Broken Bats

My Dixie Normus

Let me start by saying the I am not advocating the introduction of aluminum bats. But something needs to happen with the bats to decrease the number of broken bats. I can never remember a season that had so many broken bats as this past year. Several came close to players and coaches but I also remember a few into the stands. It is just dumb luck that someone hasn't gotten hurt or worse. MLB should address this with manufacturers. Thicker handles? I don't know. But something should be done before a player, or God forbid, a fan in the stands gets hurt.

Discuss...

Having aliminum bats would create 1000 times more injuries as the balls would be going into the stands farther and the pitchers would been in far greater danger as well (as the balls would be reaching the pitcher faster giving him even less time to react).

Broken bats are a part of the game, but more are breaking now because of the use of some of the softer woods.

I think there are a couple of other reasons it is happening.

There is no batters box anymore. Most hitters today set up with their back foot on the catchers shine guard with an open stance and pitchers are throwing harder than they ever have. They are getting inside pitches called strikes. They are just sawing these bats off.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Does anyone know why they started using softer woods?

Didn't bats used to be made of ash?

They used to be made of ash primarily, but hitters have switched to maple because for its size, it is lighter, getting them through the hitting zone quicker.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
Thinner handles have a lot to do with it, too. Look at bats from 20-30 years ago compared to bats now.

this is the biggest reason I've seen.

Wish they would outlaw aluminum in the NCAA. I feel like we're just waiting for someone to be killed on the mound until a change is made.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
Let me start by saying the I am not advocating the introduction of aluminum bats. But something needs to happen with the bats to decrease the number of broken bats. I can never remember a season that had so many broken bats as this past year. Several came close to players and coaches but I also remember a few into the stands. It is just dumb luck that someone hasn't gotten hurt or worse. MLB should address this with manufacturers. Thicker handles? I don't know. But something should be done before a player, or God forbid, a fan in the stands gets hurt.

Discuss...

Honestly, how often does a broken bat enter the stands?

I understand splinters of a broken bat may have jagged edges, but it's also flying at a substantially slower speed than if someone were to lose grip during their swing. That's what I've seen more often than not, is someone losing grip of the barrel and hurling their bat -- full strength -- into the crowd. It won't matter what the composition of the bat is in these instances.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

For the record, here are the MLB rules:

( a ) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2-3/4 inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood.

NOTE: No laminated or experimental bats shall be used in a professional game (either championship season or exhibition games) until the manufacturer has secured approval from the Rules Committee of his design and methods of manufacture.

( b ) Cupped Bats. An indentation in the end of the bat up to one inch in depth is permitted and may be no wider than two inches and no less than one inch in diameter. The indentation must be curved with no foreign substance added.

( c ) The bat handle, for not more than 18 inches from its end, may be covered or treated with any material or substance to improve the grip. Any such material or substance, which extends past the 18 inch limitation, shall cause the bat to be removed from the game.

NOTE: If the umpire discovers that the bat does not conform to © above until a time during or after which the bat has been used in play, it shall not be grounds for declaring the batter out, or ejected from the game.

( d ) No colored bat may be used in a professional game unless approved by the Rules Committee.