yes he isnt the greatest option against LHP (.248 over the last 3 years) but i still think he could do enough against lefties to be a productive #2 hitter against lefties and righties and i think provides more flexibility than a guy like dave roberts for a similar price. i think roberts is a bad option right now at 34 and despite a good year last year you just gotta wonder when his legs are going to slow and he will become a much less valuable player without his speed

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
yes he isnt the greatest option against LHP (.248 over the last 3 years) but i still think he could do enough against lefties to be a productive #2 hitter against lefties and righties and i think provides more flexibility than a guy like dave roberts for a similar price. i think roberts is a bad option right now at 34 and despite a good year last year you just gotta wonder when his legs are going to slow and he will become a much less valuable player without his speed

Roberts would be here for 2 years at the most...I don't see his age being a huge factor.

He is injury prone, which is a huge concern. He'd also be moving from a very open ballpark with lots of room for hits to fall in to a very small ballpark with much less room for hits. The last factor won't matter, especially if the 1-2 in the order are putting up OBP's of around .340-.360 on a consistent basis.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
I don't like the idea of singing Catallanato for several reasons: one, I doubt he'll come cheap; and two, as 3e8 mentioned, Frank doesn't solve our problem against LHP. This is crucial when you consider the collection of quality lefties within our division.

Even Dave Roberts doesn't do anything for me. If I had to guess, it's the influence of Guillen here requesting Williams find a lefthanded bat with speed. It shouldn't matter. Why substitute Podsednik for a more expensive, older version of himself?

If it were my decision, I'd search for a RH bat to platoon with Mackowiak in LF. Even if it were via trade, I believe acquiring the proper player could significantly improve our chances against LHP.

Dave Roberts can bunt. And look like he knows what he's doing in the outfield. And take a pitch. Is he ideal? No, but he's cheaper than the other options and better than Pods.