So gross

Steff

Kobayashi eats 97 burgers in 8 minutes

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee

Japanese eating champion Takeru Kobayashi won his third straight Krystal hamburger-eating contest, setting a new world record in the process. Kobayashi ate 97 of the small, square hamburgers in eight minutes on Saturday.

That beat the previous record of 69 burgers, which he set at the first Krystal contest in 2004.

Joey Chestnut of San Jose, California, came in second place Saturday by eating 91 hamburgers, and Pat Bertoletti of Chicago ate 76.

Kobayashi, who is from Nagano, also holds the title of hot dog-eating champion, after eating 49 hot dogs in 12 minutes at the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog-Eating Contest at Coney Island, New York. Despite his capacity to eat, he weighs 172 pounds.

Krystal, the oldest fast-food chain in the South, holds two-minute qualifying rounds in eight Southern cities in the months leading up to the championship.

The Krystal finals are governed by the International Federation of Competitive Eating. Founded by brothers Richard and George Shea in 1997, it regulates events for safety and keeps records on everything from meatballs to green chiles.

:puke

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
How does that work? I just don't get how it's possible to get so much into such a small area. His plummer either loves him or hates him. No in-between for thta guy.

I bet he has tape worm. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
How does that work? I just don't get how it's possible to get so much into such a small area. His plummer either loves him or hates him. No in-between for thta guy.

They had a documentary about him and his background. They showed him literally eating 3 BUCKETS of pasta when visiting this famous Chef in Japan. He then tore into an all you can eat sushi place. It was unreal to say the least. Above all of that he is in tremendous shape, extremely lean and ripped. The guy was born to eat, there really is no other explanation.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Kobayashi!!! :headbang

I thought I read somewhere that his stomach is either shaped or positioned lower than that of most people (lower, maybe?). There's an 80% chance I saw it in Wikipedia. Either there or some article around the time of the Nathan's competition.

Wiki:

Kobayashi expands his stomach for a competition by eating larger and larger amounts of food, and then exercises to ensure that fat will not impede expansion of his stomach during a competition.[10] According to a 2006 documentary on MTV's "True Life," Kobayashi has a condition called gastroptosis, an abnormal downward displacement of the stomach. It plays a role in his eating ability because his stomach is able to expand below the rib cage unlike most people, allowing him to take in large portions of food.

Physically Kobayashi has undergone drastic change from his earlier appearances on the competitive eating circuit (weighing in at a mere 110 lb in his beginning competitions and then 144 lb in later events.) This is due in large part to his more recent endeavors in weight training. By training with weights and working out Kobayashi has increased his metabolism, which in turn has helped him to burn more calories. This training is used by Kobayashi to maintain his overall health as well as helping him to elude excess calories from being stored as fat. Kobayashi's official web site gives his height as 5 feet 7 inches and his weight as 165 pounds, but in a June 29, 2006, entry on his blog, he says that his weight grew to over 196 pounds during 2006, still being under 10 percent bodyfat.

Kobayashi is also known for his trademark body wiggle, affectionately known as "The Kobayashi Shake" which he uses to force food down his esophagus and settle more compactly in his stomach.[11] He eats the hot dogs by splitting the frankfurter in half, swallowing both parts at once, and then dipping the buns in water, Sprite, or 7-Up and stuffing it in his mouth. He calls this the Solomon method.[12]

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 31, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
I saw that True Life. It was insane watching him train for these contests, and he's ripped too.

I'm sure he has to hit the gym...otherwise Sumo Wrestling would take him away from eating contests.