Sox don't want to resign Riske

Reddy

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
I think the best argument for dumping Rob Mackowiak is also the most simple one. If Rob Mackowiak is not on the White Sox, Rob Mackowiak will never be put in Center Field for the White Sox, which, for example last year, might well have turned into 5-10 more wins for the team.

The Sox actually had a slightly better record when Mac started. This is from MLB press pass.

Player......Sox Record

Anderson 58-48 .547

Mackowiak 28-23 .549

Sweeney 2-1 .667

Owens 2-0 1.000

The real issue is neither of them played championship level ball, one couldn't hit and one couldn't field. Your 5-10 wins estimate could be spot on but you have to apply it to both of them. The team MUST get a legitimate major league center fielder.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Cause Neal has more upside and I still think he's going to be a real good long term reliever. Yes he had a horrible year but that does happen with relievers now and then. Like I said, I'll take my chances with Neal.

ah, so ignore all numbers and go by your "feelings" I understand.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
ah, so ignore all numbers and go by your "feelings" I understand.

Yup, all the numbers=era for relievers. Neal had better peripherals last season and is one year removed from an outstanding season. He's younger than Riske and has better stuff than David does. Also, Neal's 2004 season was as a starting pitcher, he's not a starter. Neal will be the better pitcher in 07, no doubt in my mind.

If the Sox can't grab someone from free agency or through a trade, I'd like to see the Sox delve into the Japanese market to see if they could pull out a pitcher. The White Sox position should be fairly intriguing to Japanese relievers; they'd be coming to a place where two other Japanese players have had success, the pressure wouldn't be huge as they'd be asked to be a middle reliever, as opposed to a closer (although I'm sure this can turned as a negative, too), and I'm sure having another Japanese player already on the team would be appealing to some over there.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 1, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
If the Sox can't grab someone from free agency or through a trade, I'd like to see the Sox delve into the Japanese market to see if they could pull out a pitcher. The White Sox position should be fairly intriguing to Japanese relievers; they'd be coming to a place where two other Japanese players have had success, the pressure wouldn't be huge as they'd be asked to be a middle reliever, as opposed to a closer (although I'm sure this can turned as a negative, too), and I'm sure having another Japanese player already on the team would be appealing to some over there.

And there's enough Japanese pitchers out there in the FA market (or if they're posted) that I hope we target a few guys there.

Start to think outside the box a little, especially when the FA market for relievers isn't all that deep (but then again, it never really is).