Sox don't want to resign Riske

Reddy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
I would love Henry Blanco. The guy has a rifle behind the plate and is the exact sort of defensive backup we could use. That or give the backup job to Stewart.

I wouldn't love the needless extra 2 million dollars he'd cost over Stewart for a team that already will have a tightening budget to work on. Blanco might be the best backup in the league, but we can't be spending a couple million extra at that spot when you have a cheap, young backup in Stewie.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Why do we have to have so many guys making the league min in our bullpen? Is there some kind of rule I'm missing?

Yeah, it's called the "we've got all our money tied up in the rotation and on Konerko, Dye, Thome, Iguchi, and soon to be Crede" rule.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
I wouldn't love the needless extra 2 million dollars he'd cost over Stewart for a team that already will have a tightening budget to work on. Blanco might be the best backup in the league, but we can't be spending a couple million extra at that spot when you have a cheap, young backup in Stewie.

Yeah, it's called the "we've got all our money tied up in the rotation and on Konerko, Dye, Thome, Iguchi, and soon to be Crede" rule.

offensively stewart deserved a demotion based on his stats at AAA last year, not a promotion

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)

Blanco's pretty well known for being a good game caller, has a cannon for an arm(which will in turn obviously help shut down the running game, which would be nice as hell to have some sort of arm with Contreras/Garcia on the mound), and he has always hit LHP pretty well, atleast in regards with slugging.

I think it'd be a wise investment to bring in Blanco, not a poor one. It may just mean that Cintron has to go.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Blanco's pretty well known for being a good game caller, has a cannon for an arm(which will in turn obviously help shut down the running game, which would be nice as hell to have some sort of arm with Contreras/Garcia on the mound), and he has always hit LHP pretty well, atleast in regards with slugging.

I think it'd be a wise investment to bring in Blanco, not a poor one. It may just mean that Cintron has to go.

I'm aware of the bolded, which is the main reason why I don't want Blanco. I have no faith that Mack can play 3rd if Joe's back falls off, but I do have faith Cintron can. And I'm not convinced the organization is ready to let Fields play (or if Josh is even ready to play) there everyday if Joe's back has a significant issue. It's one thing to put Fields at 3B and say good luck rookie if we had A Rod at SS, it's another to do so with Uribe still at SS.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
I think Mackowiak should be the odd man out. With Cintron and Gload on the bench, I'm happy with the lefty bats we have. Also, getting rid of Mackowiak would ease our blood pressure, as Ozzie won't be able to keep putting him in CF.

He'll put Gload out there or something. Ozzie is a lock to do 3 or 4 things every year on a consistent basis just to ruin my life.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Mackowiak should be the odd man out. With Cintron and Gload on the bench, I'm happy with the lefty bats we have. Also, getting rid of Mackowiak would ease our blood pressure, as Ozzie won't be able to keep putting him in CF.

Mack is a much better hitter than Cintron, and who's to say that Mack replacement won't be misused by Guillen because of his lack of faith in BA? :huh:

The bullpen is what gave me a few gray hairs this season. I am anxious to find out who the Sox are going get to replace Brandon in the pen. Riske was useless. Don't know if Sean Tracey is ready or not but he won't be bad to put in the bullpen.

Edited by whitesox1976

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
I'm aware of the bolded, which is the main reason why I don't want Blanco. I have no faith that Mack can play 3rd if Joe's back falls off, but I do have faith Cintron can. And I'm not convinced the organization is ready to let Fields play (or if Josh is even ready to play) there everyday if Joe's back has a significant issue. It's one thing to put Fields at 3B and say good luck rookie if we had A Rod at SS, it's another to do so with Uribe still at SS.

Why would you have no faith in Mackowiak at 3B? He played 25 innings there this year...less than 3 full games worth. If he is given the opportunity to play it on a semi-consistent basis off the bench, I'm sure he'd prove more than adequate there if for an extended period of time. Hell, the reason Mackowiak was brought in was to be an insurance policy in case Crede's back went out. Why would that plan just be completely forgotten because Ozzie never played him there ever?

