Cubs re-sign Aramis

whitesoxin'

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a lot of cash for a not so sure gloved 3B who doesn't hustle and is not exactly known as a clutch hitter. Not too mention he gets hurt often as well. i don't think the Cubs had a choice though cuz they would of had nobody to replace him.

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
It is a big signing. I think the Cubs are starting to show they mean business. Alot of teams would have wanted him. He left 20-25 guaranteed dollars on the table to come back to the Cubs.

I think this is just the beginnings of the Cubs going after it all.

$20M - $25M? No way was he going to be offered a contract like that. At the most he'd get a 6 year deal but most realistically he'd recieve 5 years. So that would be $18M - $19M a year for Aramis Ramirez? Um no.

"General manager Jim Hendry said Ramirez left as much as $30 million on the table to return, while Wood also came for less than he could've made on the open market.

"At the end of the day (Ramirez) really did want to be here," Hendry said. "it's not much secret that the figures being bantered around in his situation would've been much higher. I think that as good a deal as this obviously is for any player, I certainly believe there were six-or-seven-year deals out there for him, that certainly would've paid him $20-$30 million more than he got, guaranteed. He was the lucky beneficiary of being a free agent at a time when his services were certainly going to be needed by some quality clubs and some major market clubs."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
$20M - $25M? No way was he going to be offered a contract like that. At the most he'd get a 6 year deal but most realistically he'd recieve 5 years. So that would be $18M - $19M a year for Aramis Ramirez? Um no.

Yep, here's the paradox with Aramis Ramirez. He'll put up the numbers -- and big hits -- that reflect being worth $15 or $16 million, but ONLY as long as he's surrounded by other good hitters who are raking. Which, of course, demonstrates that he's not worth $15 or $16 million. The better the players around him, the harder he plays and the better he looks. That's the definition of a frontrunner. And that's what Aramis is.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
So he signed for longer and more per year than his original deal thanks to a clause in his contract that Hendry allowed, and Hendry's trying to say they're getting a "discount." Talk about a snake oil salesman.

He also claims that Kerry Wood had the chance to get a muti year deal for more money on the open market. He is hoping that the cubs fans believe everything out of his mouth.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Yep, here's the paradox with Aramis Ramirez. He'll put up the numbers -- and big hits -- that reflect being worth $15 or $16 million, but ONLY as long as he's surrounded by other good hitters who are raking. Which, of course, demonstrates that he's not worth $15 or $16 million. The better the players around him, the harder he plays and the better he looks. That's the definition of a frontrunner. And that's what Aramis is.

Well, he is going to be surrounded by Derek Lee which isn't bad at all..........

Plus he may be surrounded by Carlos lee or probably Soriano....

I just have a feeling they are going to make alot of noise ( which sickens me)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2006 -> 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He also claims that Kerry Wood had the chance to get a muti year deal for more money on the open market. He is hoping that the cubs fans believe everything out of his mouth.

...and how would he know after the exclusive negotiations rights ended less than 12 hours before either guy signed? :huh:

Hendry is full of it.

I just don't get this. If I'm Hendry I am CLEANING HOUSE. You've got a team full of losers. It's like the Bulls who just kept losing and losing and Pax came in and cleared out all the losers, and they turned things around. Unless he's banking on Piniella being enough to change the mojo of that team 180 degrees, even aside from cost, I don't like these moves for them. Cub fans have gotta be getting tired of seeing these faces in their uniforms (especially Wood).

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
I just don't get this. If I'm Hendry I am CLEANING HOUSE. You've got a team full of losers. It's like the Bulls who just kept losing and losing and Pax came in and cleared out all the losers, and they turned things around. Unless he's banking on Piniella being enough to change the mojo of that team 180 degrees, even aside from cost, I don't like these moves for them. Cub fans have gotta be getting tired of seeing these faces in their uniforms (especially Wood).

It's not that Paxson just got rid of everyone because they were congenital losers, it's that noone could play d except Tyson, and his salary got out of whack. Ramirez is a great offensive player and a defensively average 3b. (Yes, even though he's made some bad looking plays.) But of course they'd be better with Scott Spiezio, since the Cards won the WS. Please...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
It's not that Paxson just got rid of everyone because they were congenital losers, it's that noone could play d except Tyson, and his salary got out of whack. Ramirez is a great offensive player and a defensively average 3b. (Yes, even though he's made some bad looking plays.) But of course they'd be better with Scott Spiezio, since the Cards won the WS. Please...

Well you can take or leave the parallels between cleaning house and the Paxson/Bulls reference, but SOMETHING has to be wrong with them, right? They're probably not congenital losers, but it seems to happen when you go to the North side. What I'm saying is if I was a Cubs fan, I'd want a whole lot of new faces in there. I'm not saying that's necessarily what a GM should do, just what fans should want.

And maybe I've eaten up the whole 'Paxson brought in kids from winning programs and it's changed the mentality of the ballclub' thing a bit too much, but I think it has some merit. I've always loved a good rebuilding phase, but then again I'm a glutton for punishment. The '90 and '00 Sox were some great, fun seasons as a fan.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this contract seems like its going to screw the sox over if/when the decide to re-sign Crede. I just see Boras asking for at least that much, if not more, to get Crede re-signed. I hope I'm wrong, but thats the way I see the Aramis signing

QUOTE(slick03 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this contract seems like its going to screw the sox over if/when the decide to re-sign Crede. I just see Boras asking for at least that much, if not more, to get Crede re-signed. I hope I'm wrong, but thats the way I see the Aramis signing

I'd be surprised if Crede was in the Sox plans for 2008.