Cintron is a nice bat off the bench when you can afford it, but he's very easily replaceable, and he's almost undoubtedly going to cost around $2.25 mill, whereas Mackowiak is making $2.75 mill. I'll take the added power along with the added versatility of Mackowiak over Cintron.

I also see no reason as to why Josh Fields wouldn't be able to take over 3B either, regardless of how good he is defensively. The problem with Josh Fields is that he may not be in the White Sox organization at all next year.

(and Uribe's like 3x the defender ARod is, so I couldn't care less regarding that scenario)

I know everyone is really worried about payroll as usual, and I am not quite sure why. We do this dance every year about it, and it always follows total revenues, that never changes. The Sox are going to have all of their season tickets sold again for 2007, plus about an extra $5 million from their new suites/club seats. With the huge increase in attendance last year, plus the new revenue sources, the Sox could very well be looking at a payroll in the $120 million neighborhood if they find players to their liking. I would bet money it is at least $110 million.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 05:01 AM)
Mack is a much better hitter than Cintron, and who's to say that Mack replacement won't be misused by Guillen because of his lack of faith in BA? :huh:

To me, Cintron is much more valuable. He can play 3 positions soundly enough that you don't cringe every time the ball is hit to him. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a back-up outfielder than it is someone who can play 2B/SS/3B. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Mackowiak fan. However, his salary is pretty high this upcoming season, and I'd rather try to open up some payroll to sign a legit back-up catcher with the money we can save by getting rid of him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
To me, Cintron is much more valuable. He can play 3 positions soundly enough that you don't cringe every time the ball is hit to him. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a back-up outfielder than it is someone who can play 2B/SS/3B. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Mackowiak fan. However, his salary is pretty high this upcoming season, and I'd rather try to open up some payroll to sign a legit back-up catcher with the money we can save by getting rid of him.

I think the best argument for dumping Rob Mackowiak is also the most simple one. If Rob Mackowiak is not on the White Sox, Rob Mackowiak will never be put in Center Field for the White Sox, which, for example last year, might well have turned into 5-10 more wins for the team.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
I saw the exact opposite when watching Riske, and was very unimpressed. Not suprising at all Riske will not be brought back.

I agree. Riske did not perform the way I think the Sox expected him to. Hermanson, Logan and Tracey didn't do the job either. Hermamnson is a great competitior, but physically is a concern.

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
I looked at the free agency list for RPs.

Not much out there any better than Riske. :(

But...the White Sox have a ton of potential trading chips if that's what we want to use one for. Mackowiak, Cotts, part of the deal with one of the starting pitchers, Fields/Crede, Iguchi, etc. Remember how casually Vizcaino was slipped into the Vazquez and Podsednik deals? We're not looking for a Brad Lidge here, not that he'd hurt, but we really don't need a big name with the other fireballers in our pen, just someone moderately reliable.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
If there aren't any free agents out there better than Riske they our bullpen will be the same as it was this season. :angry:

Except hopefully a full season from MMac, BMac in the rotation and likely Haeger in the bullpen, no 2 months of Cliff "10 ERA" Politte, and maybe with a little luck Cotts or Logan finding some cojones.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
I disagree, I'll take my chances with Neal.

ummm ok, based on what? Keep in mind that they also dont compete for the same position mostly

Cotts

2004 5.65

2005 1.94

2006 5.17

Riske

2002 5.26

2003 2.29

2004 3.72

2005 3.10

2006 3.89

I would say the safer bet is with Riske, and he is definatley a better option than "hoping" someone from AAA will come up and be a good pitcher. Riske also happens to be pretty damn effective when given 70+ innings of work.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
ummm ok, based on what? Keep in mind that they also dont compete for the same position mostly

Cotts

2004 5.65

2005 1.94

2006 5.17

Riske

2002 5.26

2003 2.29

2004 3.72

2005 3.10

2006 3.89

I would say the safer bet is with Riske, and he is definatley a better option than "hoping" someone from AAA will come up and be a good pitcher. Riske also happens to be pretty damn effective when given 70+ innings of work.

Cause Neal has more upside and I still think he's going to be a real good long term reliever. Yes he had a horrible year but that does happen with relievers now and then. Like I said, I'll take my chances with Neal.